    I've finally settled on a card that works well and I'm going to keep. I want
    and want to reset the network "counter" to 1 or 2. Any idea how to do that?

    Doc

    J.H. Holliday, Jun 10, 2005

  2. J.H. Holliday

    Pavel A. Guest

    "J.H. Holliday" <doc@okcorral> wrote in message news:...
    > I went through a bunch of different brands of PCMCIA cards set up a wireless
    > network on my notebook computer. Each time I did that, the system created a
    > new network each one digit higher than the last one. So card B created
    > network 2, card C created network 3, etc.
    >
    > I've finally settled on a card that works well and I'm going to keep. I want
    > and want to reset the network "counter" to 1 or 2. Any idea how to do that?

    Boot in safe mode (or add environment variable DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 )
    Run device manager. Click View, Show hidden devices.
    Then you should see all the cards you don't use.
    Click on them one by one and select Remove.

    Be very careful not to remove anything other.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Jun 10, 2005

  3. J.H. Holliday

    Quaoar Guest

    J.H. Holliday wrote:
    > I went through a bunch of different brands of PCMCIA cards set up a
    > wireless network on my notebook computer. Each time I did that, the
    > system created a new network each one digit higher than the last one.
    > So card B created network 2, card C created network 3, etc.
    >
    > I've finally settled on a card that works well and I'm going to keep.
    > I want and want to reset the network "counter" to 1 or 2. Any idea
    > how to do that?
    > Doc

    You can also simply rename the connection to your preference.

    Quaoar, Jun 10, 2005
  4. "Pavel A." <> wrote in message
    > "J.H. Holliday" <doc@okcorral> wrote in message
    >> I went through a bunch of different brands of PCMCIA cards set up a
    >> wireless
    >> network on my notebook computer. Each time I did that, the system created
    >> new network each one digit higher than the last one. So card B created
    >> network 2, card C created network 3, etc.
    >>
    >> I've finally settled on a card that works well and I'm going to keep. I
    >> want
    >> and want to reset the network "counter" to 1 or 2. Any idea how to do
    >> that?

    > Boot in safe mode (or add environment variable
    > DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 )
    > Run device manager. Click View, Show hidden devices.
    > Then you should see all the cards you don't use.
    > Click on them one by one and select Remove.
    >
    > Be very careful not to remove anything other.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

    I looked in the device manager (in both safe mode and regular) and only saw
    one of the previous cards there-- and got an error message (can't uninstall
    this-- needed to boot the computer) which made no sense to me.

    J.H. Holliday, Jun 11, 2005
  5. J.H. Holliday

    Pavel A. Guest

    "J.H. Holliday" <doc@okcorral> wrote in message news:...
    > I looked in the device manager (in both safe mode and regular) and only saw
    > one of the previous cards there-- and got an error message (can't uninstall
    > this-- needed to boot the computer) which made no sense to me.

    Ok then you don't have a build-up of stale driver instances, that's good.
    So you can just rename your connections as Quaoar suggests.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Jun 11, 2005