Resource Conflict

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TheChillPill, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. TheChillPill

    TheChillPill Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 Laptop that has a resource conflict on
    the internal modem. The resources tab for the modem states;

    Conflicting device list;
    Input/Output Range 0000 - 0007 used by:
    Direct memory access controller
    Input/Output Range 0000 - 00FF used by:
    Direct memory access controller

    If I change the I/O range, there are no conflicts, however I get an error
    saying the port is already open. This remains upon restarting. I checked
    for any programs that may be starting up (ie winfax etc), but nothing
    showing up. If I remove the modem from the device manager, restart the
    system and reinstall - it comes back to having the conflict.

    Any help on this would be much appreciated!

    Lee

    TheChillPill, Aug 3, 2004

  2. TheChillPill

    Atreju Guest

    On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:58:21 GMT, "TheChillPill" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 Laptop that has a resource conflict on
    >the internal modem. The resources tab for the modem states;
    >
    >Conflicting device list;
    >Input/Output Range 0000 - 0007 used by:
    > Direct memory access controller
    >Input/Output Range 0000 - 00FF used by:
    > Direct memory access controller
    >
    >If I change the I/O range, there are no conflicts, however I get an error
    >saying the port is already open. This remains upon restarting. I checked
    >for any programs that may be starting up (ie winfax etc), but nothing
    >showing up. If I remove the modem from the device manager, restart the
    >system and reinstall - it comes back to having the conflict.
    >
    >Any help on this would be much appreciated!
    >
    >Lee

    Run the CMOS setup utility when booting up. You should be able to
    change resources there IF it is a built-in modem on the board. If it
    is a PCMCIA modem you will have to change the settings in device
    manager. Try to find a setting that is not already in use. Remember
    you cannot assign an internal modem to a COM port that already exists
    physically, such as a hardware serial port.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 3, 2004

  3. TheChillPill

    Ron Martell Guest

    "TheChillPill" <> wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 Laptop that has a resource conflict on
    >the internal modem. The resources tab for the modem states;
    >
    >Conflicting device list;
    >Input/Output Range 0000 - 0007 used by:
    > Direct memory access controller
    >Input/Output Range 0000 - 00FF used by:
    > Direct memory access controller
    >
    >If I change the I/O range, there are no conflicts, however I get an error
    >saying the port is already open. This remains upon restarting. I checked
    >for any programs that may be starting up (ie winfax etc), but nothing
    >showing up. If I remove the modem from the device manager, restart the
    >system and reinstall - it comes back to having the conflict.
    >
    >Any help on this would be much appreciated!

    Check with the Toshiba web site for any driver updates for your
    specific laptop model.

    Also check for a possible BIOS update, but be careful and read all of
    the documentation before you try to update the BIOS. A botched BIOS
    update can render your computer unusable.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Aug 3, 2004
  4. TheChillPill

    TheChillPill Guest

    Thanks to Ron & Atreju for your help - managed to figure out a way of
    getting into the Bios and changing the settings in there - now up and
    running :)

    Thanks again,

    Lee

    TheChillPill, Aug 4, 2004