Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 or Canon Pixma MP530?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    These printers are available from COSTCO.

    Hi, I need a replacement multifunction inkjet printer (print/scan but fax
    isn't necessary).
    I've owned two HP multifunction printers, most recently HP 2351, but both
    of
    them developed
    paper feed problems. After spending a couple of hours trying to fix it,
    including browsing the
    HP website, I decided to cut my losses and get a new printer.

    I mainly print text and only occasionally use color and infrequently print
    photos and scan infrequently
    but need good results when I use it.

    Can I refill the inkjet cartridges on the HP C5180 and the Canon Pixma
    MP530? If so, which ink is recommended? I read pigment inks are best.

    CNET prefers the Pixma MP530 over the C5180.

    I'd like to hear from people who have used these printers.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike, Dec 22, 2006

  2. Mike

    Roger Moss Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > These printers are available from COSTCO.
    >

    > Hi, I need a replacement multifunction inkjet printer (print/scan but fax
    > isn't necessary).
    > I've owned two HP multifunction printers, most recently HP 2351, but both
    > of
    > them developed
    > paper feed problems. After spending a couple of hours trying to fix it,
    > including browsing the
    > HP website, I decided to cut my losses and get a new printer.
    >
    > I mainly print text and only occasionally use color and infrequently print
    > photos and scan infrequently
    > but need good results when I use it.
    >
    > Can I refill the inkjet cartridges on the HP C5180 and the Canon Pixma
    > MP530? If so, which ink is recommended? I read pigment inks are best.
    >
    > CNET prefers the Pixma MP530 over the C5180.
    >
    > I'd like to hear from people who have used these printers.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Alternatively, get out the screwdriver and rough-up (okay, de-glaze) the
    transport rollers which usually cause paper-feed problems - particularly
    with HPs.

    RM

    Roger Moss, Dec 22, 2006

  3. Mike

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, Mike <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > These printers are available from COSTCO. Hi, I need a replacement
    > multifunction inkjet printer (print/scan but fax isn't necessary).
    > I've owned two HP multifunction printers, most recently HP 2351, but
    > both of them developed paper feed problems. After spending a couple
    > of hours trying to fix it, including browsing the HP website, I
    > decided to cut my losses and get a new printer.

    Bottom line: no multi-function device will ever be as good at any one
    of those functions as a single device would be.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com

    Aaron, Dec 22, 2006
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Roger Moss" <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
    > Alternatively, get out the screwdriver and rough-up (okay, de-glaze) the
    > transport rollers which usually cause paper-feed problems - particularly
    > with HPs.

    The printer is gone. I didnm't use it more than than two dozen times for a
    total of twenty four printed sheets max.

    Mike, Dec 22, 2006
  5. Re: Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 or CanonPixma MP530?

    Aaron wrote:
    > And lo, Mike <> emerged from the ether
    > and spake thus:
    >> These printers are available from COSTCO. Hi, I need a replacement
    >> multifunction inkjet printer (print/scan but fax isn't necessary).
    >> I've owned two HP multifunction printers, most recently HP 2351, but
    >> both of them developed paper feed problems. After spending a couple
    >> of hours trying to fix it, including browsing the HP website, I
    >> decided to cut my losses and get a new printer.

    > Bottom line: no multi-function device will ever be as good at any one
    > of those functions as a single device would be.

    Not necessarily so with Canon multifunction printers. Many share the
    same print engines as their dedicated photo printers. Case in point is
    the MP780 and the iP4000. We have both and each print photos with
    identical quality. They even use the exact same print head. In
    general, most of Canon's multifunction inkjets are very capable, and
    fast, photo printers.

    Michael Johnson, Dec 22, 2006
  6. Mike

    m Ransley Guest

    Re: Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 orCano...

    The Canon mp950 is as good as their single units, but it costs 400 so it
    should be.

    m Ransley, Dec 22, 2006
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Michael Johnson" <> wrote in message

    > Not necessarily so with Canon multifunction printers. Many share the same
    > print engines as their dedicated photo printers. Case in point is the
    > MP780 and the iP4000. We have both and each print photos with identical
    > quality. They even use the exact same print head. In general, most of
    > Canon's multifunction inkjets are very capable, and fast, photo printers.

    CNET reviews prefers the Pixma 530 over the HP C5180.
    How difficult is it to refill the Canon cartridges?

    Mike, Dec 22, 2006
  8. Re: Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 or CanonPixma MP530?

    Mike wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Not necessarily so with Canon multifunction printers. Many share the same
    >> print engines as their dedicated photo printers. Case in point is the
    >> MP780 and the iP4000. We have both and each print photos with identical
    >> quality. They even use the exact same print head. In general, most of
    >> Canon's multifunction inkjets are very capable, and fast, photo printers.

    > CNET reviews prefers the Pixma 530 over the HP C5180.
    > How difficult is it to refill the Canon cartridges?

    Canon cartridges are probably the easiest to refill of any brand, even
    their chipped cartridges. On the chipped ones you will lose the ink
    monitoring capability by refilling the OEM carts but the cost savings
    over OEM is huge. Refilling runs less than $1 per cartridge and new OEM
    chipped cartridges are going for about $15 each. You will save enough
    on one set of refilled carts to buy a new printer!

    We have only non-chipped Canon printers and I get prefilled BCI-6
    cartridges for about $1.70 each shipped to my door. For that price
    refilling isn't worth the hassles. There are some solutions coming to
    the market for the chipped printers but they are new and relatively
    untested at this point.

    IMO, the best deal by far is to try and get a new, or refurbished, Canon
    printer that uses the BCI-6 cartridges. For multifunction units the
    Canon MP780 is very hard to beat for home/small office use. I have used
    an MP780 (same print engine as the iP4000) for the past 1.5 years and it
    has performed flawlessly. I don't hesitate to recommend it to others.

    Michael Johnson, Dec 23, 2006
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Michael Johnson" <> wrote in message > Canon cartridges are
    probably the easiest to refill of any brand, even
    > their chipped cartridges. On the chipped ones you will lose the ink
    > monitoring capability by refilling the OEM carts but the cost savings over
    > OEM is huge. Refilling runs less than $1 per cartridge and new OEM
    > chipped cartridges are going for about $15 each. You will save enough on
    > one set of refilled carts to buy a new printer!
    >
    > We have only non-chipped Canon printers and I get prefilled BCI-6
    > cartridges for about $1.70 each shipped to my door. For that price
    > refilling isn't worth the hassles. There are some solutions coming to the
    > market for the chipped printers but they are new and relatively untested
    > at this point.
    >
    > IMO, the best deal by far is to try and get a new, or refurbished, Canon
    > printer that uses the BCI-6 cartridges. For multifunction units the Canon
    > MP780 is very hard to beat for home/small office use. I have used an
    > MP780 (same print engine as the iP4000) for the past 1.5 years and it has
    > performed flawlessly. I don't hesitate to recommend it to others.

    I'll try to find out if the MP530 uses BCI-6 cartridges. Which brand ink
    do you use to refill the cartridges?

    Mike, Dec 23, 2006
  10. Re: Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 or CanonPixma MP530?

    Mike wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson" <> wrote in message > Canon cartridges are
    > probably the easiest to refill of any brand, even
    >> their chipped cartridges. On the chipped ones you will lose the ink
    >> monitoring capability by refilling the OEM carts but the cost savings over
    >> OEM is huge. Refilling runs less than $1 per cartridge and new OEM
    >> chipped cartridges are going for about $15 each. You will save enough on
    >> one set of refilled carts to buy a new printer!
    >>
    >> We have only non-chipped Canon printers and I get prefilled BCI-6
    >> cartridges for about $1.70 each shipped to my door. For that price
    >> refilling isn't worth the hassles. There are some solutions coming to the
    >> market for the chipped printers but they are new and relatively untested
    >> at this point.
    >>
    >> IMO, the best deal by far is to try and get a new, or refurbished, Canon
    >> printer that uses the BCI-6 cartridges. For multifunction units the Canon
    >> MP780 is very hard to beat for home/small office use. I have used an
    >> MP780 (same print engine as the iP4000) for the past 1.5 years and it has
    >> performed flawlessly. I don't hesitate to recommend it to others.

    > I'll try to find out if the MP530 uses BCI-6 cartridges. Which brand ink
    > do you use to refill the cartridges?

    The MP530 uses the new chipped cartridges. I buy cartridges from here:
    https://www.neximaging.com/

    Michael Johnson, Dec 23, 2006
  11. Mike

    > The MP530 uses the new chipped cartridges. I buy cartridges from here:
    > https://www.neximaging.com/

    They sell cartridges for the MP500 do I need to buy for the MP530?
    They sell cartridges w/o the chip for $3.09 will they work for me?

    Mike, Dec 23, 2006
  12. Re: Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 or CanonPixma MP530?

    Mike wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> The MP530 uses the new chipped cartridges. I buy cartridges from here:
    >> https://www.neximaging.com/

    > They sell cartridges for the MP500 do I need to buy for the MP530?
    > They sell cartridges w/o the chip for $3.09 will they work for me?

    I think you will have to physically transfer the chip to the new
    cartridge but you will lose ink monitoring capability. I would refill
    instead of going through this hassle. There are some other systems
    coming to market for the CLI-8 cartridges that solve the chip problems
    but they aren't well tested yet and I would be skeptical of them until I
    hear some positive feedback from real world users.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 27, 2006
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Michael Johnson, PE" <> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    >> "Michael Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >>> The MP530 uses the new chipped cartridges. I buy cartridges from here:
    >>> https://www.neximaging.com/

    >> They sell cartridges for the MP500 do I need to buy for the MP530?
    >> They sell cartridges w/o the chip for $3.09 will they work for me?

    > I think you will have to physically transfer the chip to the new cartridge
    > but you will lose ink monitoring capability. I would refill instead of
    > going through this hassle. There are some other systems coming to market
    > for the CLI-8 cartridges that solve the chip problems but they aren't well
    > tested yet and I would be skeptical of them until I hear some positive
    > feedback from real world users.

    I was ready to buy the Pixma MP 530 then saw the Pixma MP 600 for less money
    on Amazon.
    Reviews are about the same except the MP 530 has a fax which I don't
    particulary care about.
    Should I go wityh the MP 600?

    Mike

    Mike, Dec 27, 2006
  14. Mike

    >> I think you will have to physically transfer the chip to the new

    > cartridge but you will lose ink monitoring capability. I would refill
    > instead of going through this hassle. There are some other systems coming
    > to market for the CLI-8 cartridges that solve the chip problems but they
    > aren't well tested yet and I would be skeptical of them until I hear some
    > positive feedback from real world users.

    I agree I don't want to go through all of that. For now, I'll just refill.

    Mike, Dec 28, 2006