    at 1280X960 and get 175 pictures. I am just going to take snap shots, so
    which one is better?

    Richard
    Richard Miller, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Richard Miller

    Don Coon Guest

    "Richard Miller" <> wrote in message
    news:GbVtb.4062$...
    > I have a 5 meg pixel camera and it said that I can set it at (FINE) VGA
    > which is 640X480 and get 175 pictures with 32 megs, or I can go to

    (Economy)
    > at 1280X960 and get 175 pictures. I am just going to take snap shots, so
    > which one is better?
    >
    > Richard

    If you're going to shoot .3MP (640x480) or 1.2MP (1280x960) why the heck did
    you buy a 5MP camera? I'd buy more memory cards but that's just my humble
    opinion.
    Don Coon, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Low = email
    Standard = snap shots
    Hight = blow ups

    Richard Miller, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Richard Miller

    Theo McD. Guest

    Allways shoot high, and then resize!!
    This way, you can also crop pictures!

    But hey, whatever!
    - Theo

    Theo McD., Nov 17, 2003
  5. Richard Miller wrote:

    > I have a 5 meg pixel camera and it said that I can set it at (FINE) VGA
    > which is 640X480 and get 175 pictures with 32 megs, or I can go to (Economy)
    > at 1280X960 and get 175 pictures. I am just going to take snap shots, so
    > which one is better?
    >
    > Richard

    It seems a shame to pay for a 5MP camera and restrict its use to 0.5-1.2 MP, but
    I assume you have your reasons.
    To answer your question directly, it is usually better to capture more pixels
    and use higher compression, than to capture fewer pixels and compress them less.

    SO, Use 1280 x 960 and Economy compression.
    Please consider getting a few 128 or 256 MB cards and shoot at 2560 X 1920 (or
    similar) at lowest compression.
    You will then have the option to print stunning 8 x 10s if you choose. You can
    always downsize the large image to a smaller one for e-mail/web use.. But if you
    capture at 1280 x 960 you will be limited to about 4 x 6 images of reasonable
    print quality.
    Bob Williams
    Robert E. Williams, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Richard Miller

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Richard Miller wrote:

    > I have a 5 meg pixel camera and it said that I can set it at (FINE) VGA
    > which is 640X480 and get 175 pictures with 32 megs, or I can go to (Economy)
    > at 1280X960 and get 175 pictures. I am just going to take snap shots, so
    > which one is better?
    >
    > Richard

    Even with a bit more compression, 1280x960 will be the best.

    With the cost of CF nowadays, why not just buy a 128 or 256Mb card and not
    worry about using the low resolution modes ?
    Jim Townsend, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Richard Miller

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:07:50 GMT, "Richard Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a 5 meg pixel camera and it said that I can set it at (FINE) VGA
    >which is 640X480 and get 175 pictures with 32 megs, or I can go to (Economy)
    >at 1280X960 and get 175 pictures. I am just going to take snap shots, so
    >which one is better?
    >
    >Richard

    I would almost always shoot at the maximum resolution/quality setting
    provided by the camera. How do you know that you wont have a gem that
    you want to print at 8x10?

    For snaps, a 2-3 MP is fine---and would leave you with money to buy
    memory cards
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Nov 17, 2003
  8. Richard Miller

    Don Stauffer Guest

    But what are you going to DO with the snapshots? Email them or put
    them on computer? Or will you be making prints with them, and if so how
    large?

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Nov 17, 2003
  9. "Richard Miller" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > I have a 5 meg pixel camera and it said that I can set it at (FINE) VGA
    > which is 640X480 and get 175 pictures with 32 megs, or I can go to

    (Economy)
    > at 1280X960 and get 175 pictures. I am just going to take snap shots, so
    > which one is better?

    1) Allways choose high resolution
    2) If short of memory, increase compression.

    Jpeg is effective!

    Because of that it is allways better to keep the resolution as high as
    possible and save space (if needed) by harder compression.

    Morgan O.
    Morgan Ohlson, Nov 18, 2003