REQ: Free firewall that allows ICS

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by gl, May 14, 2004.

  1. gl

    gl Guest

    Does anyone have any recommendations for a free firewall that allows
    Internet Connection Sharing?

    I've always used ZoneAlarm but see that the free version doesn't allow ICS.

    Is there one that does, or am I better off stumping up the cash for
    ZoneAlarm Pro?

    thanks
    gl
     
    gl, May 14, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. gl

    Bok Guest

    gl wrote:

    > Does anyone have any recommendations for a free firewall that allows
    > Internet Connection Sharing?


    Netfilter/iptables
     
    Bok, May 15, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. gl

    Barg Guest

    gl wrote:

    > Does anyone have any recommendations for a free firewall that allows
    > Internet Connection Sharing?
    >
    > I've always used ZoneAlarm but see that the free version doesn't allow
    > ICS.
    >
    > Is there one that does, or am I better off stumping up the cash for
    > ZoneAlarm Pro?
    >
    > thanks
    > gl



    Got an old PC? Coyote Linux (www.coyotelinux.com). No, you don't need to
    know anything about Linux. Their Windows-based installer creates the Linux
    boot floppy for you. (You don't need a hard disk either.) And all
    maintenance can be done via the browser on your main machine so you don't
    need a keyboard or monitor either. You will however need a network card.
    (Two if you've got broadband.)

    I run my firewall/router on an ancient 486 with 24MB of Ram but a 386 with
    12MB will do!
     
    Barg, May 15, 2004
    #3
  4. gl

    Stewy Guest

    Barg wrote:

    > gl wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations for a free firewall that allows
    >> Internet Connection Sharing?
    >>
    >> I've always used ZoneAlarm but see that the free version doesn't allow
    >> ICS.
    >>
    >> Is there one that does, or am I better off stumping up the cash for
    >> ZoneAlarm Pro?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> gl

    >
    >
    > Got an old PC? Coyote Linux (www.coyotelinux.com). No, you don't need to
    > know anything about Linux. Their Windows-based installer creates the
    > Linux
    > boot floppy for you. (You don't need a hard disk either.) And all
    > maintenance can be done via the browser on your main machine so you don't
    > need a keyboard or monitor either. You will however need a network card.
    > (Two if you've got broadband.)
    >
    > I run my firewall/router on an ancient 486 with 24MB of Ram but a 386 with
    > 12MB will do!



    I recommend this as the means of sharing an internet connection too.


    Easy to set up and works straight away, no hassles.
     
    Stewy, May 15, 2004
    #4
  5. gl

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stewy wrote:
    > Barg wrote:
    >
    >> gl wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have any recommendations for a free firewall that allows
    >>> Internet Connection Sharing?
    >>>
    >>> I've always used ZoneAlarm but see that the free version doesn't
    >>> allow ICS.
    >>>
    >>> Is there one that does, or am I better off stumping up the cash for
    >>> ZoneAlarm Pro?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> gl

    >>
    >>
    >> Got an old PC? Coyote Linux (www.coyotelinux.com). No, you don't
    >> need to know anything about Linux. Their Windows-based installer
    >> creates the Linux
    >> boot floppy for you. (You don't need a hard disk either.) And all
    >> maintenance can be done via the browser on your main machine so you
    >> don't need a keyboard or monitor either. You will however need a
    >> network card. (Two if you've got broadband.)
    >>
    >> I run my firewall/router on an ancient 486 with 24MB of Ram but a
    >> 386 with 12MB will do!

    >
    >
    > I recommend this as the means of sharing an internet connection too.
    >
    >
    > Easy to set up and works straight away, no hassles.


    Does it work as a DHCP server or do you need to manually assign IPs? How
    does it handle winmodems? NIC drivers? Or do I have this wrong?
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, May 16, 2004
    #5
  6. gl

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:24:18 +1200, "gl" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any recommendations for a free firewall that allows
    >Internet Connection Sharing?
    >
    >I've always used ZoneAlarm but see that the free version doesn't allow ICS.
    >
    >Is there one that does, or am I better off stumping up the cash for
    >ZoneAlarm Pro?


    I'm not sure on the answer to that, but as an alternative if you can spare a bit
    of cash, get yourself an ADSL Router and it will take care of it all for you.
    It will free up your PC from the ICS job, the other computer(s) can still access
    the internet even if you turn yours off, and imho it's a better solution than
    running software on another computer as others have suggested.
    Better because you have a nice small box using a little bit of electricity
    rather than another big noisy computer.

    The DSE one is $169, but it's Out of stock, no further stock is due. Some stores
    still have stock.
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40a714bd01707e20273fc0a87f990712/Product/View/XH1149

    Or for somthing cheaper, $100 for the PT-3812
    http://www.puretek.com.tw/product/adsl modem/adsl products .htm#router
     
    Craig Shore, May 16, 2004
    #6
  7. gl

    Malcolm Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    > Does it work as a DHCP server or do you need to manually assign IPs? How
    > does it handle winmodems? NIC drivers? Or do I have this wrong?
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    >
    >

    Howdy ~misfit~

    Yes, you can run a DHCP server on Coyote. There are quite a few other
    tweaks that can be done as well and make it a print server etc.

    NIC support is pretty good. I've never had an issues setting up a NIC,
    some just require the io and irq to be defined.

    Winmodems...hmmmm....I still run 1.32 here (recompiled the kernel for
    DiskOnChip support), they do have a release 2.0x which may have a bit
    more support on that side, check the website or do a search of the help
    forums. Else it would be a recompile of the kernel.

    Cheers
    Malcolm
     
    Malcolm, May 16, 2004
    #7
  8. gl

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Does it work as a DHCP server or do you need to manually assign IPs?
    >> How does it handle winmodems? NIC drivers? Or do I have this wrong?
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>
    >>

    > Howdy ~misfit~
    >
    > Yes, you can run a DHCP server on Coyote. There are quite a few other
    > tweaks that can be done as well and make it a print server etc.
    >
    > NIC support is pretty good. I've never had an issues setting up a NIC,
    > some just require the io and irq to be defined.
    >
    > Winmodems...hmmmm....I still run 1.32 here (recompiled the kernel for
    > DiskOnChip support), they do have a release 2.0x which may have a bit
    > more support on that side, check the website or do a search of the
    > help forums. Else it would be a recompile of the kernel.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Malcolm


    Thanks heaps for the reply Malcolm, I might have a look at it as an internet
    gateway for a home Windows LAN.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, May 16, 2004
    #8
  9. gl

    mattlock Guest

    gl wrote:
    > Does anyone have any recommendations for a free firewall that allows
    > Internet Connection Sharing?
    >
    > I've always used ZoneAlarm but see that the free version doesn't allow ICS.
    >
    > Is there one that does, or am I better off stumping up the cash for
    > ZoneAlarm Pro?
    >
    > thanks
    > gl
    >
    >

    Kerio 2.1 lets you do ICS for free, although it's a bit more tricky to
    setup than Zonealarm.
    http://www.blarp.com/faq/faqmanager.cgi?toc=kerio
     
    mattlock, May 17, 2004
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?S0c2R0ZR?=

    firewall/ICS service problems affecting wireless?

    =?Utf-8?B?S0c2R0ZR?=, Jan 25, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,855
  2. Rifleman

    best Free firewall for ICS?

    Rifleman, Feb 19, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    2,572
    jetspc
    Dec 30, 2008
  3. santa
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    477
    santa
    Oct 19, 2005
  4. Ola Eld?y
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    342
    schuetzen - RKBA!
    Jul 16, 2004
  5. JMI
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    334
Loading...

Share This Page