Req Canon S1 that records video in mpeg4, any such beast?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by No Body, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. No Body

    No Body Guest

    I've been reading and reading about all the diff cameras and the canon
    s1 seems like a great camera. My only criticism is that when recording
    in 640*480 movie mode it uses 1.5 mbyte/sec apparently! so that's about
    2 mins on a 256 mbyte Card!!! This seems crazy as Digital-TV mpeg2 is
    only about 0.5 mbyte/sec and divx is great quality at only 0.2 mbyte/sec
    (thats 21 mins on a 256mb card).

    I peered down the Mustek route who do mpeg4 but at 640*480 its only @ 10
    fps on the dv5500 which is useless and I'm sure these cheap multi
    function cameras sux. I had a umax550 before and it was fun but pretty
    crap at everything.

    I wonder if there are any of the trustworthy camera manufacturers
    (canon, nikon, etc) planning to go the mpeg4 route, so we can get
    640x480 (or higher) but use mpeg4 or at least mpeg2 to store it. If
    Canon bought out an s1 that used mpeg4 or mepg2 I'd buy one yesterday as
    it would then appear have it all. But at the huge data rate the 640x480
    movie mode currently uses it seems nothing more than an add-on gimmick,
    limited to 9mins / 1gb per video.

    I therefore am considering just getting a cheap 2-3mpix camera and
    waiting ANOTHER year until something decent comes out, anyone else
    waiting on this or with any ideas to solving the portable camera+cam
    issue facing us all today in 2004?

    S1 = so near and yet so far...
    No Body, Nov 3, 2004

  2. No Body

    SteveB Guest

    Olympus C770 does mpeg4 movies.

    SteveB, Nov 3, 2004

  3. No Body

    No Body Guest

    OK I'm reading up on it, the initial spec seems to look awesome, just
    what I was looking for, thanks for the pointer. A bit pricey though @
    £280 but if the gear-lust takes a good firm hold there is probably
    little I can do to resist. If anyone has one of these and would like to
    comment then feel free.
    No Body, Nov 3, 2004
  4. No Body

    Aerticus Guest

    It has the spec I am looking for but a 3MP sensor?

    On the other hand noise levels on sample images seems quite pleasant

    At the moment my list of contenders is
    S1 IS
    FZ20

    the proprietary LiON and noise has tempered my enthusiasm for the FZ20

    The S1 IS seems good on samples

    I guess I'll have to think about it a bit longer - perhaps the sensor in the
    FZ20 is being driven a bit too hard giving rise to moise that is a bit more
    obvious than in th S1 IS or FZ15

    Hey - ho ... thinking time

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 3, 2004
  5. Aerticus wrote:
    []
    > I guess I'll have to think about it a bit longer - perhaps the sensor
    > in the FZ20 is being driven a bit too hard giving rise to moise that
    > is a bit more obvious than in th S1 IS or FZ15

    Does the noise matter with your picture sizes and viewing methods you
    have? These samples viewed at 1:1 zoom may not be representative of your
    needs. Try an FZ20 in your environment - I reckon much of this noise
    problem is over-rated by those who have never used film, and that zero
    noise is somewhat of a fashion.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 4, 2004
  6. No Body

    No Body Guest

    SteveB wrote:

    > Olympus C770 does mpeg4 movies.

    having looked into it I finally tracked down some actual movie clips
    from c770 and it seems that despite it being mpeg4 which is perfectly
    capable of great quality, especially at the 2500kbit/sec that it uses,
    it doesn't look good. So even at that price, again the movie mode is
    little more than a gimmick. The camera spec looks great with 10x zoom
    and 4mpix but doesn't have the image stabliser the canon s1 has.

    I think I'm left looking at either getting a cheap gimmicky mustek, such
    as dv5000/5500 that I know will not be particularly great at anything
    but will do some sort of a job at £90 and can do 352x288@30fps in mpeg4.
    Or maybe getting a nikon coolpix 3200 which will do 640x480 + 352x240
    albeit only at 15 fps and NOT using mpeg4 but should give decent stills
    and is nice and small. Then I guess the idea would be to wait for
    another 2 years when decent mpeg4 cams with good stills should exist. If
    you look at a DVD converted to mpeg4 at 2,500kbit it would be as good as
    the DVD, so why a camera using that resolution (olympus c770) isn't is a
    bit confusing but...

    Annoying though is that none of these seem to use compact flash which is
    what I have from prev camera, canon seems to use these BUT the Jessops
    guy didn't seem to rate canon, saying they were not that responsive.
    Others have reported this also.

    this has a link to an mpeg4 movie on the olympus c7770 near the bottom
    of the review. Dunno if it's the content or the camera but it doesn't
    look great
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c765uz_770uz-review/
    No Body, Nov 4, 2004
  7. On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:59:57 +0000, No Body <>
    wrote:

    >I've been reading and reading about all the diff cameras and the canon
    >s1 seems like a great camera. My only criticism is that when recording
    >in 640*480 movie mode it uses 1.5 mbyte/sec apparently! so that's about
    >2 mins on a 256 mbyte Card!!! This seems crazy as Digital-TV mpeg2 is
    >only about 0.5 mbyte/sec and divx is great quality at only 0.2 mbyte/sec
    >(thats 21 mins on a 256mb card).

    He, Mr. No Body:

    My best guess is that the processor needed for good MPEG-4
    compression would be more expensive than a bigger memory card.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Nov 4, 2004