    support an email and see if they can help (at a huge price knowing my luck
    :p)

    TIA

    XPD, Sep 27, 2005

  2. XPD

    Richard Guest

    This not work? http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_827.shtml

    Richard, Sep 27, 2005

  3. XPD

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, XPD wrote:
    > Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
    > factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
    > get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does the
    > owner.
    > Anyone know how to get around this or do I have to drop the local Cisco
    > support an email and see if they can help (at a huge price knowing my luck
    >:p)
    >
    > TIA

    I yhink from memory if you connect via serial cable you can do a
    <ctrl><shift><6> (or <ctrl><^>) at boot time to get you a system
    without a config loaded.

    Or can you do a show run and see if the password is a level 7 secret?
    If not there is a perl app to crack the passwd.

    ChrisOD, Sep 27, 2005
  4. On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:30:24 +1200, someone purporting to be XPD didst
    scrawl:

    > Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
    > factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
    > get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does the
    > owner.
    > Anyone know how to get around this or do I have to drop the local Cisco
    > support an email and see if they can help (at a huge price knowing my luck

    Do a Google for "Cisco IOS password reset".
    Short version you send a break while the box is in the first few seconds
    of its boot cycle, and that drops you into a "single-user mode" type of
    interface.
    From there you do a "copy start run", set the enable password to whatever
    you want, and then do a "copy run start" to write it back to flash. Reboot
    and you're away laughing.

    Be thankful that it's an 827, and running a new version of the boot code.
    Old Cisco devices required arcane knowledge of boot registers, and setting
    them to cause the password to be ignored, a reboot and resetting of the
    enable password, then another reboot into rommon mode to change the
    register back again. Very convoluted.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Sep 27, 2005
  5. XPD

    Ewen McNeill Guest

    In article <>,
    XPD <> wrote:
    >Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
    >factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
    >get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does the
    >owner.

    You'll need to do a password recovery. Cisco has guides for pretty much
    all their routers on how to do this. Eg, for the Cisco 827:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_827.shtml

    (second hit on Google for "cisco 827 password recovery")

    You'll need a Cisco "console cable", but there should have been one with
    the router.

    I suspect if you were to drop it off at Cisco that's pretty much what
    they'll do as well.

    Ewen

    Ewen McNeill, Sep 27, 2005
  6. On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:43:46 +1200, someone purporting to be ChrisOD didst
    scrawl:

    > In article <>, XPD wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > Or can you do a show run and see if the password is a level 7 secret?

    *SNIP*

    You can't do "show run" from outside enable mode.
    You could probably brute-force it, anyway, even if it was hashed. It's
    only MD5, after all. Certainly you could crack something that was easy.

    Matthew Poole, Sep 27, 2005
  7. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > XPD wrote:
    >> Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
    >> factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
    >> get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does
    >> the owner.
    >> Anyone know how to get around this or do I have to drop the local Cisco
    >> support an email and see if they can help (at a huge price knowing my
    >> luck :p)

    > This not work? http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_827.shtml

    Hmm now why didnt that show up for me when doing a search :)

    Thanks, Ill give it a shot tomorrow :)

    XPD, Sep 27, 2005
  8. XPD

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:43:46 +1200, someone purporting to be ChrisOD didst
    > scrawl:
    >
    >> In article <>, XPD wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >> Or can you do a show run and see if the password is a level 7 secret?

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > You can't do "show run" from outside enable mode.
    > You could probably brute-force it, anyway, even if it was hashed. It's
    > only MD5, after all. Certainly you could crack something that was easy.

    Thanks Matthew, it has been about six years since I used to fiddle with
    routers, so I claim old age!

    ChrisOD, Sep 27, 2005