    converted to DVD or has an ISO copy that I can download? All other copies
    I've seen are poor VHS quality, the Laser Disk is very close to DVD quality
    and the Japanese version is NTSC. Thanks.
    Stuff, Sep 29, 2003

  2. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:04:41 GMT, "Stuff" <> wrote:

    >In Japan Song of the South was released on Laser Disk. Does anyone have this
    >converted to DVD or has an ISO copy that I can download? All other copies
    >I've seen are poor VHS quality, the Laser Disk is very close to DVD quality
    >and the Japanese version is NTSC. Thanks.

    Don't "Turn On" the copyright anal-bashers in this newsgroup. SOTS is
    posted repeatedly in the movie groups. The best quality one is a
    really poor DVD-r to SVCD direct from the Laser.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 29, 2003

  3. Stuff

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > >In Japan Song of the South was released on Laser Disk. Does anyone have
    this
    > >converted to DVD or has an ISO copy that I can download? All other copies
    > >I've seen are poor VHS quality, the Laser Disk is very close to DVD

    quality
    > >and the Japanese version is NTSC. Thanks.
    > >

    > Don't "Turn On" the copyright anal-bashers in this newsgroup. SOTS is
    > posted repeatedly in the movie groups. The best quality one is a
    > really poor DVD-r to SVCD direct from the Laser.

    Disney is intentionally withholding SOTS in the United States. I know
    lawyers and extremely upstanding people would object, but it seems most
    rational people would concede that if no sales are lost on "pirating" an
    unavailable product and you're not in turn trying to make money off of it,
    then it's no harm, no foul.

    Ethics. It's what's for dinner.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Sep 30, 2003
  4. in article , Steve(JazzHunter) at
    wrote on 9/29/03 3:20 PM:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:04:41 GMT, "Stuff" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In Japan Song of the South was released on Laser Disk. Does anyone have this
    >> converted to DVD or has an ISO copy that I can download? All other copies
    >> I've seen are poor VHS quality, the Laser Disk is very close to DVD quality
    >> and the Japanese version is NTSC. Thanks.
    >>

    > Don't "Turn On" the copyright anal-bashers in this newsgroup. SOTS is
    > posted repeatedly in the movie groups. The best quality one is a
    > really poor DVD-r to SVCD direct from the Laser.
    >
    > . Steve .

    I made a DVD copy directly from the Laserdisk, but the LD really isn't very
    high quality to begin with. I won't be able to seed the copy for a while,
    but expect to see a high(er) quality DVD transfer making the rounds.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Sep 30, 2003
  5. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:20:21 -0700, "Mike Jackson"
    <> wrote:

    >> >In Japan Song of the South was released on Laser Disk. Does anyone have

    >this
    >> >converted to DVD or has an ISO copy that I can download? All other copies
    >> >I've seen are poor VHS quality, the Laser Disk is very close to DVD

    >quality
    >> >and the Japanese version is NTSC. Thanks.
    >> >

    >> Don't "Turn On" the copyright anal-bashers in this newsgroup. SOTS is
    >> posted repeatedly in the movie groups. The best quality one is a
    >> really poor DVD-r to SVCD direct from the Laser.

    >Disney is intentionally withholding SOTS in the United States. I know
    >lawyers and extremely upstanding people would object, but it seems most
    >rational people would concede that if no sales are lost on "pirating" an
    >unavailable product and you're not in turn trying to make money off of it,
    >then it's no harm, no foul.

    Yes, I agree 100%. I wouldn't change anything you say. It's just the
    three or four people with mental issues that haunt this newsgroup and
    make it such an unpleasant place that will find something wrong with
    that. That's why I gently suggested that Stuff should ask about SOTS
    elsewhere, so the trap isn't baited again.. :eek:)

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 30, 2003
  6. Stuff

    Doonie Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:53:21 -0400, Steve (JazzHunter) wrote:

    >Yes, I agree 100%. I wouldn't change anything you say. It's just the
    >three or four people with mental issues that haunt this newsgroup and
    >make it such an unpleasant place that will find something wrong with
    >that.

    Bet those people never drive 1 km/h over the speed limit, eh? :)
    Doonie, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Stuff

    Paul Guest

    I've had the Japanese LD since 1985 and recall it is a great view.
    Unfortunately, my LD player has long ago gone bad and have found none to
    replace it (or a way to fix it). As a result, I've not been able to see the
    movie in 18 years. I have quite a few released-in-Japan-only LD's that are
    suffering the same fate -- not been played in 18 years.

    Paul, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Stuff

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > I've had the Japanese LD since 1985 and recall it is a great view.
    > Unfortunately, my LD player has long ago gone bad and have found none

    > replace it (or a way to fix it).

    If it's a Pioneer model, this service center might be able to help you.

    www.laserdiscservice.com
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 30, 2003
  9. Stuff

    Russell Guest

    As a youth, Song of the South was one of my favorites. I've been
    wanting a copy for a long time. I had heard that the original
    was available from Japan on LD, but was unable to locate it. I
    also heard that Disney had made many cuts to it for *political
    correctness* in the USA distribution.

    Russell, Sep 30, 2003
  10. On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:06:33 GMT, Doonie
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:53:21 -0400, Steve (JazzHunter) wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, I agree 100%. I wouldn't change anything you say. It's just the
    >>three or four people with mental issues that haunt this newsgroup and
    >>make it such an unpleasant place that will find something wrong with
    >>that.

    > Bet those people never drive 1 km/h over the speed limit, eh? :)

    Why side with the wealthy corporations rather than develop a kinship
    with fellow man? These few people must be unpleasant socially.

    .Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 30, 2003
  11. Russell wrote:
    > As a youth, Song of the South was one of my favorites. I've been wanting
    > a copy for a long time. I had heard that the original was available from
    > Japan on LD, but was unable to locate it. I also heard that Disney had
    > made many cuts to it for *political correctness* in the USA distribution.

    No, they only made one cut. It starts just before the opening and ends
    just after the final credits.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.
    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 30, 2003
  12. Stuff

    gardibolt Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message news:<blaf0n$65i$>...
    > > >In Japan Song of the South was released on Laser Disk. Does anyone have

    > this
    > > >converted to DVD or has an ISO copy that I can download? All other copies
    > > >I've seen are poor VHS quality, the Laser Disk is very close to DVD

    > quality
    > > >and the Japanese version is NTSC. Thanks.
    > > >

    > > Don't "Turn On" the copyright anal-bashers in this newsgroup. SOTS is
    > > posted repeatedly in the movie groups. The best quality one is a
    > > really poor DVD-r to SVCD direct from the Laser.

    > Disney is intentionally withholding SOTS in the United States. I know
    > lawyers and extremely upstanding people would object, but it seems most
    > rational people would concede that if no sales are lost on "pirating" an
    > unavailable product and you're not in turn trying to make money off of it,
    > then it's no harm, no foul.
    >
    > Ethics. It's what's for dinner.
    >
    > Mike Jackson
    > Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    > www.dvdverdict.com

    But Mike, it's far more complicated than that. There are tons of
    movies that haven't been released. But supporting bootlegging on the
    principle that something hasn't been released means that it's much
    less likely that the legitimate and high-quality material will be
    released by the rights owners since a big chunk of the potential
    market will already be satisfied. A graphic example of this is seen
    in this thread, where a potential legal DVD of cult favorite Mill of
    the Stone Women is at least on the back burner if not off the table
    entirely, due to a bootlegging of the film by Alpha.
    http://www.mhvf.net/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi/forum/euro/?cmd=follow&fu=42966&zu=42966&scat=&upldcnt=2

    (watch for wrap). I should think that as a DVD reviewer you'd be
    interested in high quality DVDs being available--and encouraging
    bootlegging is hardly the way to have that happen. I fail to see how
    "no sales are lost" as a result of bootlegging, since you can't see
    the future of what will be released--or might have been, had the
    market not already been filled by the boots.

    Now, I can see a different argument under SOTS where it appears to be
    intentionally suppressed, but I might add that there has never
    actually been any statement from Disney to that effect. They just
    haven't released it. Maybe Maltin can still convince them otherwise,
    as part of the more expensive and limited release Treasures set, so my
    argument above against bootlegging still holds true.

    I suppose I should add that I don't have any particular fondness for
    Disney myself, and certainly am not a Disney operative. I just don't
    want to see good high quality DVDs driven out of the marketplace by
    shoddy pirate versions.

    Mark
    gardibolt, Sep 30, 2003
  13. Stuff

    Jeffy3 Guest

    "Stuff" <> wrote in message news:<tf0eb.4918$>...
    > In Japan Song of the South was released on Laser Disk. Does anyone have this
    > converted to DVD or has an ISO copy that I can download? All other copies
    > I've seen are poor VHS quality, the Laser Disk is very close to DVD quality
    > and the Japanese version is NTSC. Thanks.

    I saw plenty of dvds at a recent collectibles convention.
    Jeffy3, Sep 30, 2003