    under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.

    Thanks to all for any helpful advice.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Jeremy

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Jeremy wrote:

    > Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
    > under the doc and setting dir.
    > but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
    > logon screen. I can still log in
    > with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
    > detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
    > "administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
    > under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.
    >

    > Thanks to all for any helpful advice.
    >
    > Jeremy

    The three finger salute
    Hit control alt delete at the welcome screen and you will get the normal
    nt login then log in as administrator
    If you have only one user and you are not seeing the welcome screen, log
    out then hit control alt delete

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 19, 2004

  3. Jeremy

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Jeremy

    Adder Guest

    In article <cq391u$6ac$> in nz.comp on Sun, 19 Dec 2004
    20:02:26 +1300, Jeremy <> says...
    > Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
    > under the doc and setting dir.
    > but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
    > logon screen. I can still log in
    > with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
    > detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
    > "administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
    > under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.

    If you only have the logon screen with names on it that you click on to
    log on, it needs to be changed to pressing Ctrl Alt Delete

    The logon screen with names hides the Administrator account, but it's
    still there.

    Adder, Dec 19, 2004
  5. Jeremy

    Adder, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Jeremy

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:02:26 +1300, "Jeremy" <> had
    this to say:

    >Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
    >under the doc and setting dir.
    >but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
    >logon screen. I can still log in
    >with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
    >detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
    >"administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
    >under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.
    >

    >Thanks to all for any helpful advice.

    In addition to the (correct) comments from previous posters, WinXP (as
    with most reasonable OSs) do not use the account name for security,
    but rather a generated unique ID. What this means is that you could
    not create another user with the same name, and expect to have access
    to the previous named user's resources.

    However, there are other ways of gaining access (taking ownership
    etc), although this is relatively irrelevant in your scenario.

    HTH

    Gurble, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Jeremy

    Gurble, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the admin
    acc,
    by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log in
    as this acc
    i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I reboot, i
    tried to del the
    other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.

    Any Ideas

    Thanks

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 19, 2004
  10. Jeremy

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:02:06 +1300, "Jeremy" <> had
    this to say:

    >Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the admin
    >acc,
    >by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log in
    >as this acc
    >i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I reboot, i
    >tried to del the
    >other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.
    >
    >Any Ideas
    >
    >Thanks

    Hi, Jeremy.

    Easiest way is to download TweakUI from the following link. It is
    about halfway down the righthand side of the page.

    It is part of the MS Windows XP Powertoys package.

    Run the installer, then access it from your Start Menu (under
    "PowerToys for XP", or something similar).

    Amongst many, many options is an "autologin" under "login".

    Remember to be aware of the security consequences of this (ie anyone
    can turn on your computer and have administrator access to it without
    a password).

    HTH.

    Gurble, Dec 19, 2004
  11. Jeremy

    Gurble, Dec 19, 2004
  12. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    "Gurble" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:02:06 +1300, "Jeremy" <> had
    > this to say:
    >
    > >Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the

    admin
    > >acc,
    > >by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log

    in
    > >as this acc
    > >i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I reboot,

    > >tried to del the
    > >other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.
    > >
    > >Any Ideas
    > >
    > >Thanks

    > Hi, Jeremy.
    >
    > Easiest way is to download TweakUI from the following link. It is
    > about halfway down the righthand side of the page.

    > It is part of the MS Windows XP Powertoys package.
    >
    > Run the installer, then access it from your Start Menu (under
    > "PowerToys for XP", or something similar).
    >
    > Amongst many, many options is an "autologin" under "login".
    >
    > Remember to be aware of the security consequences of this (ie anyone
    > can turn on your computer and have administrator access to it without
    > a password).
    >
    > HTH.

    Thankyou Gurble,

    That should sort it.

    Jeremy, Dec 19, 2004
  13. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    "Gurble" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:02:06 +1300, "Jeremy" <> had
    > this to say:
    >
    > >Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the

    admin
    > >acc,
    > >by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log

    in
    > >as this acc
    > >i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I reboot,

    > >tried to del the
    > >other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.
    > >
    > >Any Ideas
    > >
    > >Thanks

    > Hi, Jeremy.
    >
    > Easiest way is to download TweakUI from the following link. It is
    > about halfway down the righthand side of the page.

    > It is part of the MS Windows XP Powertoys package.
    >
    > Run the installer, then access it from your Start Menu (under
    > "PowerToys for XP", or something similar).
    >
    > Amongst many, many options is an "autologin" under "login".
    >
    > Remember to be aware of the security consequences of this (ie anyone
    > can turn on your computer and have administrator access to it without
    > a password).
    >
    > HTH.

    Thankyou Gurble,

    That should sort it.

    Jeremy, Dec 19, 2004
  14. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:02:06 +1300, Jeremy wrote:

    > Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the admin
    > acc,
    > by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log in
    > as this acc
    > i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I reboot, i
    > tried to del the
    > other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.
    >
    > Any Ideas
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Jeremy

    Well you can hide users from the welcome screen by adding the username as a
    REG_DWORD value of zero to the following registry key

    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

    You can set automatic logins by from the Run item on the Start menu using
    this command: control userpasswords2

    I don't think you can delete the "true" administrator account..

    wogers nemesis, Dec 19, 2004

    wogers nemesis, Dec 19, 2004
  16. wogers nemesis wrote:
    > You can set automatic logins by from the Run item on the Start menu using
    > this command: control userpasswords2

    > I don't think you can delete the "true" administrator account..

    I dont believe you can... however you can remove it's admin rights, and
    make it a guest. :)

    I do this on my home machine, that way if it ever does get compromised
    as someone bruteforcing the administrator password, it gives them a
    guest account, with no access to do anything :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 19, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 19, 2004
  18. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:02:06 +1300, Jeremy wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the

    admin
    > > acc,
    > > by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log

    in
    > > as this acc
    > > i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I

    reboot, i
    > > tried to del the
    > > other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.
    > >
    > > Any Ideas
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > Jeremy

    > Well you can hide users from the welcome screen by adding the username as

    > REG_DWORD value of zero to the following registry key
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    >

    > You can set automatic logins by from the Run item on the Start menu using
    > this command: control userpasswords2
    >
    > I don't think you can delete the "true" administrator account..

    Thanks using "You can set automatic logins by from the Run item on the Start
    menu using
    this command: control userpasswords2" I was able to del the 2nd admin acc
    and get the comp

    Cheers

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 19, 2004
  19. Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 19, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > wogers nemesis wrote:
    >
    >> You can set automatic logins by from the Run item on the Start menu using
    >> this command: control userpasswords2

    >> I don't think you can delete the "true" administrator account..

    > I dont believe you can... however you can remove it's admin rights, and
    > make it a guest. :)
    >
    > I do this on my home machine, that way if it ever does get compromised
    > as someone bruteforcing the administrator password, it gives them a
    > guest account, with no access to do anything :)

    Rename that Administrator account, then create a new one with the
    original name and with little or no privs, as you suggest.

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 20, 2004