REQ: Help with pc lock up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Scrubs, Nov 5, 2006.

  1. Scrubs

    Scrubs Guest

    Hello, I recently bought a used computer (all sales final) that has what
    appears to me,to be a ramdom lock up problem.Some days it will lock up
    every 5 to 10 minutes, other days it can run for days without locking
    up.The only definate lockup cause I have found is if I use a USB flash
    drive,after removing it (using the os to stop/shut it off) the pc would
    lock up. The most recent lockup was today, the pc was running since
    Sat.AM (11/04/06) until today Sunday AM(11/05/06). Between the lockup I
    have played games, gone online, ect. then right in the middle of writing
    out an email, bang! lock up. I have tried reinstalling the os, I have
    even taken the time to, one at a time remove each memory stick and test
    each one in each bank to try to see if I had a bad stick, each one ran
    fine. I have no idea how to fix this lock up problem. any help will be
    greatly appreciated. sorry for the lengthy post, just trying to give as
    much info as possible. with that said, below you will see my system info
    as taken from a SiSoftware Sandra report. Once again thanks for any
    help.
    scrubs

    SiSoftware Sandra

    System
    Host Name : XXXX-XXXXXXX
    User : Administrator
    Workgroup : WORKGROUP

    Processor
    Model : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
    Speed : 850MHz
    Model Number : 850 (estimated)
    Performance Rating : PR1131 (estimated)
    Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
    Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
    Internal Data Cache : 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte
    line size
    L2 On-board Cache : 64kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64
    byte line size

    Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : No
    MP APIC : No
    System BIOS : VIA694 - 42302e31
    Total Memory : 512MB SDRAM

    Chipset 1
    Model : VIA Technologies Inc VT8363/5 KT133/KM133 System Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 100MHz (200MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 512MB SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed : 1x 100MHz (100MHz data rate)

    Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
    Adapter : RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL AGP (Microsoft Corporation)

    Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk : WDC WD153AA-00BAA0 (14GB)
    CD-ROM/DVD : CD-ROM Drive/F5E (CD 52X Rd)
    CD-ROM/DVD : TEAC CD-W512EB (CD 32X Rd, 12X Wr)

    Logical Storage Devices
    Hard Disk (C:) : 14GB (8.7GB, 61% Free Space) (NTFS)
    CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A
    CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A
    3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : N/A

    Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

    MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play (WDM)
    Device : Creative Advanced Wave Effects Synthesis for AWE32 Plug and
    Play (WDM)
    Device : Game Port for Creative
    Device : Creative 3D Stereo Enhancement Technology (WDM)

    Power Management
    AC Line Status : On-Line

    Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600
    (Service Pack 2)

    Network Services
    Adapter : Winbond PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Generic W89C840)

    Performance Tips
    Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered
    memory.
    Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
    Notice 5901 : CD 1x= 150kB/s; Exercise caution when comparing measured
    versus published ratings.
    Scrubs, Nov 5, 2006

  2. Scrubs

    philo Guest

    Re: Help with pc lock up

    "Scrubs" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, I recently bought a used computer (all sales final) that has what
    > appears to me,to be a ramdom lock up problem.Some days it will lock up
    > every 5 to 10 minutes, other days it can run for days without locking
    > up.The only definate lockup cause I have found is if I use a USB flash
    > drive,after removing it (using the os to stop/shut it off) the pc would
    > lock up. The most recent lockup was today, the pc was running since
    > Sat.AM (11/04/06) until today Sunday AM(11/05/06). Between the lockup I
    > have played games, gone online, ect. then right in the middle of writing
    > out an email, bang! lock up. I have tried reinstalling the os, I have
    > even taken the time to, one at a time remove each memory stick and test
    > each one in each bank to try to see if I had a bad stick, each one ran
    > fine.

    <snip>

    If the machine ran fine with just one RAM stick (either one)
    are they identical types or different?

    Maybe they are just not compatable?

    Also: I assume all your fans are OK and it's not a heat problem.

    Finally...as a last resort in a few stubborn systems I've worked on...
    sometimes the machine will work fine if clocked down slightly
    philo, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Scrubs wrote:

    > Hello, I recently bought a used computer (all sales final) that has what
    > appears to me,to be a ramdom lock up problem.Some days it will lock up
    > every 5 to 10 minutes, other days it can run for days without locking
    > up.The only definate lockup cause I have found is if I use a USB flash
    > drive,after removing it (using the os to stop/shut it off) the pc would
    > lock up.

    If your lock-ups are "solid freezes" without reboot and with no mouse
    reaction, it may be some hardware fault. If you can, try another
    powersupply (and look for bulged capacitors around the cpu). Check the
    harddrive as well (use some s.m.a.r.t monitor tool). But a failing
    harddrive rarely makes solid freezes.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 5, 2006
  4. Scrubs

    Scrubs Guest

    Re: Help with pc lock up

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "Scrubs" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I recently bought a used computer (all sales final) that has

    what
    >> appears to me,to be a ramdom lock up problem.Some days it will lock

    up
    >> every 5 to 10 minutes, other days it can run for days without locking
    >> up.The only definate lockup cause I have found is if I use a USB

    flash
    >> drive,after removing it (using the os to stop/shut it off) the pc

    would
    >> lock up. The most recent lockup was today, the pc was running since
    >> Sat.AM (11/04/06) until today Sunday AM(11/05/06). Between the lockup

    >> have played games, gone online, ect. then right in the middle of

    writing
    >> out an email, bang! lock up. I have tried reinstalling the os, I have
    >> even taken the time to, one at a time remove each memory stick and

    test
    >> each one in each bank to try to see if I had a bad stick, each one

    ran
    >> fine.

    > <snip>
    >
    > If the machine ran fine with just one RAM stick (either one)
    > are they identical types or different?
    >
    > Maybe they are just not compatable?

    There are 3 banks, and 3 sticks. Two sticks are pc133 128mb, One stick
    is pc133 256mb.
    > Also: I assume all your fans are OK and it's not a heat problem.

    I would think if it was a heat problem it would lock up everytime the
    pc gets too hot, this pc can run days without a lock up then out of the
    blue it locks.
    > Finally...as a last resort in a few stubborn systems I've worked on...
    > sometimes the machine will work fine if clocked down slightly

    No idea how to do this. will look into it. thx.
    Scrubs, Nov 5, 2006
  5. Scrubs

    Scrubs Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote in

    > Scrubs wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, I recently bought a used computer (all sales final) that has

    what
    >> appears to me,to be a ramdom lock up problem.Some days it will lock

    up
    >> every 5 to 10 minutes, other days it can run for days without locking
    >> up.The only definate lockup cause I have found is if I use a USB

    flash
    >> drive,after removing it (using the os to stop/shut it off) the pc

    would
    >> lock up.

    > If your lock-ups are "solid freezes" without reboot and with no mouse
    > reaction, it may be some hardware fault. If you can, try another
    > powersupply (and look for bulged capacitors around the cpu). Check the
    > harddrive as well (use some s.m.a.r.t monitor tool). But a failing
    > harddrive rarely makes solid freezes.

    As far as solid freezes goes, there is no mouse reaction, & no keyboard
    reaction, and I have to reboot everytime.
    Scrubs, Nov 5, 2006
  6. Scrubs

    philo Guest

    Re: Help with pc lock up

    <snip>

    > > If the machine ran fine with just one RAM stick (either one)
    > > are they identical types or different?
    > >
    > > Maybe they are just not compatable?

    > There are 3 banks, and 3 sticks. Two sticks are pc133 128mb, One stick
    > is pc133 256mb.

    But if only one stick is in the machine works OK???

    > > Also: I assume all your fans are OK and it's not a heat problem.

    > I would think if it was a heat problem it would lock up everytime the
    > pc gets too hot, this pc can run days without a lock up then out of the
    > blue it locks.
    > > Finally...as a last resort in a few stubborn systems I've worked on...
    > > sometimes the machine will work fine if clocked down slightly

    > No idea how to do this. will look into it. thx.

    True...prob. not a heat problem then

    to clock the machine down, you need to go into the bios settings
    and look at cpu speed, bus frequency and multiplier
    philo, Nov 5, 2006
  7. Scrubs wrote:

    > As far as solid freezes goes, there is no mouse reaction, & no keyboard
    > reaction, and I have to reboot everytime.

    So consider the hardware as flakey. If you have access to a digital
    multimeter, check powersupply voltages. You may as well switch to alternate
    current mode and watch if AC exceeds 100 mV.
    And watch the capacitors ...
    Walter Mautner, Nov 5, 2006
  8. Scrubs

    Shel-hed Guest

    Re: Help with pc lock up

    On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 12:26:27 -0600, Scrubs <> wrote:

    >"philo" <> wrote in
    >> Also: I assume all your fans are OK and it's not a heat problem.

    > I would think if it was a heat problem it would lock up everytime the
    >pc gets too hot, this pc can run days without a lock up then out of the
    >blue it locks.

    You can't assume anything. If you do, you risk not finding the problem.
    Random lockups are a symptom of overheating.
    You said the PC is new to you, so check everything.

    Wild assed guesses-
    Reseat the cpu.
    Check CPU clock against CPU model, overclocked?
    Check memory timings. Someone may have buggered with them.
    If the command rate is at 1, set it to 2,
    Change cas latency from 2 to 3, etc etc.
    Search for compatability problems with video drivers with your chipset.
    ISTR SB live problems with the 133s, try removing your soundcard and drivers.
    USB devices often cause problems. Some have even wrecked motherboards.
    Check power supply voltages. Is it big enough?
    Shel-hed, Nov 5, 2006
  9. Scrubs

    John Holmes Guest

    Re: Help with pc lock up

    philo "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > <snip>
    >

    >> > If the machine ran fine with just one RAM stick (either one)
    >> > are they identical types or different?
    >> >
    >> > Maybe they are just not compatable?

    >> There are 3 banks, and 3 sticks. Two sticks are pc133 128mb, One

    stick
    >> is pc133 256mb.

    > But if only one stick is in the machine works OK???
    >

    >> > Also: I assume all your fans are OK and it's not a heat problem.

    >> I would think if it was a heat problem it would lock up everytime

    the
    >> pc gets too hot, this pc can run days without a lock up then out of

    the
    >> blue it locks.
    >> > Finally...as a last resort in a few stubborn systems I've worked

    on...
    >> > sometimes the machine will work fine if clocked down slightly

    >> No idea how to do this. will look into it. thx.
    >>

    > True...prob. not a heat problem then

    Not true. The could be just surfing and sending/receiving some emails and
    opening a word document occasionally. Not much processor load. Maybe he
    started some heavy game which causes the machine to lock up, heating up a
    processor with a clogged fan cooler.

    --
    You hairy crate of smelly cat hairs.
    John Holmes, Nov 5, 2006
  10. Scrubs

    ZeroPanic Guest

    Re: Help with pc lock up

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > <snip>
    >

    >> > If the machine ran fine with just one RAM stick (either one)
    >> > are they identical types or different?
    >> >
    >> > Maybe they are just not compatable?

    >> There are 3 banks, and 3 sticks. Two sticks are pc133 128mb, One

    stick
    >> is pc133 256mb.

    > But if only one stick is in the machine works OK???

    Hello, it's "scrubs" different pc & different nym.
    Yes, to test the sticks and the banks I did the time consuming job of
    testing each stick in all three banks, then I tested two sticks within
    the 3 banks, then finaly 3 sticks in the 3 banks, each time I tried
    mixing the sticks so they werent in the same bank at each boot up, not
    one stick or bank caused any start up problems. from the other replies
    looks like I will look into a the power supply 1st, then try the video.

    >> > Also: I assume all your fans are OK and it's not a heat problem.

    >> I would think if it was a heat problem it would lock up everytime

    the
    >> pc gets too hot, this pc can run days without a lock up then out of

    the
    >> blue it locks.
    >> > Finally...as a last resort in a few stubborn systems I've worked

    on...
    >> > sometimes the machine will work fine if clocked down slightly

    >> No idea how to do this. will look into it. thx.
    >>

    > True...prob. not a heat problem then
    >
    > to clock the machine down, you need to go into the bios settings
    > and look at cpu speed, bus frequency and multiplier

    Thx, may save that as the final resort.
    ZeroPanic, Nov 6, 2006
  11. Scrubs

    scrubs Guest

    Scrubs <> wrote in news:Xns9872778913C36Whatsanoriface@
    204.186.200.105:

    > Hello, I recently bought a used computer......

    -snip-

    Thank you all for the help. I will start with the power supply, then try
    the video card. I try changing settings as a last resort, I'm not all that
    familiar with bios settings to jump right into it.
    scrubs, Nov 6, 2006
  12. Scrubs

    philo Guest

    Re: Help with pc lock up

    > > But if only one stick is in the machine works OK???

    > Hello, it's "scrubs" different pc & different nym.
    > Yes, to test the sticks and the banks I did the time consuming job of
    > testing each stick in all three banks, then I tested two sticks within
    > the 3 banks, then finaly 3 sticks in the 3 banks, each time I tried
    > mixing the sticks so they werent in the same bank at each boot up, not
    > one stick or bank caused any start up problems. from the other replies
    > looks like I will look into a the power supply 1st, then try the video.

    That did not answer the question.

    If you used only *one* ram stick did you have a problem?
    philo, Nov 6, 2006
  13. Scrubs

    scrubs Guest

    Re: Help with pc lock up

    "philo" <> wrote in

    >> > But if only one stick is in the machine works OK???

    >> Hello, it's "scrubs" different pc & different nym.
    >> Yes, to test the sticks and the banks I did the time consuming job of
    >> testing each stick in all three banks, then I tested two sticks within
    >> the 3 banks, then finaly 3 sticks in the 3 banks, each time I tried
    >> mixing the sticks so they werent in the same bank at each boot up, not
    >> one stick or bank caused any start up problems. from the other replies
    >> looks like I will look into a the power supply 1st, then try the video.
    >>

    > That did not answer the question.
    >
    > If you used only *one* ram stick did you have a problem?

    Actually, I didnt keep the pc running long enough to see if it locks. all
    I did was bootup/power down each stick/bank looking for a bad stick/bank.
    *slaps head* didnt even think about running it to see if it locks.
    scrubs, Nov 7, 2006