    cluster marking/status?

    Thanks
    Rocky
    Rocky, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Rocky

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:31:56 -0500, Rocky <> wrote:

    >I have a Windows XP machine that had a hard drive cable that was
    >loose. Windows XP marked a lot of clusters as bad when in fact there
    >is nothing wrong with them (after fixing the loose cable). My problem
    >is that I need to return those clusters to good status now. There is
    >nothing wrong with the hard drive or the clusters. There are ways to
    >do it in DOS and regular Windows, but those methods do not work with
    >Window XP. How do I reset Windows XP's false and incorrect bad
    >cluster marking/status?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Rocky

    Try this: Open a command prompt and type:

    chkdsk /r

    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)
    Unk, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:43:17 -0400, Unk <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:31:56 -0500, Rocky <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Windows XP machine that had a hard drive cable that was
    >>loose. Windows XP marked a lot of clusters as bad when in fact there
    >>is nothing wrong with them (after fixing the loose cable). My problem
    >>is that I need to return those clusters to good status now. There is
    >>nothing wrong with the hard drive or the clusters. There are ways to
    >>do it in DOS and regular Windows, but those methods do not work with
    >>Window XP. How do I reset Windows XP's false and incorrect bad
    >>cluster marking/status?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Rocky
    >>

    >Try this: Open a command prompt and type:
    >
    >chkdsk /r
    >
    > /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)

    Tried that it doesn't work. Windows XP itself somehow keeps track of
    what it thinks are bad clusters. I know if I format the hard drive and
    reinstall everything the clusters will be good, but I don't want to
    have to do that. There are several utilities for resetting and
    retesting clusters marked bad for DOS and Windows 9X, but I haven't
    found anything to do the same with Windows XP. There must be a way.
    Help.

    Rocky
    Rocky, Apr 17, 2004