Req: Help - connecting two machines (one wireless) via Draytek Vigor 2600g

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I have a Draytek 2600g wireless router as seen here:
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600g.html

    A desktop machine is connected via network cable with all
    settings in TCP/IP, DNS etc., set to obtain automatically. This
    system is running XP Pro SP2 and connects to the net via the
    router. The gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 (default).

    The system has a unique name for this machine and the group
    setting is the default "WORKGROUP". However, the system will not
    identify itself on the network in "My Network Places" despite the
    'network' connection being live and working.

    The other machine is a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g wireless
    network card installed. TCP/IP settings are set to automatic as
    above and the system connects to the router and to the internet
    via the router's gateway when all security settings are left
    "open". However this system also does not find itself in "My
    Network Places".

    Also, it will not connect to the router when using added security
    with the WPA-PSK option. I have set both the router and the
    laptop to use WPA-PSK/TKIP and tried using both hex and ascii
    passphrases. To give examples:

    ASCII: abcdef123
    HEX:
    0xabcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcd

    I have input both and niether will work. The router says the
    above hex phrase is too long, and will only accept a 62 character
    string without the "0x" prefix. Windows network setup will not
    accept anything resembling a hex phrase. Both systems will accept
    the ASCII phrase, but then the laptop and router will not talk to
    each other. Clearing everything back to "open" establishes the
    connection once more.

    Can anyone please assist?

    Thanks.

    Mike, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mike <> wrote:

    >I have a Draytek 2600g wireless router as seen here:
    >http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600g.html
    >
    >A desktop machine is connected via network cable with all
    >settings in TCP/IP, DNS etc., set to obtain automatically. This
    >system is running XP Pro SP2 and connects to the net via the
    >router. The gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 (default).
    >
    >The system has a unique name for this machine and the group
    >setting is the default "WORKGROUP". However, the system will not
    >identify itself on the network in "My Network Places" despite the
    >'network' connection being live and working.
    >
    >The other machine is a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g wireless
    >network card installed. TCP/IP settings are set to automatic as
    >above and the system connects to the router and to the internet
    >via the router's gateway when all security settings are left
    >"open". However this system also does not find itself in "My
    >Network Places".
    >
    >Also, it will not connect to the router when using added security
    >with the WPA-PSK option. I have set both the router and the
    >laptop to use WPA-PSK/TKIP and tried using both hex and ascii
    >passphrases. To give examples:
    >
    >ASCII: abcdef123
    >HEX:
    >0xabcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcd
    >
    >I have input both and niether will work. The router says the
    >above hex phrase is too long, and will only accept a 62 character
    >string without the "0x" prefix. Windows network setup will not
    >accept anything resembling a hex phrase. Both systems will accept
    >the ASCII phrase, but then the laptop and router will not talk to
    >each other. Clearing everything back to "open" establishes the
    >connection once more.
    >
    >Can anyone please assist?

    I'll take that as a "no" then. :-(

    Mike, Mar 2, 2005