    I'd like to back up my service packs and updates. Are they stored in
    one particular directory in XP? If so, where are they stored?
    , Jan 23, 2005

  2. why? Guest

    On 23 Jan 2005 03:41:04 -0800, gregrjones wrote:

    >I just got a new 80 gig hard drive and installed Windows XP on it. I
    >partitioned the drive into two 40 gig partitions.
    >
    >I would like to repartition the drive to separate the boot drive from
    >the rest of the partitions with data.
    >
    >1. What size should I partition the boot partition too?

    One that works for you.

    Often I use, maybe up to 8 partitions.
    850MB boot FAT (big enough for a SP / drivers for repair),
    1GB backup Widnows install in case of repair,
    3.5GB Windows,
    6-10GB Programs,
    the rest for multiple (sized for fitting on CD/DVD backups) data
    partitions.

    (search through old posts, see what I said before on the same subject
    and if it's close to the old answers)

    >2. Would I have to use a 3rd party repartition tool or could I use XP's

    I always use a 3rd party tool.

    What do you mean by 'could I use XP's' , is there an option to resize
    partitions in disk management?

    >(without wiping out all of my updates like SP2)
    >
    >On a somewhat related note, in the future, in case of hard drive crash,
    >I'd like to back up my service packs and updates. Are they stored in
    >one particular directory in XP? If so, where are they stored?

    If you pick the directory, see the links on the Windows Update page for
    the Windows Update Catalog.

    If you are using the automatic update simply, use 'the download and tell
    me before install method' then search your disk for the new files.
    I can't tell you the directory as my XP box (x86 is off just now) and
    the 64-bit XP doesn't talk to Windows Update.

    Me
    why?, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Parko Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:41:04 -0800, gregrjones wrote:

    > I just got a new 80 gig hard drive and installed Windows XP on it. I
    > partitioned the drive into two 40 gig partitions.
    >
    > I would like to repartition the drive to separate the boot drive from
    > the rest of the partitions with data.
    >
    > 1. What size should I partition the boot partition too?
    > 2. Would I have to use a 3rd party repartition tool or could I use XP's
    > (without wiping out all of my updates like SP2)

    Make sure you 'move' your My Documents folder to the D:\ drive hokay!

    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Knowledge is power - Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est
    Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
    Parko, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Martik Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just got a new 80 gig hard drive and installed Windows XP on it. I
    > partitioned the drive into two 40 gig partitions.
    >
    > I would like to repartition the drive to separate the boot drive from
    > the rest of the partitions with data.
    >
    > 1. What size should I partition the boot partition too?

    6GB, XP need about 2GB and the rest for applications and some growth.

    > 2. Would I have to use a 3rd party repartition tool or could I use XP's
    > (without wiping out all of my updates like SP2)

    Partition magic works well

    > On a somewhat related note, in the future, in case of hard drive crash,
    > I'd like to back up my service packs and updates. Are they stored in
    > one particular directory in XP? If so, where are they stored?

    I've found the best way to to this is with a free utility called savepart
    from
    www.partition-saving.com

    Here is a copy of my instructions:
    How to perform a quick 'restore' of XP:

    ¡¡

    Create a 6gb partition for XP only, keep all your data on another partition.
    This allows you to format C: independently of your data.

    Now do a fresh install of XP, all your apps and settings and microsoft
    patches.

    This is your baseline install.

    Create a 3gb (approx) fat32 partition to make an image of your base install.

    Create a boot floppy.

    Download savepart.exe from http://partition-saving.com/ and copy it to the
    boot floppy.

    Reboot with the floppy and enter 'savepart' and choose 'save an element',
    unoccupied sector, compression 1 and direct the file to the fat32 partition.
    There is an option to verify the file after you are done.

    You now have a partition image of your baseline install which can be
    restored in under 5 mins. You don't have to reformat your C: partition
    before doing so, just boot from the floppy and choose restore.
    Martik, Jan 24, 2005