    If one is timing out (not coming back), you can go to a different tab in
    firefox and see that the web is still working fine.

    Could this be Orcon or our Belkin ADSL modem/router???
    ofn01, Dec 26, 2007

  2. In article <4771fc6f$>, ofn01 did write:

    > But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If
    > you hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

    I have this happen frequently, too. I'm not on Orcon, and I don't have any
    Belkin equipment.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2007

  3. ofn01

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <4771fc6f$>, ofn01 did write:
    >
    >> But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If
    >> you hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

    > I have this happen frequently, too. I'm not on Orcon, and I don't have any
    > Belkin equipment.

    We are on orcon without a belin and it happens so seldom not to be an
    issue realy. My webmail which refreshes every 30 seconds will go to a
    timeout page once every few days and thats about it. I just blamed
    firefox since its clearly not retrying properly to connect if that is
    happening.
    Richard, Dec 26, 2007
  4. ofn01

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 26, 8:20 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In article <>, ofn01 did write:

    > >> But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If
    > >> you hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

    > > I have this happen frequently, too. I'm not on Orcon, and I don't have any
    > > Belkin equipment.

    > We are on orcon without a belin and it happens so seldom not to be an
    > issue realy. My webmail which refreshes every 30 seconds will go to a
    > timeout page once every few days and thats about it. I just blamed
    > firefox since its clearly not retrying properly to connect if that is
    > happening.

    I had similar problems with Firefox and IE, and I could get instantly
    to the same websites with Opera and Mozilla. I never did work out what
    the problem was. My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites,
    so I use Opera first and otherwise IE and just wait.
    Matty F, Dec 27, 2007
  5. In article
    <>, Matty
    F did write:

    > My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites ...

    Why not update to Firefox?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2007
  6. ofn01

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 27, 6:55 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, Matty
    > F did write:
    >
    > > My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites ...

    > Why not update to Firefox?

    As I said, I tried Firefox and it had regular delays of around 30
    seconds. Nobody seemed to be able to help so I uninstalled it. Opera
    works very well most of the time except that Xtra Bubble doesn't
    support anything but Firefox and IE, which may prompt me to go to
    another ISP one day. Xtra please note.
    Matty F, Dec 27, 2007
  7. ofn01

    sam Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Dec 27, 6:55 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>, Matty
    >> F did write:
    >>
    >>> My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites ...

    >> Why not update to Firefox?

    > As I said, I tried Firefox and it had regular delays of around 30
    > seconds. Nobody seemed to be able to help so I uninstalled it. Opera
    > works very well most of the time except that Xtra Bubble doesn't
    > support anything but Firefox and IE, which may prompt me to go to
    > another ISP one day. Xtra please note.

    The delay that you are seeing with firefox may be it because its default
    is to wait until the page is fully loaded before rendering it. Using Ad
    blocker helps, also there are some settings you can tweak.
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=tuning firefox&btnG=Google Search&meta=
    http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/ffconfig.php
    sam, Dec 27, 2007
  8. ofn01

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 28, 8:28 am, sam <> wrote:

    > The delay that you are seeing with firefox may be it because its default
    > is to wait until the page is fully loaded before rendering it. Using Ad
    > blocker helps, also there are some settings you can tweak.http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=e...ww.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/ffconfig.php

    The delay I'm talking about occurs with both Firefox and IE, but never
    occurs with Mozilla and Opera. I've just tried IE again, looking at
    the Herald site. The first three article links loaded fine. After
    clicking on the fourth article, absolutley nothing happened for 28
    seconds, i.e. nothing went to or from the modem, then the page
    suddenly loaded correctly in a couple of seconds.

    I tried it again. This time using IE the 8th Herald article was
    delayed for about 30 seconds. In the meantime using Opera I had
    clicked on that identical article, which finished arriving in a couple
    of seconds. 25 seconds after Opera had finished, the IE version of the
    article arrived.

    So to summarise, using IE or Firefox, every 4th to 8th link that I
    click on (on almost any website) has a delay of around 30 seconds
    before any data transfer occurs at all. Absolutely nothing happens for
    30 seconds. It is not waiting "to fully load the page" because it has
    not even started loading anything at all for 30 seconds.

    This delay problem does not happen at all with Opera and Mozilla 1.5
    so I still use those instead of IE and Firefox. The problem is that
    Xtra in their idiocy have decided that their webmail will only work
    with IE and Firefox and don't seem to be interested in allowing other
    browsers. However I can reconfigure Opera so that it pretends to be
    IE, so all is not lost. But I should not have to do that should I?
    Matty F, Dec 27, 2007
  9. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    > We have a Belkin wired four port ADSL modem/router (connected by ethernet
    > to the computer), this one here:
    > http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=292410
    >
    > We also have Orcon broadband.
    >
    > Only had the setup for a couple of weeks, also only been at this location
    > a couple of weeks. But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If
    > you hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

    For the timebeing I have upgraded to the latest firmware and things seem to
    be going a bit better.

    ofn01, Dec 27, 2007
  10. ofn01

    whoisthis Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Matty F <> wrote:

    > On Dec 27, 6:55 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>, Matty
    > > F did write:
    > >
    > > > My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites ...

    > > Why not update to Firefox?

    > As I said, I tried Firefox and it had regular delays of around 30
    > seconds. Nobody seemed to be able to help so I uninstalled it. Opera
    > works very well most of the time except that Xtra Bubble doesn't
    > support anything but Firefox and IE, which may prompt me to go to
    > another ISP one day. Xtra please note.

    Xtra bubble DOES work with other browsers, I use Safari under OSX all of
    the time. You just need to get you browser to lie and say it is IE for
    the first time, then simply ignore the warning after that.
    whoisthis, Dec 27, 2007
  11. In article <4773fcfb$>, sam did write:

    > The delay that you are seeing with firefox may be it because its default
    > is to wait until the page is fully loaded before rendering it.

    I'm not aware of any such default behaviour. Certainly I regularly see pages
    with ads, sidebars etc appearing first, followed later by the body text I
    was actually wanting to read. And I've never set any configuration option
    that might have had a bearing on this.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2007
  12. ofn01

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 28, 10:24 am, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >  Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 27, 6:55 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>, Matty
    > > > F did write:

    > > > Why not update to Firefox?

    > > As I said, I tried Firefox and it had regular delays of around 30
    > > seconds. Nobody seemed to be able to help so I uninstalled it. Opera
    > > works very well most of the time except that Xtra Bubble doesn't
    > > support anything but Firefox and IE, which may prompt me to go to
    > > another ISP one day. Xtra please note.

    > Xtra bubble DOES work with other browsers, I use Safari under OSX all of
    > the time. You just need to get you browser to lie and say it is IE for
    > the first time, then simply ignore the warning after that.

    Why should anyone have to do that? Browsers other than IE and Firefox
    are clearly working just fine, apart from Xtra's dislike of anything
    else. Xtra management have been poorly advised by their "technical
    advisors" in restricting the browsers that are able to use their
    sites.
    Matty F, Dec 28, 2007
  13. ofn01

    whoisthis Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Matty F <> wrote:

    > On Dec 28, 10:24 am, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >  Matty F <> wrote:

    > > > As I said, I tried Firefox and it had regular delays of around 30
    > > > seconds. Nobody seemed to be able to help so I uninstalled it. Opera
    > > > works very well most of the time except that Xtra Bubble doesn't
    > > > support anything but Firefox and IE, which may prompt me to go to
    > > > another ISP one day. Xtra please note.

    > > Xtra bubble DOES work with other browsers, I use Safari under OSX all of
    > > the time. You just need to get you browser to lie and say it is IE for
    > > the first time, then simply ignore the warning after that.

    > Why should anyone have to do that? Browsers other than IE and Firefox
    > are clearly working just fine, apart from Xtra's dislike of anything
    > else. Xtra management have been poorly advised by their "technical
    > advisors" in restricting the browsers that are able to use their
    > sites.

    Is it Xtra or yahoo who are actually running it ?
    Either way who cares, it simply works anyway.
    whoisthis, Dec 28, 2007
  14. ofn01

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    >> Xtra bubble DOES work with other browsers, I use Safari under OSX all of
    >> the time. You just need to get you browser to lie and say it is IE for
    >> the first time, then simply ignore the warning after that.

    > Why should anyone have to do that? Browsers other than IE and Firefox
    > are clearly working just fine, apart from Xtra's dislike of anything
    > else. Xtra management have been poorly advised by their "technical
    > advisors" in restricting the browsers that are able to use their
    > sites.

    Because they have not tested it, so when someone comes along and finds
    that some script to select some emails and not others and delete them
    does the opposite of what it should of because of incompatibilities they
    can say told you so and have less support issues.
    Richard, Dec 28, 2007