    adapter is connected. This is no big deal, but I wonder if there is any way
    to reset this simply to: "Wireless Network Connection" to downplay all those
    failed attempts at installation?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFdvb2Q=?=, Feb 15, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFdvb2Q=?=

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Jim Wood" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > With one computer at the house, I had a heck of a time installing the
    > wireless USB adapter, having to start over many times before it was right.
    > Everything's working fine, but on that computer the wireless connection is
    > now labeled "Wireless Network Connection 7". XP must keep track of all those
    > failed attempts and assign a number to the installation, even though only one
    > adapter is connected. This is no big deal, but I wonder if there is any way
    > to reset this simply to: "Wireless Network Connection" to downplay all those
    > failed attempts at installation?

    I just use Regedit to delete the numbers after the descriptions. If it complains
    about duplicates, I eliminate the original keys so the latest will take its place.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Thanks, Tom,

    As the old joke goes, "that's easy for you to say." I'm a bit hesitant
    going into regedit without specific instructions. I'm not sure where I would
    find that wireless network ID. Is there a 'tutorial' that could offer some
    guidance? Thanks for the response.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFdvb2Q=?=, Feb 15, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFdvb2Q=?=

    Liam Guest

    "Jim Wood" <> wrote in message
    > With one computer at the house, I had a heck of a time installing the
    > wireless USB adapter, having to start over many times before it was right.
    > Everything's working fine, but on that computer the wireless connection is
    > now labeled "Wireless Network Connection 7". XP must keep track of all
    > those
    > failed attempts and assign a number to the installation, even though only
    > one
    > adapter is connected. This is no big deal, but I wonder if there is any
    > way
    > to reset this simply to: "Wireless Network Connection" to downplay all
    > those
    > failed attempts at installation?

    Just right click on it in Network Connections, then you can rename it!

    Liam, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Thank you, Liam! Simple, brilliant, and it worked. Never would even have
    looked for this obvious solution on my own. That's what Discussion Groups
    are all about.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFdvb2Q=?=, Feb 19, 2006