Researching material for MCAD/SD

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Saga, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Saga

    Saga Guest

    I am researching to see what material is available for the
    70-300, 305, 306, 310 and 229 exams.

    I have read recommendations regarding the Mike G. books,
    so they are at the top of the list. I also found this at Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_5/104-2413493-2459116?v=glance&s=books

    Reviews are mixed, there are two used/new copies selling
    real cheap (which makes me wonder) so I would like to
    ask these two ngs for any feedback on this book.

    Any recommendations on other books are, of course,
    welcomed :)

    Another question that comes up is that I know that MS
    Press is selling a bunble of books that cover these exams,
    plus those for the C# track. The usual price for the bundle
    is around $129. Also, MS Press has specific full volumes
    (self paced training kits they call them) for each specific
    exam (sold separately). Is there any advantage in purchasing
    the bundle of books and also buying the individual volumes?
    I would imagine that they might compliment each other, but
    I am not certain.

    For example:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...3/104-2413493-2459116?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

    This is a full volume... for exams 305/315. Notice that going
    a little down the page there is a "Better Together" section and
    the other product IS the kit bundle that I mentioned earlier.

    Thanks all!
    Saga

    Saga, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Saga

    Eric Guest

    Saga wrote:

    > I am researching to see what material is available for the
    > 70-300, 305, 306, 310 and 229 exams.

    For VB.NET: Mike Gunderloy's books are best. For C#, Amit Kalani's
    books are best. Get the blue training guides, not the red Exam Cram.

    I don't get very excited about any book for 70-229. I just used
    Transcenders, Books On Line, and the web.

    For 70-300, I hear the Exam Cram book is the best.

    Eric

    Eric, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Saga

    Raja Guest

    Re : Researching material for MCAD/SD

    Forget the rest, stick with the best ! For vb.net track
    of MCAD, there's nothing else out there that's better
    than Mike's books. The Amazon links are :
    70-305 : http://tinyurl.com/56cmr
    70-306 : http://tinyurl.com/5hapf
    70-310 : http://tinyurl.com/52oav
    Errata : http://www.larkware.com/TGErrata.txt

    Good luck !

    - Raja.

    /0072226536/qid=1096387164/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/104-2413493-
    2459116?v=glance&s=books

    >Reviews are mixed, there are two used/new copies selling
    >real cheap (which makes me wonder) so I would like to
    >ask these two ngs for any feedback on this book.
    >
    >Any recommendations on other books are, of course,
    >welcomed :)
    >
    >Another question that comes up is that I know that MS
    >Press is selling a bunble of books that cover these

    exams,
    >plus those for the C# track. The usual price for the

    bundle
    >is around $129. Also, MS Press has specific full volumes
    >(self paced training kits they call them) for each

    specific
    >exam (sold separately). Is there any advantage in

    purchasing
    >the bundle of books and also buying the individual

    volumes?
    >I would imagine that they might compliment each other,

    but
    >I am not certain.
    >
    >For example:
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-

    /0735619271/ref=pd_sim_b_3/104-2413493-2459116?%
    5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

    Raja, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Saga

    Saga Guest

    Thanks Raja. I have read your recommedation in other threads
    and are totally, TOTALLY convinced to get Mike's books.
    Even so, I don't want to prepare for an exam by using just one
    source (refering specifically to books), so I am researching
    addtional possibilities.

    I have no intention of preparing for the exam without Mike's
    books.

    Thanks again!
    Saga

    Saga, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Saga

    Raja Guest

    You don't have to. It goes without saying that MSDN is a
    must in any exam prep. Apart from that, I found the foll.
    2 books an excellent resource for Asp.net and ADO.net.
    The amazon links are given below
    ADO.Net Book : http://tinyurl.com/5fad9
    Asp.net Unleashed : http://tinyurl.com/6ch54

    Good luck !