    any way not to have my photos have a major difference in quality or
    resolution until I purchase a new digital.

    Thanks

    JoshB, Mar 14, 2005

  2. JoshB

    Alan Browne Guest

    JoshB wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been traveling and have all my photos transferred to my PC from
    > my digital camera, which I have now lost. I am wondering if I buy a
    > cheapish disposable camera, and get the files transferred to cd, what
    > resolution would they come out? My digital was 3.2 megapixels, and
    > when transferred the resolution (according to the mouseover in windows
    > xp) said something close to 2100 x 1800. Just wondering if there is
    > any way not to have my photos have a major difference in quality or
    > resolution until I purchase a new digital.

    2100 x 1800 = 3.8 Mpix. (Somewhat over 3.2)

    I'd say you haven't lost anything, other than your camera.

    As to "chepaish disposable camera", the film can go well beyond 3.2
    MPixels, but the lenses in the cameras don't deliver the resolution,
    esp. when a minilab makes the CD (they usually give poor res. results
    back compared to film-scanners that folks use at home).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Mar 14, 2005

  3. JoshB

    Rick Guest

    JoshB wrote:
    > I am wondering if I buy a
    > cheapish disposable camera

    They are rubbish, buy a cheap 35mm/aps (ebay is your friend)

    --

    Rick

    Digital Printing
    www.intelligence-direct.com - 01270 215550

    Rick, Mar 14, 2005
  4. JoshB

    Sheldon Guest

    "JoshB" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been traveling and have all my photos transferred to my PC from
    > my digital camera, which I have now lost. I am wondering if I buy a
    > cheapish disposable camera, and get the files transferred to cd, what
    > resolution would they come out? My digital was 3.2 megapixels, and
    > when transferred the resolution (according to the mouseover in windows
    > xp) said something close to 2100 x 1800. Just wondering if there is
    > any way not to have my photos have a major difference in quality or
    > resolution until I purchase a new digital.
    >
    > Thanks

    There's inexpensive and "cheap." Don't buy a cheap digital or disposable.
    You'll hate it. As someone else suggested, buy a 35mm before you get a
    cheap digital. Prices have really come down, so you should be able to get a
    new 3 megapixel camera for a lot less than you paid for the one you had.
    The only reason I would hold out or go cheap is because I'm saving for a
    nice dslr camera.

    And, like someone else pointed out, you only need a calculator to determine
    how much you are losing when images are transferred.

    Sheldon, Mar 14, 2005
  5. JoshB

    ASAAR Guest

    On 14 Mar 2005 07:23:46 -0800, JoshB wrote:

    > I am wondering if I buy a cheapish disposable camera, and get the
    > files transferred to cd, what resolution would they come out? My
    > digital was 3.2 megapixels, and when transferred the resolution
    > (according to the mouseover in windows xp) said something close
    > to 2100 x 1800. Just wondering if there is any way not to have my
    > photos have a major difference in quality or resolution until I
    > purchase a new digital.

    If you can find a photo store that can give you back a Kodak Photo
    CD you'll get back very high quality PCD files which can easily be
    read and converted to JPG format by most programs, even the
    IrfanView freeware, which is pretty good. Each picture is saved in
    five different resolutions, ranging in size from 192x128 to
    3072x2048 pixels, which should be good enough since it is double the
    resolution that your digital camera produced. Whether a cheap
    disposable camera could do it justice is another matter, but I
    imagine it would be good enough to get you by until your new digital
    camera arrives.

    It's much more likely that you'll get a Picture On DIsc CD, such
    as provided by Wal-Mart or Seattle Film Works, (now Photoworks).
    Despite the ads that claim they're giving you back high-res scans,
    they're only 1536x1024 pixels, significantly less than what you used
    to get from your digital camera. I guess they're high res., but
    only if compared with the images the camera stores used to provide
    on floppy discs.

    ASAAR, Mar 25, 2005