Req Help with HP 7660 Printer Software Install....Access Denied

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bobbii, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. Bobbii

    Bobbii Guest

    I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
    "Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
    Denied".

    I was able to install the "driver" for the printer, by just connecting
    it to a USB Port and letting the system see it....but I can't get the
    software to install.

    I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

    I spent over an hour on the phone with HP Support, and their final
    suggestion was to "format and re-install" XP......I really don't want
    to do that unless absolutely necessary.

    If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a solution, I
    would be very grateful for any assistance you could/would offer to me.

    There is a small program on the HP Support Web Site that is supposed
    to "fix the Access Denied" problem, but in my case it did not help.

    Please help me with this problem, if you have any suggestions.

    Thanks much.

    Bobbii, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Bobbii

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:43:01 GMT "Bobbii"
    used 23 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
    >"Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
    >Denied".

    <snip>

    Do you have administrator privileges or are you logging on with a
    "limited" account?

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email

    G. Morgan, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Bobbii

    Bobbii Guest

    Yes, I have administrator privleges. I'm the only user of this
    PC.Thanks for the suggestion tho.
    Any other ideas?

    Bobbii, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Bobbii

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:43:01 GMT, Bobbii <> wrote:

    >I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
    >"Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
    >Denied".
    >
    >I was able to install the "driver" for the printer, by just connecting
    >it to a USB Port and letting the system see it....but I can't get the
    >software to install.
    >
    >I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    >I spent over an hour on the phone with HP Support, and their final
    >suggestion was to "format and re-install" XP......I really don't want
    >to do that unless absolutely necessary.
    >
    >If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a solution, I
    >would be very grateful for any assistance you could/would offer to me.
    >
    >There is a small program on the HP Support Web Site that is supposed
    >to "fix the Access Denied" problem, but in my case it did not help.
    >
    >Please help me with this problem, if you have any suggestions.
    >
    >Thanks much.

    Try installing from the safe mode:
    After the Power On Self Test (POST), press and hold the F8 key.

    Unk, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Bobbii

    WormWood Guest

    "Bobbii" <> wrote in message
    >I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
    > "Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
    > Denied".
    >
    > I was able to install the "driver" for the printer, by just connecting
    > it to a USB Port and letting the system see it....but I can't get the
    > software to install.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > I spent over an hour on the phone with HP Support, and their final
    > suggestion was to "format and re-install" XP......I really don't want
    > to do that unless absolutely necessary.
    >
    > If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a solution, I
    > would be very grateful for any assistance you could/would offer to me.
    >
    > There is a small program on the HP Support Web Site that is supposed
    > to "fix the Access Denied" problem, but in my case it did not help.
    >
    > Please help me with this problem, if you have any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks much.

    The driver is all you actually need to use the printer. Printers are
    usually shipped with bundled software which are mostly "project" items
    such as label makers, card making, etc. which you may find allready
    installed with some other programs.

    ---
    Outgoing mail is outgoing except during reverse episodes. The delimiter
    is not worthy of being called a delimiter.

    WormWood, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Bobbii

    Bobbii Guest

    Thank you Unk for that suggestion.I had not thought about doiing it
    that way....so I just tried it, but no luck....I got the message "The
    Windows Installer Service could not be acessed. This can occur if you
    are running Windows in Safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
    correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

    Bobbii, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Bobbii

    Bobbii Guest

    Thanks WormWood. Your are correct, and in fact, I have been using the
    printer for a couple of days now....but it just bugs the crap out of
    me that I can/t use the software....or at least install it and find
    out for myself whether it is useful or not.

    Bobbii, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Bobbii

    WormWood Guest

    "Bobbii" <> wrote:

    > Thanks WormWood. Your are correct, and in fact, I have been using the
    > printer for a couple of days now....but it just bugs the crap out of
    > me that I can/t use the software....or at least install it and find
    > out for myself whether it is useful or not.

    <snip>

    Note the names of the programs on the disk and take them to Google, find
    out if the software is something you want / need. And then, it may just
    be an issue you don't think is worth the bugging you would get by
    reinstalling your OS. My $0.032.

    <another snip>

    WormWood, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Bobbii

    Bobbii Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that.

    Bobbii, Dec 2, 2004