REQ: Freeware to rotate *.avi video in WinXP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Sep 11, 2011.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    OS: WinXPpro SP3

    I've used a payware programme called Evaer Recorder for Skype to
    record a 1½ hour Skype audio/video conversation (receiver's video
    only). The resulting *.avi file opens in Media Player Classic - Home
    Cinema (and in Windows Media Player), but the image in both is
    upsidedown.

    I've tried using the latest version of Free Video Flip & Rotate, but
    when I open any *.avi file the programme hangs. I've also tried
    VirtualDub, but it badly distorts both the audio and visual in the
    copy and increases the file size to 145GB in the process.

    Is there any other video flip or rotate FW anyone can recommend? I've
    read that I can rotate an *.avi video using Windows Movie Maker, but I
    haven't been able to find a free download for v2.6 for XP (only v2.0).

    TIA.
    Donchano, Sep 11, 2011

  2. On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 15:15:17 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >OS: WinXPpro SP3
    >
    >I've used a payware programme called Evaer Recorder for Skype to
    >record a 1½ hour Skype audio/video conversation (receiver's video
    >only). The resulting *.avi file opens in Media Player Classic - Home
    >Cinema (and in Windows Media Player), but the image in both is
    >upsidedown.
    >
    >I've tried using the latest version of Free Video Flip & Rotate, but
    >when I open any *.avi file the programme hangs. I've also tried
    >VirtualDub, but it badly distorts both the audio and visual in the
    >copy and increases the file size to 145GB in the process.
    >
    >Is there any other video flip or rotate FW anyone can recommend? I've
    >read that I can rotate an *.avi video using Windows Movie Maker, but I
    >haven't been able to find a free download for v2.6 for XP (only v2.0).
    >
    >TIA.

    VirtualDub can do what you want, but you need to know how to use it.
    It sounds like you did not select an output video or audio codec, and
    got raw AVI output, which creates at least 1.2 Gibytes per minute of
    video for DVD quality sources. For what you are doing, you want to
    set the Audio to Direct stream copy mode, and use File/File
    information to find out what the input video codec and its settings
    are and replicate that for your output codec settings. Then add the
    Flip video filter. For the best quality result, you might also need
    to learn how to do two pass processing.

    But as reprocessing a file will always reduce its quality, I would
    suggest just using VLC to play the file - it has an option to rotate
    the picture at playback time. The option is a bit hard to find - go
    to Tools/Effects and Filters. On the Adjustments and Effects window
    that pops up, select the Video Effects tab and then the Geometry
    sub-tab. Set the Rotate option and adjust the dial to the required
    rotation. Do not forget to close the Adjustments and Effects window -
    if you forget, VLC has a bug that makes it hard to get the window to
    the top again and you may have to close VLC and re-open it.
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 11, 2011

  3. Donchano

    grum Guest

    On 11/09/2011 3:15 p.m., Donchano wrote:

    > Is there any other video flip or rotate FW anyone can recommend?

    Avidemux is well worth a look. I've just tested it rotating a small
    camera video, worked perfectly. I've used it to solve all sorts of other
    problems. It's a bit of a misnomer, it does far more than just
    manipulate AVI files.

    See Video -> Filters. For the filters to be enabled, you'll have to
    transcode the video to something else, but that will probably be
    beneficial anyway (reduced size). Suggest MPEG-4 AVC, and saved as an MP4.
    grum, Sep 12, 2011
  4. Donchano

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 11/09/2011 3:15 p.m., Donchano wrote:

    > OS: WinXPpro SP3
    >
    > I've used a payware programme called Evaer Recorder for Skype to
    > record a 1½ hour Skype audio/video conversation (receiver's video
    > only). The resulting *.avi file opens in Media Player Classic - Home
    > Cinema (and in Windows Media Player), but the image in both is
    > upsidedown.
    >
    > I've tried using the latest version of Free Video Flip& Rotate, but
    > when I open any *.avi file the programme hangs. I've also tried
    > VirtualDub, but it badly distorts both the audio and visual in the
    > copy and increases the file size to 145GB in the process.
    >
    > Is there any other video flip or rotate FW anyone can recommend? I've
    > read that I can rotate an *.avi video using Windows Movie Maker, but I
    > haven't been able to find a free download for v2.6 for XP (only v2.0).
    >
    > TIA.

    Easiest to rotate your head. ;-)
    Gib Bogle, Sep 14, 2011
  5. Donchano

    grum Guest

    You must have an interesting head attachment - the OP wrote:
    "but the image in both is upsidedown."

    I just tried your method here, ooohh now my arms have gone all tingly...
    grum, Sep 15, 2011