Rerouting Cisco calls via H.323

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Pete Calvert, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. Pete Calvert

    Pete Calvert Guest

    Hello,

    I currently have a project where one of the possible solutions could be to
    reroute Cisco VOIP calls through a seperate network to simulate different
    network conditions via bespoke network emulation software.

    I am looking at using the H.323 interaction capabilties in Cisco
    Callmanager 3.3 to connect to a H.323 gateway and then reroute the call
    through the additional network and back into the Cisco network.

    I have only just started on this project and am not really familiar with
    either Cisco Callmanager or H.323 so I'm trying to find some good resources
    to see if this is a feasible solution.

    If anyone could suggest some good websites to look at, or if anyone has
    done something similar I would be very interested.

    Many thanks.

    Pete

    --
    Pete Calvert
    Scientist
    Pete Calvert, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Pete Calvert wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I currently have a project where one of the possible solutions could be
    > to reroute Cisco VOIP calls through a seperate network to simulate
    > different network conditions via bespoke network emulation software.
    >
    > I am looking at using the H.323 interaction capabilties in Cisco
    > Callmanager 3.3 to connect to a H.323 gateway and then reroute the call
    > through the additional network and back into the Cisco network.
    >
    > I have only just started on this project and am not really familiar with
    > either Cisco Callmanager or H.323 so I'm trying to find some good
    > resources to see if this is a feasible solution.
    >
    > If anyone could suggest some good websites to look at, or if anyone has
    > done something similar I would be very interested.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Pete

    Hi Pete,

    A possible solution could be to have the CCM 'talk' to a VoIP enabled
    router like the 1751 or 1760. On this router you should have to NIC's in
    different network ranges. Connect both NIC's to a Linux machine to
    routes packets from the first network into the second and vice versa. On
    this linux machine you can have all sorts of emulation software slowing
    down the router or introducing all kinds of test setups.

    On the CCM you will need to setup some 'route-patterns', try cisco.com
    and search for route-pattern. On the router you will need to setup
    dial-peers, again try cisco.com for dial-peer. Possibly you would also
    need to setup translation rules on the router.

    --
    Arnold

    http://www.ligtvoet.org
    Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Arnold Ligtvoet, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Pete Calvert

    Pete Calvert Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:51:26 +0100, Arnold Ligtvoet <>
    wrote:

    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > A possible solution could be to have the CCM 'talk' to a VoIP enabled
    > router like the 1751 or 1760. On this router you should have to NIC's in
    > different network ranges. Connect both NIC's to a Linux machine to routes
    > packets from the first network into the second and vice versa. On this
    > linux machine you can have all sorts of emulation software slowing down
    > the router or introducing all kinds of test setups.
    >
    > On the CCM you will need to setup some 'route-patterns', try cisco.com
    > and search for route-pattern. On the router you will need to setup dial-
    > peers, again try cisco.com for dial-peer. Possibly you would also need to
    > setup translation rules on the router.

    Hi Arnold,

    Thanks for the information, that definitely looks like it could be a useful
    option. I've had a look at the Cisco site and I have a couple of questions
    about the specifics of this setup. The 1760 router has one 10/100 Ethernet
    port, and four slots for WIC/VIC cards. So would it be a case of also
    buying two Ethernet WIC cards and connecting these to the Linux machine,
    and then then use the Ethernet port to connect to the current VOIP network.
    I'm also worried that the router will be 'smart' and realise that it isn't
    necessary to go through the extra network in order to reach the other
    phone. I'm guessing that the route-patterns and dial peers will avoid this
    problem if configured correctly.

    Thanks

    Pete
    Pete Calvert, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Pete Calvert wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:51:26 +0100, Arnold Ligtvoet <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Hi Pete,
    >>
    >> A possible solution could be to have the CCM 'talk' to a VoIP enabled
    >> router like the 1751 or 1760. On this router you should have to NIC's
    >> in different network ranges. Connect both NIC's to a Linux machine to
    >> routes packets from the first network into the second and vice versa.
    >> On this linux machine you can have all sorts of emulation software
    >> slowing down the router or introducing all kinds of test setups.
    >>
    >> On the CCM you will need to setup some 'route-patterns', try cisco.com
    >> and search for route-pattern. On the router you will need to setup
    >> dial- peers, again try cisco.com for dial-peer. Possibly you would
    >> also need to setup translation rules on the router.
    >>

    > Hi Arnold,
    >
    > Thanks for the information, that definitely looks like it could be a
    > useful option. I've had a look at the Cisco site and I have a couple of
    > questions about the specifics of this setup. The 1760 router has one
    > 10/100 Ethernet port, and four slots for WIC/VIC cards. So would it be
    > a case of also buying two Ethernet WIC cards and connecting these to the
    > Linux machine, and then then use the Ethernet port to connect to the
    > current VOIP network. I'm also worried that the router will be 'smart'
    > and realise that it isn't necessary to go through the extra network in
    > order to reach the other phone. I'm guessing that the route-patterns
    > and dial peers will avoid this problem if configured correctly.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pete

    I would guess that your routing questions could be solved by setting
    default gateways out of the cisco router, but I'm not sure if the router
    will listen to these.

    As you can see in the group, I've been playing with asterisk a bit. I
    imagine you could also you this for testing the cisco stuff.

    Setup would be something like:

    cisco cm > router > linux asterisk

    2nd ext at cm < router < extension x

    This setup would be dialout from phone 1 on ccm, create a dial-peer on
    the router so that the call is forwarded to asterisk, in asterisk
    extension.conf create an extension that says something like:
    exten => 500,1,H323,

    I'm not really sure of the H323 syntax in *, since mine is not H323
    enabled. The call is then routed back into the router, make sure you
    have a translation rule that macthes the incoming called number to a
    valid cisco extension, and the call signals at extension 2 on the ccm.

    Again I would assume that you could introduce all sorts of network
    trouble on the linux side using software, although I couldn't tell you
    which software.

    Arnold Ligtvoet, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Pete Calvert

    aaaa Guest

    Hey~ why dun u try a SoftSwitch and turn on the Proxy?

    aaaa, Nov 18, 2003