Request for suggestions re web/email hosting...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Divine, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. Divine

    Divine Guest

    Hi, y'all..

    I'm at the thinking-about-it stage of getting a website/email-server of
    my own to use a recently aquired domain name, instead of using the "free"
    website hosting options offered by many ISPs.

    I want to be able to have one website with MySQL/PHP, and
    multiple/unlimited email addresses, and to be able to have multiple
    sub-domains - you know, one for pop3, one for smtp, one for www, etc.

    I want it to be relatively inexpensive - it's not going to be a commercial
    operation - just for me and my family and friends.

    What options would you recomend? I ve seen something like what I'm
    interested in for only a very cheap $US1/month - but it was based in the
    USA. I would prefer a NZ based host if the price was right and the
    facilities good enough.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanking you...

    Divine

    --
    Haiku

    Nostalgia forgets
    The reasons things and places
    Past were left behind

    (C) Barbara Taylor - April 1995 (used with permission)

    Divine, Jun 12, 2004

    Have a look at www.webbase.co.nz

    Julia Williams, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Divine

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:46:20 +1200, Julia Williams wrote:

    >> I'm at the thinking-about-it stage of getting a website/email-server of
    >> my own to use a recently aquired domain name, instead of using the "free"
    >> website hosting options offered by many ISPs.
    >>
    >> I want to be able to have one website with MySQL/PHP, and
    >> multiple/unlimited email addresses, and to be able to have multiple
    >> sub-domains - you know, one for pop3, one for smtp, one for www, etc.

    > Have a look at www.webbase.co.nz

    Thanks - that looks very good - has the right features, and also the price
    is about what I want to pay.

    Now for a forage into hitherto uncharted terratory...

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, Jun 12, 2004
  4. In article <pan.2004.06.12.11.30.46.40150@TRACKER>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:46:20 +1200, Julia Williams wrote:
    >
    > >> I'm at the thinking-about-it stage of getting a website/email-server of
    > >> my own to use a recently aquired domain name, instead of using the "free"
    > >> website hosting options offered by many ISPs.
    > >>
    > >> I want to be able to have one website with MySQL/PHP, and
    > >> multiple/unlimited email addresses, and to be able to have multiple
    > >> sub-domains - you know, one for pop3, one for smtp, one for www, etc.

    > > Have a look at www.webbase.co.nz

    > Thanks - that looks very good - has the right features, and also the price
    > is about what I want to pay.
    >
    > Now for a forage into hitherto uncharted terratory...

    foray I think...

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Divine

    Matthew Guest

    > Have a look at www.webbase.co.nz

    Yuck, i'd stay away from them

    "No traffic limits" -Yeh right.

    "Does not apply to high traffic websites. If your site is likely to use more
    than 10GB of traffic per month please contact us for a quote."

    .....so why advertise as "NO LIMITS" when there clearly are limits?

    Matthew, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Divine

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:10:58 +1200, Matthew wrote:

    >> Have a look at www.webbase.co.nz

    > Yuck, i'd stay away from them
    >
    > "No traffic limits" -Yeh right.

    How often is a smallish personal website likely to go over 10gigs/month?

    I haven't seen any other NZ based host providing unlimited email and web
    hosting here in NZ for $5.95 + GST per month. The price is vaguely similar
    to one that I saw offered in the USA - for $US1/month - and that USA one
    had 200gigs of disc space with it!

    This one has 20 gigs of space, and all the services I want to eventually
    make use of. I will sign up for 3 months and see how it goes. I can always
    relocate or close altogether the website if I need to do so. I am keeping
    my domain name hosted elseware, and if needs be the email can easily
    follow me.

    Divine

    Divine, Jun 13, 2004
  7. Divine

    Alan Chiew Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Have a look at www.webbase.co.nz

    I think you will find, this is a US-based server.

    Alan Chiew, Jun 16, 2004
  8. Divine

    Divine Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:05:28 +1200, Alan Chiew wrote:

    >>Have a look at www.webbase.co.nz

    > I think you will find, this is a US-based server.

    Which could explain it's very reasonable price.

    Divine

    --
    "Outlook is the security equivalent of wearing condoms with the ends cut
    off - for greater comfort and ease of use."

    Divine, Jun 16, 2004