    problem I can reimage the
    drive and away I go.

    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Jeremy

    Dorado Guest

    Re: software for Imaging or backup over a network.

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton Ghost
    > that will allow me to
    > backup clients on the network to the server. So that if any suffers a
    > problem I can reimage the
    > drive and away I go.
    >
    > Jeremy

    Are you looking for alternatives to Ghost? because ghost can do that.
    Dorado, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Jeremy

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:53 +1300, "Jeremy" <> had
    this to say:

    >Hi All
    >
    >Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton Ghost that
    >will allow me to
    >backup clients on the network to the server. So that if any suffers a
    >problem I can reimage the
    >drive and away I go.

    Norton Ghost, actually.

    The latest version supports on-the-fly backups.
    Gurble, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Thanks Guyz

    I was not aware of Ghost 9, I have ver 2003, and it hates my sata drive and
    the rebooting is a pain

    Cheers

    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Dec 14, 2004
  5. In article <cpm6tb$80n$>, says...
    > Thanks Guyz
    >
    > I was not aware of Ghost 9, I have ver 2003, and it hates my sata drive and
    > the rebooting is a pain
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Jeremy

    The latest Nero has a backup component that will either back up files or
    make a drive image. Will burn to cd, dvd, (has disk-spanning!) or to
    hard drive.
    I haven't tried using a network drive as source, through.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Jeremy

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:53 +1300, "Jeremy" <> wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    > Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton
    > Ghost that will allow me to backup clients on the network to the server.
    > So that if any suffers a problem I can reimage the drive and away I go.

    Um. Got a fast network have you? Re-imaging over a network could take
    a long time and bring everything else to a halt. Especially if you
    have old switches/hubs/routers around.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html
    Enkidu, Dec 14, 2004
  7. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Hi guys went with true image 8, I only have to image 3 comps c drives 60gig
    total to a 200gig mapped drive, through 100mb network, takes 1.5hrs on Max
    compression and can be scheduled to happen overnight, I read some nasty
    reviews on ghost 9 with sata drives,

    Thanks for all input.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 15, 2004
  8. Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 15, 2004
  9. Jeremy wrote:
    > Hi guys went with true image 8, I only have to image 3 comps c drives 60gig
    > total to a 200gig mapped drive, through 100mb network, takes 1.5hrs on Max
    > compression and can be scheduled to happen overnight, I read some nasty
    > reviews on ghost 9 with sata drives,

    I'm guessing that this is for the full image, not an incremental?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 15, 2004
  11. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    > Jeremy wrote:
    > > Hi guys went with true image 8, I only have to image 3 comps c drives

    60gig
    > > total to a 200gig mapped drive, through 100mb network, takes 1.5hrs on

    Max
    > > compression and can be scheduled to happen overnight, I read some nasty
    > > reviews on ghost 9 with sata drives,

    > I'm guessing that this is for the full image, not an incremental?

    Hi Dave

    Thats correct, Incremental will be coming with the scheduled backups.

    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Dec 15, 2004
  12. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Jeremy, Dec 15, 2004
  13. Jeremy said the following on 15/12/2004 3:27 p.m.:
    > Hi guys went with true image 8, I only have to image 3 comps c drives 60gig
    > total to a 200gig mapped drive, through 100mb network, takes 1.5hrs on Max
    > compression and can be scheduled to happen overnight, I read some nasty
    > reviews on ghost 9 with sata drives,

    We used ghost images (about 10 different ones) when we did a Y2K upgrade
    roll out at a 200 seat company. We were loading the images over the network.
    Got to the stage that during the several days of roil over (several
    divs. with different roll over dates) we got asked not to come in, three
    of us suck 3 images each (9 at a time) knocked the network performance
    severely. Backing off the old machines (people with 100 meg PSTs and 100
    meg my docs dirs) was the real hit on the network, but the images didnt
    help.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 15, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 15, 2004
  15. Jeremy

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 15 Dec
    2004 16:41:41 +1300, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Collector=BBNZ?=
    <> says...
    > Jeremy said the following on 15/12/2004 3:27 p.m.:
    > > Hi guys went with true image 8, I only have to image 3 comps c drives 60gig
    > > total to a 200gig mapped drive, through 100mb network, takes 1.5hrs on Max
    > > compression and can be scheduled to happen overnight, I read some nasty
    > > reviews on ghost 9 with sata drives,
    > >

    > We used ghost images (about 10 different ones) when we did a Y2K upgrade
    > roll out at a 200 seat company. We were loading the images over the network.
    > Got to the stage that during the several days of roil over (several
    > divs. with different roll over dates) we got asked not to come in, three
    > of us suck 3 images each (9 at a time) knocked the network performance
    > severely. Backing off the old machines (people with 100 meg PSTs and 100
    > meg my docs dirs) was the real hit on the network, but the images didnt
    > help.

    I think ghost uses broadcast packets for multicasting, these really seem
    to slow down the network when they are being sent out by the multicast
    server to workstations, another thing with multicast is the speed is
    effectively limited by the slowest machine (as I undersyand it)
    Adder, Dec 15, 2004
  16. Jeremy

    Adder, Dec 15, 2004