  1. EOM

    Thanks,
    Alan
    Alan Wonsowski, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Alan Wonsowski

    m Ransley Guest

    When my card is full I resize some shots to what I need to free up
    memory, Resizing fair shots from 5mp to vga-3mp depending on photo value
    and quality frees up alot of memory.
    m Ransley, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Alan Wonsowski wrote:
    > EOM
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alan

    It is an easy way to reduce the size of an image file when you may be
    sending them using e-mail. It makes a copy of the original in a smaller
    format. Note, you don't want to use this small file to make a large print.
    Use the original for that.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Alan Wonsowski

    imagejunkie Guest

    Note that resizing in most programs does NOT automatically make a copy of
    the original file - it modifies that file and if it is then saved under the
    original file name it will OVERWRITE the original. As the poster points
    out, a resized (smaller file) contains less data and so is not suitable for
    printing in larger sizes. For that reason, it is best to keep the original
    file intact and save the resized file to a different file name.
    imagejunkie, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Alan Wonsowski

    Lester L. Guest

    On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:04:54 -0500, "imagejunkie" <> wrote:

    |Note that resizing in most programs does NOT automatically make a copy of
    |the original file - it modifies that file and if it is then saved under the
    |original file name it will OVERWRITE the original. As the poster points
    |out, a resized (smaller file) contains less data and so is not suitable for
    |printing in larger sizes. For that reason, it is best to keep the original
    |file intact and save the resized file to a different file name.

    And, an easy way to do this is:

    Put the word ORIG in every filename as you offload your memory card (very easy
    in Windows Scanner and Cam Wizard.)

    Get in the habit of saving the file as the filename without ORIG in it, FIRST
    THING, upon opening it with your editing software.
    --
    LesterOfPuppets
    http://www.dangpow.com/~stumprok/
    Lester L., Dec 2, 2005
  6. Or...shoot RAW...there is no way to overwrite it....well...I never tried
    real hard...suppose I could if I tried real, real hard.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Alan Wonsowski

    Anabella M. Guest

    m Ransley, If I may make a suggestion to you, perhaps you would benefit
    from acquiring an extra card. The recent prices are very reasonable and
    also avoids the issues of resizing previous shots.

    Just a thought, take care!, Anabella M.

    m Ransley wrote:

    > When my card is full I resize some shots to what I need to free up
    > memory, Resizing fair shots from 5mp to vga-3mp depending on photo value
    > and quality frees up alot of memory.

    --
    Anabella M.

    .....it's better to have loved and lost
    than to have never seen "Lost in Space"!
    --Kelly Bundy
    Anabella M., Dec 2, 2005
  8. Alan Wonsowski

    m Ransley Guest

    I just got my W5 a month ago and filled 3 cards 2, 512 and 1, 1 Gb. Ill
    buy a 4th after prices drop, or I go on vacation, in the time being
    deleting and resizing are smart options as many photos are to document
    events needing mimimal resolution.
    m Ransley, Dec 3, 2005
  9. m Ransley wrote:
    > I just got my W5 a month ago and filled 3 cards 2, 512 and 1, 1 Gb.
    > Ill buy a 4th after prices drop, or I go on vacation, in the time
    > being deleting and resizing are smart options as many photos are to
    > document events needing mimimal resolution.

    Am I missing something here? Most people copy the images off the memory
    cards onto their computer, and hence to permanent archive on CD or DVD.
    You are doing something like that, are you?

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 3, 2005
  10. On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 18:05:10 -0600, (m Ransley)
    wrote:

    >I just got my W5 a month ago and filled 3 cards 2, 512 and 1, 1 Gb. Ill
    >buy a 4th after prices drop, or I go on vacation, in the time being
    >deleting and resizing are smart options as many photos are to document
    >events needing mimimal resolution.

    You need to buy a card reader. When you are shooting for the day you
    place the filled card in the reader and plug the reader into your
    computer. The computer will see the card as a new drive and you can
    open it and drag the image files to your hard drive. You should make a
    new folder or folders for the image files.

    OOPS.... I just noted you are on a web tv machine. Does this mean you
    don't have a PC?

    JPB

    The proof is in the print.
    Just Plain Bill, Dec 4, 2005