    that, have no idea what may be causing this.

    Anyone able to throw any light on the problem for me ?

    Thanks in advance.

    The Fat Controller, Oct 12, 2003

  2. The Fat Controller

    Stevo Guest

    Re: HDD install help

    The Fat Controller wrote:
    > I had 2 hard drives set up in my machine, both Seagate. The primary
    > master was a 60GB and the slave was a 7.8 gb. On wednesday night, the
    > 60Gb failed in some obscure way !.
    >
    > I then purchased a new Hitachi 60Gb drive, installed that and
    > performed a clean install of Windows ME, and the drive works
    > perfectly.
    >
    > When I now plug the seagate 7.8Gb drive in as the slave again, and
    > re-boot the PC, the system test refuses to see EITHER of the hard
    > disks and, refuses to let me access either of them.
    >
    > As soon as I unplug the smaller drive, the new drive is instantly
    > found. I have checked that the master/ slave jumpers are set
    > correctly but other than that, have no idea what may be causing this.
    >
    > Anyone able to throw any light on the problem for me ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    The two drives are on the same cable? Are you *sure* the jumpers are set
    correctly? That sounds exactly like the cause of the symptoms you are
    seeing.. if you disconnect one drive, what do you see in the BIOS screen at
    start up, where is the drive - Master or Slave? Now try the other drive on
    its own.. what do you see in BIOS, is it connected as Master or Slave?

    What happens when you connect one of the drives on the primary IDE port and
    the other on the secondary IDE port?

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Oct 12, 2003

  3. The Fat Controller

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Re: HDD install help

    Taking a moment's reflection, The Fat Controller mused:

    | Anyone able to throw any light on the problem for me ?

    Confirm one of the drives is not set to Cable Select, and the other to
    Master/Slave ... to be sure, set them both to Cable Select, and attach them
    to the IDE ribbon accordingly.

    mhicaoidh, Oct 13, 2003
  4. The Fat Controller

    Plato Guest

    The Fat Controller wrote:

    > I then purchased a new Hitachi 60Gb drive, installed that and performed a
    > clean install of Windows ME, and the drive works perfectly.
    >
    > When I now plug the seagate 7.8Gb drive in as the slave again, and re-boot
    > the PC, the system test refuses to see EITHER of the hard disks and, refuses
    > to let me access either of them.

    If you are sure that it's not a hardware/cable/jumper/wire problem.
    Then, its just a matter of the new technology NOT getting along with the
    older technology. Even if you have the old drive on a different IDE
    channel the same niggle can result. I recently had this sort of problem
    with a new 40 and an old 1.6

    And I had the 1.6 on the secondary.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/