Researching a new pc for family member

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I am researching a new pc for a family member.

    They currently have a system that is 6 or 7 years old, and should have
    been replaced many eons ago. It is an old Pentium 550 Mhz system with
    a 12GB HDD! The system was already used when they got it, it was not
    brand new.

    They don't have a lot to spend on a PC, only as much as £500 UK Pounds
    approximately.

    They would probably need good support as far as the hardware goes from
    the PC manufacturer. I am thinking 3 years (next day) on site.

    I have so far looked at Dell and IBM web sites for Desktops. If you
    can suggest any more places to look, where they have good servicing
    afterwards should anything go wrong, I'd be very grateful. I will
    probably buy a few magazines in the next few days to see what else are
    currently good offers in that price range.

    It's not something I have really looked into myself before as I
    usually construct my own PC from the components I desire, and my
    current system I don't intend to replace until the end of 2006, when
    it will be 3 years old.

    The new desktop I am researching, is something that will be mainly
    used for Office applications, and also transferring digital photos to.
    They already have an Office 2000 CD package which they can continue
    using.

    I am thinking that they would only need Home Edition of Windows XP. A
    processor of around +2.8Ghz. Memory of 512MB minimum. A Hard Drive of
    80GB minimum. Just a basic Graphics card nothing top of the range.
    They don't need an advanced Sound Card either, surround sound wont be
    needed, just basic but good stereo speakers.

    I think a decent Epson printer would be good so they can print out
    photos, so something like an R200. They already have a big 19"
    Samsung CRT monitor that was bought about 2 years ago which is quite
    good. I guess they would like a slim TFT monitor to save space,
    however that may be a little too expensive at the moment and would
    push the price over £500? I think perhaps they may have to skip the
    slim monitor for now.

    Anyway, if you can suggest any other places I can look for good
    Desktop deals for a new PC, that have good after sale servicing and
    support, I'd be very grateful.

    Cheers

    John
    John, Jun 11, 2005

  2. John

    drg Guest

    Dell, in my opinion has the best buy for your buck. But I have always
    found that the ideal computer is a build. You can piece together a
    decent one for $500 USD or less or a gamer for around $2000 USD.

    DRG

    P.S.

    Of course you could check Acer, alienware, axcelpc, voodoopc.
    For hardware try newegg.com or tigerdirect.com

    drg, Jun 12, 2005

  3. John

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:45:00 +0100, John wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I am researching a new pc for a family member.
    >
    > They currently have a system that is 6 or 7 years old, and should have
    > been replaced many eons ago. It is an old Pentium 550 Mhz system with a
    > 12GB HDD! The system was already used when they got it, it was not brand
    > new.
    >
    > They don't have a lot to spend on a PC, only as much as £500 UK Pounds
    > approximately.
    >
    > They would probably need good support as far as the hardware goes from
    > the PC manufacturer. I am thinking 3 years (next day) on site.

    What do they need manufacturer support for? They have you. Most problems
    people have with thier computers is due to user error, not component
    failure.

    > The new desktop I am researching, is something that will be mainly used
    > for Office applications, and also transferring digital photos to. They
    > already have an Office 2000 CD package which they can continue using.
    >
    > I am thinking that they would only need Home Edition of Windows XP. A
    > processor of around +2.8Ghz. Memory of 512MB minimum. A Hard Drive of
    > 80GB minimum. Just a basic Graphics card nothing top of the range. They
    > don't need an advanced Sound Card either, surround sound wont be needed,
    > just basic but good stereo speakers.

    You could save yourself around $100 or more by dropping that processor
    requirement to 1.6Gig and use a Celeron or something. If they are'nt
    heavy into gaming you just don't need it for word processing and web
    surfing. I put together a micro ATX system with a 1.6Gig AMD Duran, a
    Chaintech motherboard with 512Mb DDRAM and a 60Mb WD 7400rpm Hard Drive
    for $250. It plays Serious Sam just fine. Your stuck paying $100 for
    Windows XP no matter what you do, however.

    > Anyway, if you can suggest any other places I can look for good Desktop
    > deals for a new PC, that have good after sale servicing and support, I'd
    > be very grateful.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    Check out Tiger Direct http://www.tigerdirect.com/ and NewEgg
    http://www.newegg.com/ . You can find complete systems or components to
    supplement stuff you may have laying around. CD ROM's, floppy drives,
    etc. I'd have to suggest building something over buying new, however, but
    then that's just me :)
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jun 12, 2005
  4. John

    Guest

    500mhz is still good enough to do just about anything aside from the
    latest graphics intensive work.

    Since you said they won't be playing games on it or anything, do you
    think they will notice a difference between that one and a new one?
    , Jun 12, 2005
  5. wrote:

    > 500mhz is still good enough to do just about anything aside from the
    > latest graphics intensive work.
    >
    > Since you said they won't be playing games on it or anything, do you
    > think they will notice a difference between that one and a new one?

    Is true i am work here on a 500Mhz, you can give me you're old PC :) it's
    great :) . I am also trying now to configure a OLD PC P2 233Mhz as server
    (atjouououum)
    --
    David Van Mosselbeen - DVM
    http://dvm.zapto.org:3333
    David Van Mosselbeen, Jun 15, 2005
  6. John

    John Guest

    Believe me they definitely need a new PC. I am looking at something
    like an Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent AMD system. Around the 2.8 to
    3.2 Ghz mark for Intel and whatever that translates to for AMD.

    We need to do Digital Photography and Music applications besides the
    Office stuff and the 550Mhz PC can not handle any of this. It is
    redundant and should have been replaced years ago.

    Cheers

    John
    John, Jul 2, 2005