Request to the Usenet community

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Alan P, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Alan P

    Alan P Guest

    Alan P, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Alan P

    sponge Guest

    "Alan P" <alan@(nojunkplease)alancode.net> wrote in message news:<btvbqn$dre$>...
    > This has probably been posted before.. but in case it hasn't:
    >
    > http://www.againsttcpa.com

    Yep, got that on my site.
    Hey, read up on the problems people have been having with Norton stuff
    - because of Symantec's version of TCPA.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Security Site
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    My new email yosponge two at yahoo dot com replace the two with the
    number
    sponge, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Alan P

    sponge, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Alan P

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:49:43 +0000 (UTC), "Alan P"
    <alan@(nojunkplease)alancode.net> wrote:

    >This has probably been posted before.. but in case it hasn't:
    >
    >http://www.againsttcpa.com

    if it means an end to Kazza and the <very many expletives deleted>
    problem of spyware fucking the life out of commercial machines it
    may not be +such+ a bad thing ...;

    Peraps we could then get down to business instead of play

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Alan P

    Alan P Guest

    Have you heard some of the broader implications though?

    Like no non-licensed users being able to compile any programs? (All
    compilers will be protected so you will need to have a registered ID in
    order to use them)

    And features such as the remote-disabling of programs.. well...

    Alan P, Jan 13, 2004
  6. Alan P

    Alan P Guest

    Me too :)

    Don't think I could have made it any more prominent

    http://alancode.net

    Alan P, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Alan P

    johns Guest

    I agree totally. Frankly, I would like to slap the shit
    out of some jerk sending poop to my machine on my
    job. I really hope this ID process goes through. I
    want to get these bastards in a court of law, and just
    maybe down a back alley. I have no sympathy at all
    with those who will not take this business seriously.
    Their naive attitude has brought this on everybody.

    johns
    johns, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Alan P

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:40:41 +0000 (UTC), "Alan P"
    <alan@(nojunkplease)alancode.net> wrote:

    >Have you heard some of the broader implications though?
    >
    >Like no non-licensed users being able to compile any programs? (All
    >compilers will be protected so you will need to have a registered ID in
    >order to use them)
    >
    >And features such as the remote-disabling of programs.. well...

    Something needs to be done to provide a secure computing
    environment that is protected against rubbishware.

    In the end the market will decide, and if what is available is not
    what people want, someone will make it.

    The US Government does not control the world, and if they
    want to give their businesses an anticompetitive burden, all
    the better for the EU and China.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Alan P

    Alan P Guest

    I have to say I am appalled! I would never have thought I'd see someone
    posting *in favour* of TCPA

    Alan P, Jan 14, 2004
  10. Alan P

    John Guest

    Alan P wrote:

    > I have to say I am appalled! I would never have thought I'd see someone
    > posting *in favour* of TCPA

    Against: I would not ever let it into my home PCs.
    For: I think it is very much necessary in the office.

    my2cts.com
    John
    John, Jan 14, 2004
  11. Alan P

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:27:39 +0000 (UTC), "Alan P"
    <alan@(nojunkplease)alancode.net> wrote:

    >I have to say I am appalled! I would never have thought I'd see someone
    >posting *in favour* of TCPA

    Then you have your head well stuffed up your arse and are
    not interested in what anyone else thinks.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jan 14, 2004
  12. Alan P

    Alan P Guest

    :-|

    Alan P, Jan 15, 2004
  13. Alan P

    Alan Walker Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:27:39 +0000 (UTC), "Alan P"
    > <alan@(nojunkplease)alancode.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I have to say I am appalled! I would never have thought I'd see
    >> someone posting *in favour* of TCPA

    > Then you have your head well stuffed up your arse and are
    > not interested in what anyone else thinks.

    It's desireable, for businesses to have machines that run securely and
    reliably and can be trusted.

    Home users may also want a machine like that and it can't be a bad thing to
    give them the option. The majority of home users are not technically
    skilled and a trusted platform would allow them to feel safer.

    I, however, want to be able to put any bits I choose in my PC, load any
    software I choose, and I don't want anything on my machine giving any
    information about me to any third party without my permission. I refuse to
    allow my PC to become the spy in my home.

    Were such a law to be passed I would take whatever steps were necessary to
    circumvent the controls. I think it's highly unlikely that all the
    processors in the world would be built to the required spec, there would be
    enough demand for 'free' computers to guarantee their availability.

    It's all part of government and business's assumption that they have the
    right to control what we do online, and now in our own homes. Beyond
    protecting kids and the vulnerable, my communications, data and hardware are
    mine, not Microsft's or the US goverments.
    --

    Alan
    Alan Walker, Jan 15, 2004