Request for feedback on article

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Ok, I might be opening myself up for trouble here, but here goes.

    I've contributed a couple of comments here and there about some of the
    career and networking steps folks could take for themselves in spite of the
    general economy. It's tough to get started in any career, and right now IT
    just ain't fun.

    Well, I've written Part I of a two-part article that will be published in
    the newsletter of the Greater Cleveland PC Users Group (I'm Prez there).
    It's on this page of my web site (a lame site, to be sure):
    http://www.rlcoppedge.com/GCPCUGArticles.htm. It's a draft, so excuse any
    typos or obvious blunders (but point them out, please<g>).

    The first part deals with some of the reasons the IT biz is what it is. I'd
    like to get some feedback from people that I can use in the article,
    approaches that they find work, or don't work.

    Um, the feedback pays as well as me writing the article in the first place -
    squat. But I'd like to put together something that might be useful for
    folks just entering into the IT biz.

    Anywho, take a look, and I'd appreciate any feedback.
    --
    RL (Author, Author!) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
    NorthEast Ohio
    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT, Jun 8, 2004

  2. RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT wrote:
    > Ok, I might be opening myself up for trouble here, but here goes.
    >
    > Anywho, take a look, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

    Nice read, Bob. I'm anxious to see how you address the "We can't hire you
    because you have no experience and you can't get experience because we won't
    hire you" issue. This is a common thread in the cert NG's.

    You also touch on how when you get 150 vs. 15 resume's the applicant are
    lucky to get a 30-second gloss-over. When you are in that situation,
    perhaps you could provide some feedback from an employer's POV on what
    catches your eye the most on a resume, and what causes you to skip over the
    others.

    --
    Fris "I wonder if I was one of those 150" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    Certaholics
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jun 8, 2004

  3. RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT

    Consultant Guest

    oh yeah, well, im president of the hair club for men

    Consultant, Jun 8, 2004
  4. RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT

    Jtyc Guest

    > in spite of the
    > general economy.

    *sigh*
    Jtyc, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Hey, I'm not only Prez, I'm a member!

    --
    RL (Hairy) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
    NorthEast Ohio

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT, Jun 9, 2004
  6. >Nice read, Bob. I'm anxious to see how you address the "We can't hire you
    >because you have no experience and you can't get experience because we won't
    >hire you" issue. This is a common thread in the cert NG's.

    .... and has always been the case in IT.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 9, 2004
  7. That's definitely going to be part of the second article. I don't have all
    the answers (who does?) but I've never seen in writing a concise definition
    of the problem.

    Plus I think that most jobs are given before the ads get put up. I'm going
    to talk more about the proactive steps that folks could/should (IMHO) take.

    thanks for the feedback
    --
    RL (whatdoIknow) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
    NorthEast Ohio

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT, Jun 10, 2004
  8. RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT

    Rick Guest

    Very good article. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

    After finishing my Associates degree I moved through 2 jobs and at the 3rd I
    went back to school for a second AS degree. I moved on to manage a 1 man IS
    shop and persue professional certification. I am now on job number 5 and
    working on upgrading from a 2000 MCSE to 2003 and taking Cisco test. I would
    love to contribute some of my experiences especially about BS degress VS
    experience.

    Rick

    Rick, Jun 10, 2004