Resetting a Catalyst 2924 XL Switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Outta Luck, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. Outta Luck

    Outta Luck Guest

    Hello:

    Let me start by saying I'm a truck driver, and sick of driving, and going
    for a CCIE certification. I know some stuff about networking, but not a
    whole lot, so I'm starting at the beginning.
    I bought a Catalyst 2924 XL switch off ebay, and it's still configured to
    the network that it came from. I bought 2 console cables to connect to
    them, and followed "Cisco - Networking Basics" book on how to connect to
    it via console cable. I get nothing. So I tried looking up how to reset
    it, and got no where, but a guy gave me a link somewhere on Cisco's site
    on how to reset it, and I tried. All I succeeded in doing was half-way
    resetting the switch I think. I turned it off, held the mode button in
    when plugged it back it, and waited for the led on port 1 to go out. All I
    got after that was the System LED flashing, and all the port LED's on. But
    it's still spitting out an ARP request.

    I think it's set up as a managed switch because it's spitting out ARP
    requests on the network when I look at it with a sniffer. Although I
    don't really care that it does that, and for my uses, it doesn't do
    anything to network speed, I still need to be able to get into it and
    play. I don't know where to start now that all my expertise is exhausted.

    If someone would be gratious enough to walk me through how to properly
    reset the switch, and what I need to do to get back into it, I'd be very
    grateful. Each day I do this, it seems my goals keep going farther away,
    although, going for a CCNA isn't that hard, I'm told. Financial
    limitations are the biggest issue for me. That and about 4 hrs of sleep a
    night doesn't really cut it, but I'm trying my hardest to do this.

    Thanks:

    Outta Luck
    Outta Luck, Nov 7, 2006

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Nov 7, 2006

  3. Outta Luck <> writes:
    >Let me start by saying I'm a truck driver, and sick of driving, and going
    >for a CCIE certification. I know some stuff about networking, but not a
    >whole lot, so I'm starting at the beginning.
    >I bought a Catalyst 2924 XL switch off ebay, and it's still configured to
    >the network that it came from. I bought 2 console cables to connect to
    >them, and followed "Cisco - Networking Basics" book on how to connect to
    >it via console cable. I get nothing. So I tried looking up how to reset
    >it, and got no where, but a guy gave me a link somewhere on Cisco's site
    >on how to reset it, and I tried. All I succeeded in doing was half-way
    >resetting the switch I think. I turned it off, held the mode button in
    >when plugged it back it, and waited for the led on port 1 to go out. All I
    >got after that was the System LED flashing, and all the port LED's on. But
    >it's still spitting out an ARP request.

    You can only fully reset it after you get a console connection going.

    What you did was just interupt its boot sequence to get you to the
    point where you can start to do the factory reset. But without the
    console connection, you didn't accomplish anything, when you rebooted
    it again, it just came back up normal.

    I'd check your console cable connection. You should be connecting to
    it with a term program, perferably something like teraterm or
    securecrt vs. hyperterminal, but hyperterminal usually works if some
    of its bugs don't kick in.

    Make sure you connect in with baud=9600, 8N1, make sure flow-control
    is turned off (ie. no RTS/CTS settings, and no XON/XOFF).

    If you still get nothing, try different baud rates, all of them
    between 2400 and 115,200. Make sure you are connecting to the correct
    COM port on your computer.

    You should get something.

    Are the console kits real Cisco ones? Its hard to tell without knowing
    what vintage of console kit you have.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 8, 2006
  4. Outta Luck

    Jason Tomasi Guest

    Hi OuttaLuck

    :)

    Intuitive - Undernet
    Jason Tomasi, Nov 8, 2006
  5. Outta Luck

    Outta Luck Guest

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 00:01:56 +1300, Jason Tomasi wrote:

    > Hi OuttaLuck
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Intuitive - Undernet

    Hi
    Outta Luck, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Outta Luck

    Outta Luck Guest

    I'm not exactly sure about the console cable...got it off ebay also.
    That's one area that I'm not sure what it's doing. As I've either not
    gotten to that part of the book of what the pinout for the DB-9
    connection is, or missed it, or it's just not in the book, I'm not sure,
    but I am familiar with the rollover part of it, just not where the wires
    are supposed to go in the DB-9 pinout. I also do not have the
    availability, or haven't found it yet, how to get a hold of a DB-9
    connector, and the hardware to connect wires to it. Actually, I never
    really thought of it.

    I'll give this a shot, and see where I can go from there. Seems the more
    I look into this stuff, the farther off-base I am at getting to my goal.
    Oh well.

    Thanks a million.

    Outta Luck

    Outta Luck, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Outta Luck

    Outta Luck Guest

    Thanks, I'm looking into that, the only thing I can figure is maybe I have
    a bad cable, or something along those lines. I'm guessing I probably
    sound like an idiot, since the problem is probably a simple one. I think
    I've seen you on Cisco.com in the "Join The Discussion" forums. Thanks
    for your time reading my problem, I'll get back to you once I try this
    stuff out. In the pages, it refers to both a DB-9 and DB-25 connector,
    with a DB-25 being supplied originally with the switch. Do I have to use
    a DB-25 connector, or will a DB-9 connector work also, assuming the
    pinouts are correct?

    Thanks,

    Outta Luck

    Outta Luck, Nov 8, 2006
  8. Outta Luck <> writes:
    >Thanks, I'm looking into that, the only thing I can figure is maybe I have
    >a bad cable, or something along those lines. I'm guessing I probably
    >sound like an idiot, since the problem is probably a simple one. I think
    >I've seen you on Cisco.com in the "Join The Discussion" forums. Thanks
    >for your time reading my problem, I'll get back to you once I try this
    >stuff out. In the pages, it refers to both a DB-9 and DB-25 connector,
    >with a DB-25 being supplied originally with the switch. Do I have to use
    >a DB-25 connector, or will a DB-9 connector work also, assuming the
    >pinouts are correct?

    DB25 hooks up to ancient history computers, and external modems.

    DB9 hooks up to most PC clones, and things that copied them.

    They are the same, the same signals in both, just over different pins
    of course. You can get a DB9 to DB25 adaptor.

    The switch probably originally came with the stock console kit back in
    the day, which was a black rollover cable, and a DB9->RJ45 adaptor,
    and a DB25->RJ45 adaptor. Then they switched to a blue rollover cable.
    Now Cisco's been shipping a newer console kit for many years that is
    a blue molded DB9 on one end, and RJ45 on the other, as well as a black
    molded DB25 for external modem hookups on devices that might
    potentially hookup to an external modem (ie. routers' AUX ports).

    You can make your own DB9->RJ45 adaptor out of parts, you most likely
    can find an unwired adaptor at Radio Shack or MicroCenter or Frys and
    wire it up to match the standard pinouts that are many places on the net.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 8, 2006
  9. Outta Luck

    Outta Luck Guest

    On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:28:02 +0000, Doug McIntyre wrote:

    > Outta Luck <> writes:
    >>Thanks, I'm looking into that, the only thing I can figure is maybe I have
    >>a bad cable, or something along those lines. I'm guessing I probably
    >>sound like an idiot, since the problem is probably a simple one. I think
    >>I've seen you on Cisco.com in the "Join The Discussion" forums. Thanks
    >>for your time reading my problem, I'll get back to you once I try this
    >>stuff out. In the pages, it refers to both a DB-9 and DB-25 connector,
    >>with a DB-25 being supplied originally with the switch. Do I have to use
    >>a DB-25 connector, or will a DB-9 connector work also, assuming the
    >>pinouts are correct?

    > DB25 hooks up to ancient history computers, and external modems.
    >
    > DB9 hooks up to most PC clones, and things that copied them.
    >
    > They are the same, the same signals in both, just over different pins
    > of course. You can get a DB9 to DB25 adaptor.
    >
    > The switch probably originally came with the stock console kit back in
    > the day, which was a black rollover cable, and a DB9->RJ45 adaptor,
    > and a DB25->RJ45 adaptor. Then they switched to a blue rollover cable.
    > Now Cisco's been shipping a newer console kit for many years that is
    > a blue molded DB9 on one end, and RJ45 on the other, as well as a black
    > molded DB25 for external modem hookups on devices that might
    > potentially hookup to an external modem (ie. routers' AUX ports).
    >
    > You can make your own DB9->RJ45 adaptor out of parts, you most likely
    > can find an unwired adaptor at Radio Shack or MicroCenter or Frys and
    > wire it up to match the standard pinouts that are many places on the net.

    That's what I was thinking, I remember DB-25 connectors back in the day of
    80486's, and earlier, and knew of the adapter from DB-9 -> DB-25, and vice
    cersa, but wasn't quite sure if Cisco had some propietary standard
    regarging the rollover cable. Thanks for the help, and background.

    Sorry I'm asking simple questions like this, but I want to make sure of
    everything before I dive into it, so I don't look like someone that has
    the cert, and no knowledge of what the certification entails...
    Outta Luck, Nov 10, 2006