REQ: Newbie need Help HowTo Get USB v2.0 on MOB with v1.0 only

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Snoopy :-)), Jan 11, 2008.

  1. Snoopy :-))

    Snoopy :-)) Guest

    Hi
    I am somwhat of a newbie and need a bit of hand holding

    I have an Asus MOB (A7V266-E)
    I just bought an External HD (USB v2.0)
    Then noticed that the BIOS only support USB v1.0 , which is very
    slow.

    Can I get a USB v2.0 support for this Motherboard ??
    If so then what is the best way. ??
    Do I ned to
    a. Upgrade the BIOS
    b. get a USB Controller Card

    I would very much appreciate some help regarding this problem and
    solution.

    TIA
    Best regards
    Snoopy
    Snoopy :-)), Jan 11, 2008

  2. Snoopy :-))

    JohnO Guest

    Re: Newbie need Help HowTo Get USB v2.0 on MOB with v1.0 only

    > Can I get a USB v2.0 support for this Motherboard ??

    > b. get a USB Controller Card

    This, or a new motherboard are your options.

    -John O
    JohnO, Jan 11, 2008

  3. Snoopy :-))

    Snoopy :-)) Guest

    Re: Newbie need Help HowTo Get USB v2.0 on MOB with v1.0 only

    Thank you for the quick reply
    So I guess the leas expensive would be a Controller card.
    One more question
    With a New Controller card; Do I need to upgrade the BIOS as well ??

    Tjanks again
    Snoppy

    Snoopy :-)), Jan 11, 2008
  4. Re: Newbie need Help HowTo Get USB v2.0 on MOB with v1.0 only

    Nope. I've done this on several units. Usually I pick up a USB 2.0 and
    Firewire Combo PCI card that has 3 of the former and two of the latter
    receptacles.

    in Technicolor®, Jan 11, 2008
  5. Snoopy :-))

    Snoopy :-)) Guest

    Re: Newbie need Help HowTo Get USB v2.0 on MOB with v1.0 only

    Thanks again for the help

    Snoopy :-)), Jan 12, 2008
  6. Snoopy :-))

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Re: Newbie need Help HowTo Get USB v2.0 on MOB with v1.0only

    I can verify this advice.

    I'm using a 2001 box that has a number of limitations
    by todays standards. One of them is slow onboard USB.
    I added a USB controller card and it worked. There is
    no BIOS involvement. I also worked around a 137 GB
    hard drive addressing limitation by adding an IDE
    controller card. Again, no BIOS involvement. I also
    used an overlay in order to overcome the 137 GB limit
    while still using an onboard IDE controller. My box
    has two hard drives; a 320 GB and a 400 GB. Each is
    set up with two volumes and cross backed (each backs
    up the other). One is on the controller card and one
    is on one of the onboard IDE controllers. The other
    onboard IDE controller handles the optical drives (a
    newer and an older combo (CD/DVD) drive).

    One thing I should mention is that the addition of the
    USB card wasn't all that satisfying. I did it because
    I bought a Creative Labs MP3 player/flash drive.
    Dumping music to the mp3 player was horribly slow with
    the onboard USB, but it didn't become blisteringly fast
    after adding the USB card. It's faster, but nothing even
    close to what the latest USB specification promises.
    I imagine the mp3 players flash memory is the bottleneck,
    but my point is not to get your hopes up.

    Bill Eitner, Jan 13, 2008
  7. Snoopy :-))

    Steve Guest

    On Jan 12, 11:51 pm, Bill Eitner <> wrote:
    > I can verify this advice.
    >
    > I'm using a 2001 box that has a number of limitations
    > by todays standards. One of them is slow onboard USB.
    > I added a USB controller card and it worked. There is
    > no BIOS involvement. I also worked around a 137 GB
    > hard drive addressing limitation by adding an IDE
    > controller card. Again, no BIOS involvement. I also
    > used an overlay in order to overcome the 137 GB limit
    > while still using an onboard IDE controller. My box
    > has two hard drives; a 320 GB and a 400 GB. Each is
    > set up with two volumes and cross backed (each backs
    > up the other). One is on the controller card and one
    > is on one of the onboard IDE controllers. The other
    > onboard IDE controller handles the optical drives (a
    > newer and an older combo (CD/DVD) drive).
    >
    > One thing I should mention is that the addition of the
    > USB card wasn't all that satisfying. I did it because
    > I bought a Creative Labs MP3 player/flash drive.
    > Dumping music to the mp3 player was horribly slow with
    > the onboard USB, but it didn't become blisteringly fast
    > after adding the USB card. It's faster, but nothing even
    > close to what the latest USB specification promises.
    > I imagine the mp3 players flash memory is the bottleneck,
    > but my point is not to get your hopes up.
    > --
    >
    > Snoopy :)) wrote:
    > > Thanks again for the help

    > >> Nope. I've done this on several units. Usually I pick up a USB 2.0 and
    > >> Firewire Combo PCI card that has 3 of the former and two of the latter
    > >> receptacles.

    > >> "Snoopy :))" <> wrote in message

    Hi, Snoopy,
    I have an older computer too, which I built myself (actually, I
    used two older self-builts; the oldest, I built in 2000). I got around
    the 137GB limit by going to the Mother Board manufacturer's web site
    and getting the BIOS patch they had available for my board. It was
    quick, easy to install, and I didn't have to mess with overlays, which
    can cause problems down the road. I currently have two hard drives in
    that computer, an 80BG with the OS, and a 320GB, set up with one
    partition the full size of the drive, for data storage. Updating your
    BIOS is a good idea, as the patch usually contains fixes/updates for
    problems they may have discovered AFTER your MoBo was shipped. The
    manufacturer will have complete instructions for installing the patch
    on their web site. Even with a brand new MoBo, it's always good to
    check for BIOS patches/updates. It's simply part of your A+ tech
    duties. As far as the USB snapin card, I haven't used one, so I can't
    tell you anything new about them.

    Cheers,

    Steve
    Steve, Jan 13, 2008
  8. Re: REQ: Newbie need Help HowTo Get USB v2.0 on MOB withv1.0 only

    Snoopy :)) wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am somwhat of a newbie and need a bit of hand holding
    >
    > I have an Asus MOB (A7V266-E)
    > I just bought an External HD (USB v2.0)
    > Then noticed that the BIOS only support USB v1.0 , which is very
    > slow.
    >
    > Can I get a USB v2.0 support for this Motherboard ??
    > If so then what is the best way. ??
    > Do I ned to
    > a. Upgrade the BIOS
    > b. get a USB Controller Card
    >
    > I would very much appreciate some help regarding this problem and
    > solution.
    >
    > TIA
    > Best regards
    > Snoopy

    Testing posting from Thunderbird, thanks
    Edward A. Weissbard, Jan 15, 2008