    The window is a bit cramped and offers no sorting.

    Are there any add-ons which can make managing the applications in
    Sygate easier?

    Martin C.E., Sep 22, 2003

  2. Martin C.E.

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:38:55 +0100, "Martin C.E."
    <> wrote:

    >I use Sygate personal Firewall 5 and I find that it is slow work
    >going through the list of entries in the "Applications" window.
    >
    >The window is a bit cramped and offers no sorting.
    >
    >Are there any add-ons which can make managing the applications in
    >Sygate easier?

    Nope, no such utilities exist. Perhaps you could write a few.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 22, 2003

  3. Martin C.E.

    J Jay Guest

    In article <93FE8AD7539C1835A@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > I use Sygate personal Firewall 5 and I find that it is slow work
    > going through the list of entries in the "Applications" window.
    >
    > The window is a bit cramped and offers no sorting.
    >
    > Are there any add-ons which can make managing the applications in
    > Sygate easier?

    I don't understand the problem you are having with the Applications
    Window. This is a list of applications (or O/S components) that have
    or have attempted to connect to internet.
    Click on an item, then click Advanced at the bottom of the page to
    set the advanced application configuration for that item.
    You can assign remote port numbers that it can connect to (excluding
    all others)and set it to act as client.
    Also, you can right click an item to set it to Allow, Ask, or Block.
    Thats about all you do with the app. window. I can't imagine why you
    would want to sort anything.
    Take a look at:
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html

    J Jay, Sep 22, 2003
  4. Martin C.E.

    Martin C.E. Guest

    J Jay <> wrote:

    >> I use Sygate personal Firewall 5 and I find that it is slow
    >> work going through the list of entries in the "Applications"
    >> window.
    >>
    >> The window is a bit cramped and offers no sorting.
    >>
    >> Are there any add-ons which can make managing the applications
    >> in Sygate easier?
    >>

    > I don't understand the problem you are having with the
    > Applications Window. This is a list of applications (or O/S
    > components) that have or have attempted to connect to internet.

    We are talking at cross purposes! The problem I have is finding an
    application outof all the entries.

    For example, I may get told that a certain program has tried to get
    through the firewall. This is slow to locate because they prgrams
    are sorted by full directory path (though not in all cases to make it
    even harder). The window is too small and can't be enlarged.

    > Click on an item, then click Advanced at the bottom of the page
    > to set the advanced application configuration for that item.
    > You can assign remote port numbers that it can connect to
    > (excluding all others)and set it to act as client.
    > Also, you can right click an item to set it to Allow, Ask, or
    > Block. Thats about all you do with the app. window. I can't
    > imagine why you would want to sort anything.
    > Take a look at:
    > http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html

    Nice site. Thanks for the link!

    Martin C.E., Sep 22, 2003
  5. Martin C.E.

    J Jay Guest

    In article <93FED8D67CB7E835A@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > J Jay <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I use Sygate personal Firewall 5 and I find that it is slow
    > >> work going through the list of entries in the "Applications"
    > >> window.
    > >>
    > >> The window is a bit cramped and offers no sorting.
    > >>
    > >> Are there any add-ons which can make managing the applications
    > >> in Sygate easier?
    > >>

    > > I don't understand the problem you are having with the
    > > Applications Window. This is a list of applications (or O/S
    > > components) that have or have attempted to connect to internet.

    > We are talking at cross purposes! The problem I have is finding an
    > application outof all the entries.
    >
    > For example, I may get told that a certain program has tried to get
    > through the firewall. This is slow to locate because they prgrams
    > are sorted by full directory path (though not in all cases to make it
    > even harder). The window is too small and can't be enlarged.
    >
    > > Take a look at:
    > > http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html

    > Nice site. Thanks for the link!

    Martin, you must be running Win XP or 2000. I run Win 98 and
    am not familar with those. My son had a problem puting a firewall
    on 2000. Win2000 o/s had a dozen or two services that pass
    out thru a service host file (svchost.exe). Billy Gates built
    them that way :>( I understand that they all show up in the
    Application Window as svchost. I suppose this is what is giving
    you the trouble. You might can sort that out here:

    http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microso
    ft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q250/3/20.ASP&NoWebContent=1

    Good Luck, JJ

    J Jay, Sep 22, 2003