    Now the software can't find the adapter.

    Do I need to reset the USB?

    Is that uninstalling and reinstalling?

    Trevor, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Trevor

    Malke Guest

    Trevor wrote:

    > Recently purchased a Blekin USB Wireless Network Adapter. When I put
    > it in the PC's USB socket I got a message that mentioned voltages and
    > resetting. Now the software can't find the adapter.
    >
    > Do I need to reset the USB?
    >
    > Is that uninstalling and reinstalling?

    How many USB devices do you have connected to the computer? If you have
    a lot, get a powered USB hub and put what devices you can on it.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    There are no USB devices connected and just the one USB socket.

    Trevor, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Trevor

    Malke Guest

    Trevor wrote:

    > There are no USB devices connected and just the one USB socket.

    I thought you said you put the Belkin in the PC via USB. Since you only
    have one USB connection and that is taken up with the Belkin, I'm sorry
    but I don't know the answer. I'd Google the exact error message and if
    that doesn't help, contact Belkin tech support. In the meantime, does
    the system recognize any other USB devices if you plug them into that
    connector?

    I'm sorry that I was unable to help you with this.

    Malke

    Malke, Aug 23, 2006
  5. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > Trevor wrote:
    >
    >> There are no USB devices connected and just the one USB socket.

    > I thought you said you put the Belkin in the PC via USB. Since you only
    > have one USB connection and that is taken up with the Belkin, I'm sorry
    > but I don't know the answer. I'd Google the exact error message and if
    > that doesn't help, contact Belkin tech support. In the meantime, does
    > the system recognize any other USB devices if you plug them into that
    > connector?
    >
    > I'm sorry that I was unable to help you with this.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I put the Belkin in and it didn't recognise it. I put other USB starage
    devices in and it doesn't recognise them either. There is no error message.
    Belkin support won't help as the problem is with the USB connection in the
    PC.

    When I first put the Belkin in there was a message mentioning 'voltage' and
    'reset', but since then nothing. I presiume the USB on the PC needs
    resetting in some way but I haven't been able to find out how.

    Trevor, Aug 24, 2006
  6. Trevor

    Malke Guest

    Trevor wrote:

    > I put the Belkin in and it didn't recognise it. I put other USB
    > starage
    > devices in and it doesn't recognise them either. There is no error
    > message. Belkin support won't help as the problem is with the USB
    > connection in the PC.
    >
    > When I first put the Belkin in there was a message mentioning
    > 'voltage' and 'reset', but since then nothing. I presiume the USB on
    > the PC needs resetting in some way but I haven't been able to find out
    > how.

    Since nothing else works in the USB connection, you may have fried it. A
    good way to determine if the problem is hardware or Windows is to boot
    with Knoppix, a Linux distro that runs from CD. You can get Knoppix
    from www.knoppix.net. You'll need a fast Internet connection to
    download it and third-party burning software to burn the .iso. Then
    boot with it. The default cursor action is a single-click instead of
    Windows' double-click.

    If you can't get any USB devices to be recognized in Knoppix, then the
    hardware has died. You haven't told us anything about the computer
    (desktop/laptop?), but if it is a desktop you can get around this by
    installing a PCI USB 2.0 controller. They are very inexpensive.

    Malke

    Malke, Aug 24, 2006
  7. Trevor

    Rich Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:16:55 +0100, "Trevor"
    <> wrote:

    >"Malke" <> wrote in message
    >> Trevor wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are no USB devices connected and just the one USB socket.

    >> I thought you said you put the Belkin in the PC via USB. Since you only
    >> have one USB connection and that is taken up with the Belkin, I'm sorry
    >> but I don't know the answer. I'd Google the exact error message and if
    >> that doesn't help, contact Belkin tech support. In the meantime, does
    >> the system recognize any other USB devices if you plug them into that
    >> connector?
    >>
    >> I'm sorry that I was unable to help you with this.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    >I put the Belkin in and it didn't recognise it. I put other USB starage
    >devices in and it doesn't recognise them either. There is no error message.
    >Belkin support won't help as the problem is with the USB connection in the
    >PC.
    >
    >When I first put the Belkin in there was a message mentioning 'voltage' and
    >'reset', but since then nothing. I presiume the USB on the PC needs
    >resetting in some way but I haven't been able to find out how.

    have you tried a cold start? shut down the pc, wait a bit and then
    re-start. worth a try.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Aug 24, 2006
  8. Trevor

    Dave B. Guest

    Last time I saw that it was because the external port was connected
    incorrectly to the motherboard.

    Dave B., Aug 24, 2006