Resend: weird network traffic when accessing server over wireless connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Xavier, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Xavier

    Xavier Guest

    Hello,

    In an environment made of a Windows Small Business Server 2003 and a few
    workstations (XP SP2, fully patched) I do encounter a weird behavior on one
    particular laptop. When this laptop is connected via a RJ45 cable, the user
    can access a data folder on the server without any issue, however, if the
    laptop is connected via a wireless connection, browsing the same folder
    takes a long time (something like 1 minute before displaying the list of
    directories residing in the data folder).

    I took a network trace and found that when the wireless connection is used,
    tons of SMB calls like this are made:

    SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm
    SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (186)
    STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY
    SMB: C NT create & X, File =
    \abm\:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA
    (...)
    SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm\:OzngklrtOwudrp0bAayojd1qWh:$DATA
    SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (51)
    STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_INVALID
    (...)
    SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm\:SummaryInformation:$DATA
    SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (51)
    STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_INVALID
    (...)
    SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm\:Docf_SummaryInformation:$DATA
    SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (52)
    STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
    (...)
    SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm:SebiesnrMkudrfcoIaamtykdDa:$DATA
    SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (52)
    STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

    where \abm is the first directory present in the data folder browsed by the
    user. I do get dozens of such calls per directory present in the data
    folder. I am no expert, but it looks like if wireless is enabled, something
    on the laptop tries to access some alternate ntfs stream on the various
    directories.

    Looks similar to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265396/EN-US/ but it does
    not apply to XP. And why do I see this when using the wireless adapter and
    not the cable ?

    Last things: only one network connection is enabled at the any time.
    Accessing the folder via a mapped drive or via network neighbourhood does
    not make any difference.

    Has anyone ever seen this and what could be done to prevent this ?

    Any help would be appreciated

    Xavier

    Xavier, Mar 26, 2006