    What is the purpose of reserving space in different locations?

    Thanks,

    Jack

    Jack Barrett, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Jack Barrett

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Jack Barrett" <> wrote in news:aW0xb.806$p77.618
    @news01.roc.ny:

    > What is the purpose of reserving space in different locations?

    System files that can not be moved. The page file which can not be moved
    while in use. Just two possibilities

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Jack Barrett

    NoOne Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Jack Barrett" <> wrote in news:aW0xb.806$p77.618
    > @news01.roc.ny:
    >
    > > What is the purpose of reserving space in different locations?

    > System files that can not be moved. The page file which can not be moved
    > while in use. Just two possibilities
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    One more.
    Some manufacturers reserve space for their files. IE: Compaq does this so
    that you use a "system restore" disk to restore your machine. The disk
    looks for the files. In my case it was a small "D" partition.

    NoOne, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Jack Barrett

    Robert Baer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > "Jack Barrett" <> wrote in news:aW0xb.806$p77.618
    > @news01.roc.ny:
    >
    > > What is the purpose of reserving space in different locations?

    > System files that can not be moved. The page file which can not be moved
    > while in use. Just two possibilities
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    Actually, there is no such thing as a file that "cannot" be moved.
    The truth of the matter is that nobody (yet that i know of) has
    written the software to move those system files.
    As far as i know, the only file that should not be moved is the boot
    record (without changing the pointer in the partition table).
    And lastly, the partition record, which is a file, is almost
    non-moveable, as the BIOS would have to be modified to point to its
    location.
    All of the above ignores the info that the HD manufacrurer may place
    (somewhere hidden) on the hard drive (hard drive ID info, bad sector
    info, servo info, and who knows what else).

    Robert Baer, Nov 27, 2003
  5. Jack Barrett

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3FC65643.DD7CDDF1
    @earthlink.net:

    > Actually, there is no such thing as a file that "cannot" be moved.
    > The truth of the matter is that nobody (yet that i know of) has
    > written the software to move those system files.

    They are files that should not be moved. The page file should not be
    moved while it is in use. Critical OS files should not be moved while
    there is a chance they may need to be read.

    > As far as i know, the only file that should not be moved is the boot
    > record (without changing the pointer in the partition table).

    I don't consider the boot record to be a file in the same sense that %
    windir%\NTOSKRNL.EXE is a file

    > And lastly, the partition record, which is a file, is almost
    > non-moveable, as the BIOS would have to be modified to point to its
    > location.

    Again, I don't consider this to be a file in the same reguard we are
    talking about.

    > All of the above ignores the info that the HD manufacrurer may place
    > (somewhere hidden) on the hard drive (hard drive ID info, bad sector
    > info, servo info, and who knows what else).

    None of these things will appear in the defragmenter view as unmovable
    files, as the OS does not recognize them as a file, merely as sectors on
    the hard drive

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 27, 2003
  6. Jack Barrett

    Robert Baer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3FC65643.DD7CDDF1
    > @earthlink.net:
    >
    > > Actually, there is no such thing as a file that "cannot" be moved.
    > > The truth of the matter is that nobody (yet that i know of) has
    > > written the software to move those system files.

    > They are files that should not be moved. The page file should not be
    > moved while it is in use. Critical OS files should not be moved while
    > there is a chance they may need to be read.
    >
    > > As far as i know, the only file that should not be moved is the boot
    > > record (without changing the pointer in the partition table).

    > I don't consider the boot record to be a file in the same sense that %
    > windir%\NTOSKRNL.EXE is a file
    >
    > > And lastly, the partition record, which is a file, is almost
    > > non-moveable, as the BIOS would have to be modified to point to its
    > > location.

    > Again, I don't consider this to be a file in the same reguard we are
    > talking about.
    >
    > > All of the above ignores the info that the HD manufacrurer may place
    > > (somewhere hidden) on the hard drive (hard drive ID info, bad sector
    > > info, servo info, and who knows what else).

    > None of these things will appear in the defragmenter view as unmovable
    > files, as the OS does not recognize them as a file, merely as sectors on
    > the hard drive
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)