    How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
    cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.
    , Dec 13, 2007

  2. Bruce Probst Guest

    On Dec 14, 6:22 am, wrote:

    > How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
    > cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

    Unless the DVD in question has been specifically and explicitly
    released to the public domain (highly unlikely), or it's over 70-
    something years old (impossible), then it is not legal to make a copy,
    period. (Unless you *already* own the DVD, and you're just making a
    *backup* copy for your own use. And even the legality of that may
    vary depending on where you live.)

    No, it doesn't matter that you don't intend to sell it, or make any
    profit from it in any way. It's still illegal.

    The likelihood of you being *prosecuted* is, of course, a different
    matter altogether.

    Bruce
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bruce Probst, Dec 13, 2007

  3. Tarkus Guest

    Bruce Probst wrote:
    > On Dec 14, 6:22 am, wrote:
    >
    >> How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
    >> cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

    > Unless the DVD in question has been specifically and explicitly
    > released to the public domain (highly unlikely), or it's over 70-
    > something years old (impossible), then it is not legal to make a copy,
    > period. (Unless you *already* own the DVD, and you're just making a
    > *backup* copy for your own use. And even the legality of that may
    > vary depending on where you live.)
    >
    > No, it doesn't matter that you don't intend to sell it, or make any
    > profit from it in any way. It's still illegal.
    >
    > The likelihood of you being *prosecuted* is, of course, a different
    > matter altogether.

    Yeah, even though it's out of print, the copyright holder still holds
    the distribution rights, and there's always the chance they'll place it
    back into print. But even if they don't, what you said.
    Tarkus, Dec 13, 2007
  4. Netmask Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
    > cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

    what is the title?
    Netmask, Dec 13, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Dec 13, 5:49 pm, "Netmask" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
    > > cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

    > what is the title?

    Brian Jacques' Mattimeo - A Tale of Redwall: Season Two

    Brian Jacques' Martin the Warrior - A Tale of Redwall: Season Three

    My kids love Redwall.
    , Dec 14, 2007
  6. Netmask Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 13, 5:49 pm, "Netmask" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > How can I find out if it is legal to copy an out of print DVD? I
    >> > cannot even find a used copy online, Ebay, etc.

    >> what is the title?

    > Brian Jacques' Mattimeo - A Tale of Redwall: Season Two
    >
    > Brian Jacques' Martin the Warrior - A Tale of Redwall: Season Three
    >
    > My kids love Redwall.

    Seems to be in the 'collectors' category going by price..... do you have DVD
    lending libraries in your country? that would be another lead.

    http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Jacques-Mattimeo-Redwall-Season/dp/B000ENUKQC
    Netmask, Dec 14, 2007