Request for Suggestions for Computer Protection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bluejudy, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. bluejudy

    bluejudy Guest

    Hello.

    I wonder whether some of you experts would mind composing a list on
    this thread of your favourite protection programs. I would like to
    assemble a toolkit to post on my website.

    I use Norton, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot, and Registry Mechanic.

    An acquaintance of mine who is a sysop for a school system swears by
    F-Prot for home computers and, after reading about rootkit on here, I
    am tempted to purchase F-Secure's Blacklight program. Do any of you
    use it?

    My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
    the prevailing attitude among experts?

    Any information that you provide will be placed on a website for
    student medical transcriptionists. The HIPAA regulations make it
    mandatory for MT who work as independent contractors to secure client
    files.

    I shall be grateful for any advice.

    Judy

    bluejudy, Nov 13, 2005

  2. bluejudy wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I wonder whether some of you experts would mind composing a list on
    > this thread of your favourite protection programs. I would like to
    > assemble a toolkit to post on my website.
    >
    > I use Norton, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot, and Registry Mechanic.
    >
    > An acquaintance of mine who is a sysop for a school system swears by
    > F-Prot for home computers and, after reading about rootkit on here, I
    > am tempted to purchase F-Secure's Blacklight program. Do any of you
    > use it?
    >
    > My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
    > the prevailing attitude among experts?
    >
    > Any information that you provide will be placed on a website for
    > student medical transcriptionists. The HIPAA regulations make it
    > mandatory for MT who work as independent contractors to secure client
    > files.
    >
    > I shall be grateful for any advice.

    ANTIVIRUS
    1st choice (30 days free, about $35-40 after) Kaspersky
    2nd choice NOD32 (not free)
    3rd choice Avast (free)
    From time to time do a free "online" scan with Trend Housecall or Panda
    Activescan. Kaspersky now also offers a free online scan.

    ANTISPYWARE
    MS Antispyware (free)
    Spybot Search and Destroy (free)
    Lavasoft Adaware (free)
    Webroot Spysweeper (free 30 day trial, about $30 afterwards)

    Then there's a ton of others to bring into play if a problem crops up.
    Notably HiJackThis and individual solutions for different types of
    viruses and spyware, such as CWShredder.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 13, 2005

  3. bluejudy

    Buffalo Guest

    "bluejudy" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I wonder whether some of you experts would mind composing a list on
    > this thread of your favourite protection programs. I would like to
    > assemble a toolkit to post on my website.
    >
    > I use Norton, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot, and Registry Mechanic.

    Another good free one is SpyWareBlaster. It prevents much spyware from ever
    getting on your computer.

    > An acquaintance of mine who is a sysop for a school system swears by
    > F-Prot for home computers and, after reading about rootkit on here, I
    > am tempted to purchase F-Secure's Blacklight program. Do any of you
    > use it?
    >
    > My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
    > the prevailing attitude among experts?

    Well, Avast uses less resources than Norton, but its detection rate is never as
    high overall as Norton.
    Have your tech look up independent anti-virus program comparisons on the web.

    Buffalo, Nov 13, 2005
  4. bluejudy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "bluejudy" <> wrote in news:1131891731.854321.303060
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I wonder whether some of you experts would mind composing a list on
    > this thread of your favourite protection programs. I would like to
    > assemble a toolkit to post on my website.
    >
    > I use Norton, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot, and Registry Mechanic.

    Snake-oil with the spy protection as malware can circumvent and defeat
    it. That kind of program technology is always a dime short and a dollar
    late to zero day exploits. Malware can knock out Norton and ZA to if it
    hits the machine and can execute.

    > An acquaintance of mine who is a sysop for a school system swears by
    > F-Prot for home computers and, after reading about rootkit on here, I
    > am tempted to purchase F-Secure's Blacklight program. Do any of you
    > use it?

    A job I worked at used F-Secure on their workstation. F-Secure was knoced
    out of the box and disabled on the machines on a routine basis by
    malware. They went to Norton.

    > My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
    > the prevailing attitude among experts?

    I consider NOD32 to be the best.

    > Any information that you provide will be placed on a website for
    > student medical transcriptionists. The HIPAA regulations make it
    > mandatory for MT who work as independent contractors to secure client
    > files.
    >
    > I shall be grateful for any advice.

    You should have them go to the O/S and harden it to attack as much as
    possible.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    There is a link for Win 2K too. If it's Win 9'x or me, they are out of
    luck.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 13, 2005
  5. bluejudy

    bluejudy Guest

    Thank you so much :) You have no idea how much I appreciate your
    advice.

    bluejudy, Nov 14, 2005
  6. bluejudy

    Plato Guest

    bluejudy wrote:

    > My computer tech says that Avast is far superior to Norton. Is this
    > the prevailing attitude among experts?

    No, avast is not far superior to norton anti-virus. Avast is simply,
    another anti-virus program. More or less equal in effectiveness.

    The advantage of avast over norton is a much smaller footprint in
    windows, and way less registry entires.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 14, 2005
  7. bluejudy

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-13, bluejudy <> wrote:

    snip

    > I shall be grateful for any advice.

    Stop using Windows :))

    (Well, someone had to say it ...).

    Seriously, anyone connected to the internet on 'broadband' should consider
    putting a "router" between their own computer(s) and the "modem". (Many DSL
    "modems" incorporate "routers" anyway).

    Whatever software or operating system you use, make sure that you keep up to
    date with 'security patches' and 'bug-fixes'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 14, 2005
  8. bluejudy

    bluejudy Guest

    I live in the fishstix. We have yet to get DSL here. I shall probably
    be back to pick brains about that on a personal level if ever we do get
    that service.

    Again, thank you for the information. I shall compile it for the
    tipsheet on the website.

    Judy

    bluejudy, Nov 14, 2005
  9. bluejudy

    JPB Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2005-11-13, bluejudy <> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> I shall be grateful for any advice.

    > Stop using Windows :))

    Highly recommended, a policy I instituted many moons ago for our household
    and have never regretted :)

    > Seriously, anyone connected to the internet on 'broadband' should consider
    > putting a "router" between their own computer(s) and the "modem". (Many
    > DSL "modems" incorporate "routers" anyway).

    And another good idea, though I confess it is one I have not carried through
    myself as yet.

    --
    JPB

    JPB, Nov 14, 2005