    router. I have access on both computers but I am not able to share files.
    None of the wizards seem to work. Is there a way to delete the network group
    and start from scratch again?

    =?Utf-8?B?Ymxha3JhaW4=?=, Dec 17, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Ymxha3JhaW4=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 18, 2005

  3. there are a few problems with the pages I looked at. One shows how to test
    the ip settings and explains what they mean but does NOT say if those results
    are a good thingT or not. I have no refrence to what is a GOOD setting so
    the results mean nothing to me. Another link on that page shows how to reset
    ip settings but the commands did not work for me. Finally, I went through the
    Windows Xp troubleshooter and it was no help. I tried changing the computer
    name of the machine that could not read the main computer. I was going to try
    the qizard but it was not clear (strange because when I first set up my
    network it was a breeze). All I know is that as of now my computer that is
    directly hooked up to my router can see my other machine but my other machine
    canot find the main computer. It can find the woreless network I have and is
    using it. What I need is a way (in layman terms as much as possible) to know
    what I need to check in my network to confirm it is wither right or wrong.
    and how to either correct it or remove the network altogether and recreate
    it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Ymxha3JhaW4=?=, Dec 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Ymxha3JhaW4=?=

    Malke Guest

    blakrain wrote:

    > there are a few problems with the pages I looked at. One shows how to
    > test the ip settings and explains what they mean but does NOT say if
    > those results
    > are a good thingT or not. I have no refrence to what is a GOOD
    > setting so the results mean nothing to me. Another link on that page
    > shows how to reset ip settings but the commands did not work for me.
    > Finally, I went through the Windows Xp troubleshooter and it was no
    > help. I tried changing the computer name of the machine that could not
    > read the main computer. I was going to try the qizard but it was not
    > clear (strange because when I first set up my network it was a
    > breeze). All I know is that as of now my computer that is directly
    > hooked up to my router can see my other machine but my other machine
    > canot find the main computer. It can find the woreless network I have
    > and is using it. What I need is a way (in layman terms as much as
    > possible) to know what I need to check in my network to confirm it is
    > wither right or wrong. and how to either correct it or remove the
    > network altogether and recreate it.
    >
    > "Jack" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "blakrain" <> wrote in message
    >> >I had to reinatall windows on my main compter. I am using a Lynksys
    >> >woreless
    >> > router. I have access on both computers but I am not able to share
    >> > files. None of the wizards seem to work. Is there a way to delete
    >> > the network group
    >> > and start from scratch again?

    Your problem is usually caused by a misconfigured firewall. If you are
    only using the Windows Firewall on both machines (and both machines are
    XP Service Pack 2), go to the WF applet in Control Panel, click on the
    Exceptions tab, and make sure that File & Printer Sharing is checked.

    If you have a third-party firewall installed (ZoneAlarm, Sygate, etc.)
    you need to configure it to allow your local area network as trusted.
    With a Linksys router, normally you would do this with an IP range of
    192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. If you have an antivirus installed that
    includes something like Norton's Internet Worm Protection, that is also
    a firewall and you don't want more than one firewall running so disable
    it or WF.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers