    want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality sake. I guess I would need to
    find that correct proportion crop size... something quick and easy for
    dealing with many photos. I use photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

    dwolf, Oct 26, 2003

  2. dwolf

    Jim Townsend Guest

    dwolf wrote:

    > Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your digitals to
    > the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping. Obviously I don't
    > want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality sake. I guess I would need to
    > find that correct proportion crop size... something quick and easy for
    > dealing with many photos. I use photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

    Different image editors have different methods of cropping... You'll have to
    mention what you use.

    Don't pay any attention to the inches of the image.. Just get the pixels set
    in the correct aspect ratio..

    You can set your dpi (or more correctly ppi) or image size in inches until the
    cows come home, but whoever prints your image will directly override those
    settings to match his equipment.

    Make sure your file is at least 1800 x 1200. That will net you a minimum of 300
    pixels per inch in both directions.

    1800 pixels / 6 inches = 300 pixels per inch.

    1200 pixels / 4 inches = 300 pixels per inch.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 26, 2003

  3. dwolf

    CSM1 Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > dwolf wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your digitals

    > > the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping. Obviously I

    don't
    > > want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality sake. I guess I would

    need to
    > > find that correct proportion crop size... something quick and easy for
    > > dealing with many photos. I use photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

    > Different image editors have different methods of cropping... You'll have

    > mention what you use.
    >
    > Don't pay any attention to the inches of the image.. Just get the pixels

    set
    > in the correct aspect ratio..
    >
    > You can set your dpi (or more correctly ppi) or image size in inches until

    the
    > cows come home, but whoever prints your image will directly override those
    > settings to match his equipment.
    >
    > Make sure your file is at least 1800 x 1200. That will net you a minimum

    of 300
    > pixels per inch in both directions.
    >
    > 1800 pixels / 6 inches = 300 pixels per inch.
    >
    > 1200 pixels / 4 inches = 300 pixels per inch.

    A 4 x 6 print has a ratio of 1:1.5 so you have to crop your digital 1:1.333
    ratio image to fit the 1:1.5 ratio.

    A 4 x 6 is a perfect fit for a 35mm negative.
    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Oct 26, 2003
  4. dwolf

    Markeau Guest

    FWIW I've found images taken with my Canon S400 (set to the highest
    resolution) require very minimal cropping along the long edge(s) when
    getting 5x7 prints. It's relatively easy to remember to leave a bit
    of extra space along the long edge when composing/taking pictures.
    But, of course I mostly manually crop first for critical images.

    Markeau, Oct 26, 2003
  5. dwolf

    FOR7b Guest

    >> Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your
    >> digitals to the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping.
    >> Obviously I don't want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality
    >> sake. I guess I would need to find that correct proportion crop
    >> size... something quick and easy for dealing with many photos. I

    >use
    >> photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

    Doesn't Photoshop and Elements have preset crop ratios of typical print sizes?
    Also, many digicams allow you to set them to take pictures in the 4x6 ratio so
    cropping afterwards isn't necessary.

    FOR7b, Oct 26, 2003
  6. dwolf

    dwolf Guest

    Yes I found that Photoshop does have preset crop sizing.... that should make
    the process quick.. Joel

    dwolf, Oct 26, 2003
  7. dwolf

    Markeau Guest

    What would be neat is an app that would quickly step thru each photo
    in a folder (or a selected set), let you place the crop where you want
    it, then switch to the next photo, set crop, etc, etc.

    Markeau, Oct 26, 2003
  8. "Markeau" <> wrote:

    >What would be neat is an app that would quickly step thru each photo
    >in a folder (or a selected set), let you place the crop where you want
    >it, then switch to the next photo, set crop, etc, etc.

    Markeau,

    you could also use a camera with a zoom lens.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 26, 2003
  9. dwolf

    Markeau Guest

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > "Markeau" <> wrote:
    >
    >> What would be neat is an app that would quickly step thru each

    photo
    >> in a folder (or a selected set), let you place the crop where you
    >> want it, then switch to the next photo, set crop, etc, etc.

    > you could also use a camera with a zoom lens.

    Sorry, do not understand. I sometimes want to crop a number of photos
    to 4x6 or 5x7 or whatever in one quick operation, so it would be nice
    to have them queued up so they could be quickly selected one after
    another (ie, after you set the crop on one pic and hit OK the next pic
    displays ready for cropping, etc).

    Markeau, Oct 27, 2003
  10. "Markeau" <> wrote:

    >"Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in
    >message news:

    >> "Markeau" <> wrote:

    >>> What would be neat is an app that would quickly step thru each photo
    >>> in a folder (or a selected set), let you place the crop where you
    >>> want it, then switch to the next photo, set crop, etc, etc.

    >> you could also use a camera with a zoom lens.

    >Sorry, do not understand. I sometimes want to crop a number of photos
    >to 4x6 or 5x7 or whatever in one quick operation, so it would be nice
    >to have them queued up so they could be quickly selected one after
    >another (ie, after you set the crop on one pic and hit OK the next pic
    >displays ready for cropping, etc).

    Markeau,

    what I mean is that you select the proper frame of a photo while
    taking it. The professionals also do this, so why not we
    amateurs? Actually, I do it. I don't have to crop any photo,
    except in very rare circumstances.

    In fact, that's the only way to achieve the full quality your
    camera has to offer. And it reduces your overall workload quite
    a bit.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 27, 2003
  11. dwolf

    Pete Guest

    "dwolf" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your digitals to
    > the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping. Obviously I don't
    > want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality sake. I guess I would need to
    > find that correct proportion crop size... something quick and easy for
    > dealing with many photos. I use photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

    I use JPEGCrops for cropping multiple images
    a freeware utility < http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops >

    very useful , has most standard sizes already set

    Pete, Oct 27, 2003
  12. dwolf

    dwolf Guest

    Oh Hans you are my master... a real pro here at the group.. Ok I'll stop my
    sarcasm.. but I imagine pros find many a shot to crop except maybe studio
    work. And even if taking the photo to the exact frame you want that's not
    what we are talking about here... we are talking about cropping after.

    dwolf, Oct 27, 2003
  13. dwolf wrote:

    > Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your digitals to
    > the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping. [...]

    If your lab will do 1:1.333 shots, would that work
    as a solution? I know that my online service does.

    -- Anita --

    Irrational Number, Oct 27, 2003
  14. dwolf

    Markeau Guest

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > "Markeau" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in
    >> message news:

    >>> you could also use a camera with a zoom lens.

    >> Sorry, do not understand. I sometimes want to crop a number of
    >> photos to 4x6 or 5x7 or whatever in one quick operation, so it

    would
    >> be nice to have them queued up so they could be quickly selected

    one
    >> after another (ie, after you set the crop on one pic and hit OK the
    >> next pic displays ready for cropping, etc).

    > Markeau,
    >
    > what I mean is that you select the proper frame of a photo while
    > taking it. The professionals also do this, so why not we
    > amateurs? Actually, I do it. I don't have to crop any photo,
    > except in very rare circumstances.
    >
    > In fact, that's the only way to achieve the full quality your
    > camera has to offer. And it reduces your overall workload quite
    > a bit.

    Using my Canon S400 in highest resolution the image MUST be cropped to
    fit in a 4"x6" or 5"x7" print when printing (well, unless you try to
    fit the entire image within that ratio and keep a lot of white space,
    which is unlikely to be done by a photo printing lab) ... but at 5x7
    only a tiny amount gets cut off from the long edge, but I still like
    to make that cut myself instead of the photo printing lab deciding for
    me.

    Markeau, Oct 28, 2003
  15. dwolf

    Markeau Guest

    Markeau, Oct 28, 2003
  16. dwolf

    dwolf Guest

    Ok.... It's amazing how many different solutions arise when I search for the
    answer to this... One example: I have a picture where the original size is
    600 x 800 pixels... If I were to do the approach of setting my crop tool to
    1200 x 1600 doesn't that resample my picture up... I see if I just set the
    crop tool to 4 x 6 it does not resample. Alot of these pictures I'm
    working on are 180 dpi... ? Joel

    dwolf, Oct 28, 2003
  17. dwolf

    Michael Guest

    Try this program -- free, no loss and crops easily:

    http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

    Or send your photos to this place, which offers a 4xD size print:

    http://www.clubphoto.com/popups/what_is_4xd.php

    m2

    Michael, Oct 28, 2003
  18. dwolf wrote:

    > One example: I have a picture where the original size is 600 x 800
    > pixels... If I were to do the approach of setting my crop tool to
    > 1200 x 1600 doesn't that resample my picture up...

    Yes it does. That might be a good idea if your programs resampling
    algorithm is better than the printers. You might want to print a few
    tests and find out.

    > I see if I just set the crop tool to 4 x 6 it does not resample.

    Correct. 4x6 is just an aspect (the same as 2:3 btw).

    > Alot of these pictures I'm working on are 180 dpi...

    It doesn't matter at all for the online "photo print" services - they
    ignore the DPI setting and just make the image fit as good as they can.
    For home use some programs use it to calculate the physical size of the
    image, but it is a poor printing program, if it doesn't allow you to
    override this.
    --
    Toke Eskildsen

    Toke Eskildsen, Oct 28, 2003
  19. "Markeau" <> wrote:

    >Using my Canon S400 in highest resolution the image MUST be cropped to
    >fit in a 4"x6" or 5"x7" print when printing (well, unless you try to
    >fit the entire image within that ratio and keep a lot of white space,
    >which is unlikely to be done by a photo printing lab) ... but at 5x7
    >only a tiny amount gets cut off from the long edge, but I still like
    >to make that cut myself instead of the photo printing lab deciding for
    >me.

    Markeau,

    yes, if you want a different format, then, obviously, cropping
    is difficult to avoid. :)

    I looked at JPEGcrops. Seems to be a good program for the
    purpose. Particularly important is the lossless cropping if your
    pictures don't need any other kind of retouching. I believe that
    only rotating and cropping can be done losslessly.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 28, 2003
  20. Irrational Number <> wrote:

    >If your lab will do 1:1.333 shots, would that work
    >as a solution? I know that my online service does.

    Anita,

    of course that means that they decide where exactly to crop. I
    would guess that most of these labs simply crop symmetrically.

    I would have to take that into account already when taking the
    photo. I usually use the entire picture frame when taking
    photos, so cropping is not possible with many of my photos.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 28, 2003