    Do y'all think pulling the chip for awhile have the same effect as
    pulling the battery?

    Thanks for your thoughts....

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Sep 15, 2003

  2. mhaase-at-springmind.com

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:

    > Hey all!
    >
    > I need to reset a Laptop's BIOS, and cannot get to the battery itself.
    > I CAN however get to the BIOS chip, which is socketed.
    >
    > Do y'all think pulling the chip for awhile have the same effect as
    > pulling the battery?
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts....

    I dunno... but I have a concern about pulling a chip that has power
    applied to it. If you damage the chip, the laptop immediately becomes a
    paperweight...

    Ghost, Sep 15, 2003

  3. On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:54:37 -0700, (Ghost) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:
    >
    >> Hey all!
    >>
    >> I need to reset a Laptop's BIOS, and cannot get to the battery itself.
    >> I CAN however get to the BIOS chip, which is socketed.
    >>
    >> Do y'all think pulling the chip for awhile have the same effect as
    >> pulling the battery?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your thoughts....

    >I dunno... but I have a concern about pulling a chip that has power
    >applied to it. If you damage the chip, the laptop immediately becomes a
    >paperweight...

    Yeah but:

    a) It's useless now...can't get by a password prompt

    b) it's probably worth all of $50....it's a P-133!

    Thanx for the help!

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Sep 15, 2003
  4. mhaase-at-springmind.com

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:54:37 -0700, (Ghost) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hey all!
    > >>
    > >> I need to reset a Laptop's BIOS, and cannot get to the battery itself.
    > >> I CAN however get to the BIOS chip, which is socketed.
    > >>
    > >> Do y'all think pulling the chip for awhile have the same effect as
    > >> pulling the battery?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your thoughts....

    > >I dunno... but I have a concern about pulling a chip that has power
    > >applied to it. If you damage the chip, the laptop immediately becomes a
    > >paperweight...

    > Yeah but:
    >
    > a) It's useless now...can't get by a password prompt
    >
    > b) it's probably worth all of $50....it's a P-133!
    >
    > Thanx for the help!
    >

    > I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.
    >
    > (sigh) Address altered against Spam.
    >
    > Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    then take it apart.. somewhere inside will be the CMOS battery!

    Ghost, Sep 15, 2003
  5. mhaase-at-springmind.com

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    (Richard Ballard) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > mhaase-at-springmind.com <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> writes:
    >
    > >On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:54:37 -0700,
    > > (Ghost) wrote:

    > >>I dunno... but I have a concern about pulling a chip that has
    > >>power applied to it. If you damage the chip, the laptop
    > >>immediately becomes a paperweight...

    > >Yeah but:
    > >
    > >a) It's useless now...can't get by a password prompt
    > >
    > >b) it's probably worth all of $50....it's a P-133!

    > Many motherboards have a removable jumper specifically designed
    > to allow user reinitialization of the PC's BIOS settings.
    >
    > 'Hope that helps.
    >
    > Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
    > --
    > Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
    > Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
    > Last book review: "Combatting Cult Mind Control"
    > by Steven Hassan

    I have never seen a CMOS jumper on a laptop before- and I work on a lot of
    laptops...

    Ghost, Sep 15, 2003
  6. What is he trying to do?

    Removing power will NOT reset the password in most modern laptops. It's
    stored in non-volatile flash memory, not in battery backed up memory, in
    most models.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 15, 2003
  7. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:38:16 -0700, Barry Watzman <>
    wrote:

    >What is he trying to do?
    >
    >Removing power will NOT reset the password in most modern laptops. It's
    >stored in non-volatile flash memory, not in battery backed up memory, in
    >most models.

    Yes, that's what I'm trying to do (reset the password). As to
    "modern", the thing is circa 1995. Does that fall into the "modern"
    category?

    FWIW, I DID remove the chip for about 12 hours, and it did NOT reset
    the password - you were right.

    Any ideas on a plan of action? There's something holding the two
    halves together that I haven't been able to find yet, and I'm a
    little tenuous about dismantling the whole thing - I don't do much
    laptop work at all and even though the thing isn't worth much, I'm
    reluctant to risk not being able to get it all back together and
    leaving it worse than I found it.

    What's the Hypocratic Oath start with? "First, do no harm"?

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Sep 16, 2003
  8. mhaase-at-springmind.com

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:38:16 -0700, Barry Watzman <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >What is he trying to do?
    > >
    > >Removing power will NOT reset the password in most modern laptops. It's
    > >stored in non-volatile flash memory, not in battery backed up memory, in
    > >most models.

    > Yes, that's what I'm trying to do (reset the password). As to
    > "modern", the thing is circa 1995. Does that fall into the "modern"
    > category?
    >
    > FWIW, I DID remove the chip for about 12 hours, and it did NOT reset
    > the password - you were right.
    >
    > Any ideas on a plan of action? There's something holding the two
    > halves together that I haven't been able to find yet, and I'm a
    > little tenuous about dismantling the whole thing - I don't do much
    > laptop work at all and even though the thing isn't worth much, I'm
    > reluctant to risk not being able to get it all back together and
    > leaving it worse than I found it.
    >
    > What's the Hypocratic Oath start with? "First, do no harm"?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions!

    Try doing a google search for the manufacturer of the laptop and keywords
    such as: +password +reset +cmos

    Ghost, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Re: "As to "modern", the thing is circa 1995. Does that fall into the
    "modern" >>category?"

    It probably does, for this purpose. Laptops have used flash memory for
    longer than desktops. The last laptops that I saw in which the password
    could be reset by removing the battery were some early 1990's Compaq
    486's. I have Zenith 386 and 486 Z-Notes, from 1992-1993, and they
    cannot be reset by removing the battery. This varies by model, of
    course, but in any Pentium based laptop -- even a Pentium 75 -- it's
    very unlikely that you can remove the password by disconnecting the battery.

    What kind of laptop is it? Be specific.

    The procedure for resetting the password varies greatly from laptop to
    laptop, from mfgr. to mfgr. Some commonly used techniques are:

    1. Insert a special diskette (a VERY special diskette) into the floppy
    drive before turning on power.

    2. Connect a special "password removal dongle" to the parallel printer
    port socket.

    3. Momentarily short two point on the motherboard while turning on
    power. The points are normally accessible without major disassembly
    (often they are in the memory expansion area, but they are completely
    unmarked).

    Barry Watzman, Sep 16, 2003
  10. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:32:46 -0700, Barry Watzman <>
    wrote:

    >Re: "As to "modern", the thing is circa 1995. Does that fall into the
    >"modern" >>category?"
    >
    >It probably does, for this purpose. Laptops have used flash memory for
    >longer than desktops. The last laptops that I saw in which the password
    >could be reset by removing the battery were some early 1990's Compaq
    >486's. I have Zenith 386 and 486 Z-Notes, from 1992-1993, and they
    >cannot be reset by removing the battery. This varies by model, of
    >course, but in any Pentium based laptop -- even a Pentium 75 -- it's
    >very unlikely that you can remove the password by disconnecting the battery.
    >
    >What kind of laptop is it? Be specific.
    >
    >The procedure for resetting the password varies greatly from laptop to
    >laptop, from mfgr. to mfgr. Some commonly used techniques are:
    >
    >1. Insert a special diskette (a VERY special diskette) into the floppy
    >drive before turning on power.
    >
    >2. Connect a special "password removal dongle" to the parallel printer
    >port socket.
    >
    >3. Momentarily short two point on the motherboard while turning on
    >power. The points are normally accessible without major disassembly
    >(often they are in the memory expansion area, but they are completely
    >unmarked).

    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much about it on line.
    It's an Everex "4500 Series". That's the only identifying markings on
    it.

    I've posted in a few possible NG's looking for someone who might have
    info on it, but no luck yet.

    As always...any help is appreciated.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Sep 16, 2003
  11. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:31:34 -0700, (Ghost) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:38:16 -0700, Barry Watzman <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >What is he trying to do?
    >> >
    >> >Removing power will NOT reset the password in most modern laptops. It's
    >> >stored in non-volatile flash memory, not in battery backed up memory, in
    >> >most models.

    >> Yes, that's what I'm trying to do (reset the password). As to
    >> "modern", the thing is circa 1995. Does that fall into the "modern"
    >> category?
    >>
    >> FWIW, I DID remove the chip for about 12 hours, and it did NOT reset
    >> the password - you were right.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on a plan of action? There's something holding the two
    >> halves together that I haven't been able to find yet, and I'm a
    >> little tenuous about dismantling the whole thing - I don't do much
    >> laptop work at all and even though the thing isn't worth much, I'm
    >> reluctant to risk not being able to get it all back together and
    >> leaving it worse than I found it.
    >>
    >> What's the Hypocratic Oath start with? "First, do no harm"?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestions!
    >>

    >Try doing a google search for the manufacturer of the laptop and keywords
    >such as: +password +reset +cmos

    Yup, tried it already...no joy. It's an "Everex 4500 Series", and
    not too much seems available.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Sep 16, 2003
  12. mhaase-at-springmind.com

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:31:34 -0700, (Ghost) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:

    > >> Yes, that's what I'm trying to do (reset the password). As to
    > >> "modern", the thing is circa 1995. Does that fall into the "modern"
    > >> category?
    > >>
    > >> FWIW, I DID remove the chip for about 12 hours, and it did NOT reset
    > >> the password - you were right.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas on a plan of action? There's something holding the two
    > >> halves together that I haven't been able to find yet, and I'm a
    > >> little tenuous about dismantling the whole thing - I don't do much
    > >> laptop work at all and even though the thing isn't worth much, I'm
    > >> reluctant to risk not being able to get it all back together and
    > >> leaving it worse than I found it.
    > >>
    > >> What's the Hypocratic Oath start with? "First, do no harm"?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any suggestions!
    > >>

    > >Try doing a google search for the manufacturer of the laptop and keywords
    > >such as: +password +reset +cmos

    > Yup, tried it already...no joy. It's an "Everex 4500 Series", and
    > not too much seems available.
    >

    > I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.
    >
    > (sigh) Address altered against Spam.
    >
    > Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    I did a google search for: +everex +password +reset +cmos

    I found plenty of stuff...

    http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files009.shtml has a few utilities you might use..

    ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/cmospwd-2.9.zip (freeware)

    ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/biosfind.zip (shareware)

    ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/bios1351.zip (freeware)

    or try this method:
    http://www.just-computer-links.com/...w.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win95/n1041971488

    There are tons of other links as well...

    Ghost, Sep 16, 2003
  13. Well, it should have an FCC ID sticker with a registration number. This
    can be plugged into a search engine at the FCC web site and will return
    the ID of the actual manufacturer, which is probably either Compal or
    Quanta.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 16, 2003
  14. On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:32:24 -0700, (Ghost) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >mhaase-at-springmind.com (Mark Haase) wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:31:34 -0700, (Ghost) wrote:

    >> >Try doing a google search for the manufacturer of the laptop and keywords
    >> >such as: +password +reset +cmos

    >> Yup, tried it already...no joy. It's an "Everex 4500 Series", and
    >> not too much seems available.
    >>

    >> I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.
    >>
    >> (sigh) Address altered against Spam.
    >>
    >> Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    >I did a google search for: +everex +password +reset +cmos
    >

    >I found plenty of stuff...
    >

    >http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files009.shtml has a few utilities you might use..
    >
    >ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/cmospwd-2.9.zip (freeware)
    >
    >ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/biosfind.zip (shareware)
    >
    >ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/bios1351.zip (freeware)
    >

    >or try this method:
    >http://www.just-computer-links.com/...w.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win95/n1041971488
    >
    >There are tons of other links as well...

    Yeah, what I meant was I found those....but most of them require that
    the machine at least boot...which it won't do because of the password.
    I did try the key disk & parallel port trick with no luck.

    Given the value of the machine, we may just have a lost cause here.

    Unless I can turn up something else, I will probably just advise her
    that I can (proabably) recover her data from the HD, but the machine
    itself may be hopeless.

    thanks!

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Sep 17, 2003
  15. On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:22:40 -0700, Barry Watzman <>
    wrote:

    >Well, it should have an FCC ID sticker with a registration number. This
    >can be plugged into a search engine at the FCC web site and will return
    >the ID of the actual manufacturer, which is probably either Compal or
    >Quanta.

    Good thought, but no dice. Everex itself is the manufacturer, and
    they're gone. I remember buying Everex video & controller cards back
    in the early 90's -- EVEREX "Ever for Excellence" or some such.

    As I mentioned to Ghost, given the value of the machine, we may just

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Sep 17, 2003