Researcher: Vista prevents users playing high-def content

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg House, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    Greg House, Aug 10, 2007

  2. Greg House

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done," Gutmann, from the University of
    > Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the
    > user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."
    >

    > http://www.infoworld.com/article/07...ista-prevents-playing-high-def-content_1.html

    from the link
    New Zealand's government, which has argued that digital rights
    management fails to address the rights of people and government, appears
    to be the only government worldwide to express public concern about
    Vista's content protection standards, Gutmann said.

    Year the only people aloud to screw NZers is the Government Not some
    upstart company like Microsoft. The NZ Government plans on making us so
    poor we cant afford Vista or the PC required to run it.

    Robert Cooze, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Robert Cooze <> wrote:

    > Greg House wrote:
    > > "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done,"
    > > Gutmann, from the University of Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving
    > > a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the user and not
    > > the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."
    > >

    > > http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/10/Vista-prevents-playing-high-de
    > > f-content_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/1
    > > 0/Vista-prevents-playing-high-def-content_1.html

    > from the link
    > New Zealand's government, which has argued that digital rights
    > management fails to address the rights of people and government, appears
    > to be the only government worldwide to express public concern about
    > Vista's content protection standards, Gutmann said.
    >
    > Year the only people aloud to screw NZers is the Government Not some
    > upstart company like Microsoft. The NZ Government plans on making us so
    > poor we cant afford Vista or the PC required to run it.

    ....and the nuts start coming out of the woodwork :-D
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 11, 2007
  4. Greg House

    Richard Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done," Gutmann, from the University of
    > Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the
    > user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."
    >

    > http://www.infoworld.com/article/07...ista-prevents-playing-high-def-content_1.html

    The title is misleading, playback of 1080p h264 content is perfect on a
    friends vista machine.
    Richard, Aug 12, 2007
  5. Greg House

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 11, 10:22 am, Greg House
    < wrote:
    > "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done," Gutmann, from the University of
    > Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the
    > user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/10/Vista-prevents-playing-high...

    Here's another recent article about DRM: http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/aacs-tentacles.ars

    "Peter Gutmann, author of a well-known and fascinating paper
    describing the tradeoffs of Microsoft's content protection system in
    Windows Vista, is on the hunt again. Last year, his paper "Cost
    Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection" painted a grim picture
    of the lengths Microsoft went to in order to gain full compliance with
    AACS, the next-gen copy control system for Blu-ray and HD DVD (and
    they did go far). Now Gutmann is reiterating his claims but also
    reportedly digging deep in his attacks on Microsoft. While Microsoft
    deserves some of the blame, the bigger story here is the technical
    nightmare created by AACS and how its tentacles are reaching into the
    consumer technology we all use daily. It's a shame that this is
    getting lost in the mix, but after discussing the issue with a
    journalist this weekend, I decided to delve a little more into it
    here."
    Chris Lim, Aug 14, 2007
  6. Greg House

    Cadae Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    > "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done,"
    > Gutmann, from the University of
    > Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content
    > protection. "Once the enemy is the
    > user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."

    I have to disagree with Peter Gutmann about Vista, my experiences in the
    last 6 months with Vista and high-def content have been fine. I don't have a
    digital high-def screen yet, but on my old analog high-def screen the sample
    HD clips that Microsoft and others provide run just fine, in full
    resolution, and the decryption/security software was an insigificant load on
    my cpu (around 5% last time I looked).

    I think Peter should stop interviewing his typewriter and Linux boxes for
    views about Vista, and instead actually start up and observe a Vista machine
    running HD.

    For an interesting commentary on Gutmann's claims, see
    ZDNet - "Claim that Vista DRM causes full CPU load and global warming
    debunked!"
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=673

    PC
    Cadae, Aug 16, 2007
  7. Greg House

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 17, 1:27 am, "Cadae" <> wrote:
    > I have to disagree with Peter Gutmann about Vista, my experiences in the
    > last 6 months with Vista and high-def content have been fine. I don't have a
    > digital high-def screen yet, but on my old analog high-def screen the sample
    > HD clips that Microsoft and others provide run just fine, in full
    > resolution, and the decryption/security software was an insigificant load on
    > my cpu (around 5% last time I looked).

    Could that be because the current movies don't implement HDCP though?
    Or does Vista enforce the copy protection on all HD movies?
    Chris Lim, Aug 16, 2007
  8. Greg House

    Cadae Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 17, 1:27 am, "Cadae" <> wrote:
    >> I have to disagree with Peter Gutmann about Vista, my experiences in the
    >> last 6 months with Vista and high-def content have been fine. I don't
    >> have a
    >> digital high-def screen yet, but on my old analog high-def screen the
    >> sample
    >> HD clips that Microsoft and others provide run just fine, in full
    >> resolution, and the decryption/security software was an insigificant load
    >> on
    >> my cpu (around 5% last time I looked).

    > Could that be because the current movies don't implement HDCP though?
    > Or does Vista enforce the copy protection on all HD movies?

    Vista fires up its security programs when video is being played - I've seen
    it running a few times.

    HD content at present has the ICT flag turned off, and Hollywood has
    apparently agreed to not use the ICT flag till at least 2012, so HDCP is a
    non-issue for years to come (possibly not being a factor until after Vista
    has been superseded!).

    However, the claims being made by Gutmann et al are that Vista right now is
    causing problems with the ICT flag and HDCP. This is simply untrue.

    At best he may be able to support his claims for the post 2012 world, but to
    do so, Gutmann needs to at least get Vista, some HDCP ICT flag-on content
    and whirl it. Till he does it's all mere speculation, with the fan boyz on
    both sides adding heat and noise but no light.

    It is surpising that someone of Gutmann's standing would get so caught up
    fan-boy style in mere speculation. I await real results on real machines
    with real content. If anyone can point me to some ICT flag-on HD content,
    I'm more than happy to try it on my own Vista machine.

    PC
    Cadae, Aug 17, 2007