Require help with what appears to be a dead PC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Wade, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Wade

    Wade Guest

    09012005 1645 GMT-5

    My buddy asked me to install a new hard drive on his computer. I
    brought it home and found a LOT of dust inside. I cleaned that out with
    the vaccuum and some damp cloths. After about 45 minutes I removed the
    Western Digital hd and installed the Maxtor hd. I put the Windows XP cd
    in the cd drive and then started the system. I only have the monitor,
    keyboard, and mouse installed. When I turned on the power I did not
    hear the hard drive spin. The CDrom light just blinks but doesnt spin
    the cd.

    I removed the new hard drive and reinstalled the old one. Same same
    happened. No spin of the hd or cd rom.

    I was careful to reuse the exact power cables inside and nothing else
    came unplugged.

    Im not sure what to do next? Any suggestions?

    Wade

    Wade, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Wade

    Wade Guest

    Wade, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Wade

    philo Guest

    Wade wrote:

    > 09012005 1645 GMT-5
    >
    > My buddy asked me to install a new hard drive on his computer. I
    > brought it home and found a LOT of dust inside. I cleaned that out with
    > the vaccuum and some damp cloths.

    <snip>

    getting the machine wet probably caused the problem...

    if you let it dry out overnight it *might* work again

    philo, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Wade

    Wade Guest

    09042005 1336 GMT-5

    Just to follow up with what was actually wrong.

    I wiped the very think dust out of the interior, vaccuumed out the rest
    of the crap and then went to installing the hard drive. When I turned
    it on the cdrom would just kinda wind up and then stop. The hd wouldnt
    do anything.

    After letting it sit another day I was just going over the wiring,
    looking for anthing loose because I didnt think it could still be any
    dampness. It had sat many hours already since cleaning before I turned
    it on.

    What it turned out to be was the red voltage button on the back was
    switched from 115 to 230 and therefore there wasnt enough power to run
    the system. After I switched it the system started right up.

    Whats odd is that I didnt even open that little hatch to clean in there
    so I couldnt have turned that switch.

    Alls fine now though.

    wade

    Wade, Sep 4, 2005