    the Auckland region.

    Thanks,
    Ben
    Ben, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Ben

    SNOman Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u rack
    > mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications? Preferable in
    > the Auckland region.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ben

    Do you mean a clone or someone like HP, IBM, Dell. Lots of reputable
    suppliers can order and ship the proprietary servers.
    SNOman, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Ben

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:00:16 +1300, SNOman wrote:

    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u
    >> rack mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications?
    >> Preferable in the Auckland region.

    > Do you mean a clone or someone like HP, IBM, Dell. Lots of reputable
    > suppliers can order and ship the proprietary servers.

    And if you still want one built, there should be a bunch of resellers
    willing to stick cpus, ram and disks in one of these:

    http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/group.asp?cat=6583

    (Those price are RRP - what the reseller actually charges you will vary)

    We set up a 1.26GHz tualatin dual cpu one of these last year with a
    ServerWorks chipset - it's been a great little machine. Not sure how the
    current set of motherboards and chipsets compare though. As for the big
    brands, I've always been partial to IBMs myself (purely subjective though).

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 9, 2003
  4. You shouldn't have much trouble with any of the computer stores around
    Auckland (The quality ones), assuming you want a dual Xeon or similar.

    Procase sells 1U and 2U rackmount cases. Most stores deal with them.

    Supermicro makes boards designed for 1U and 2U systems. Not too hard to
    source from my experiences, although some boards might not be available, or
    you may have to wait.

    Intel Xeon processors are available with 1U coolers (These usually only cost
    about $10 than the common variety with larger coolers).

    All pretty much standard stuff. Certainly no real reason to buy am expensive
    proprietary server at several times the price from one of the larger vendors
    :)

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u

    rack
    > > mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications? Preferable

    in
    > > the Auckland region.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ben
    > >

    > Do you mean a clone or someone like HP, IBM, Dell. Lots of reputable
    > suppliers can order and ship the proprietary servers.

    Either or... would be happy with a clone as long as it's reliable.

    Ben
    Ben, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:00:16 +1300, SNOman wrote:
    >
    > > Ben wrote:
    > >
    > >> Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u
    > >> rack mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications?
    > >> Preferable in the Auckland region.

    > > Do you mean a clone or someone like HP, IBM, Dell. Lots of reputable
    > > suppliers can order and ship the proprietary servers.

    > And if you still want one built, there should be a bunch of resellers
    > willing to stick cpus, ram and disks in one of these:
    >
    > http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/group.asp?cat=6583
    >
    > (Those price are RRP - what the reseller actually charges you will vary)
    >
    > We set up a 1.26GHz tualatin dual cpu one of these last year with a
    > ServerWorks chipset - it's been a great little machine. Not sure how the
    > current set of motherboards and chipsets compare though. As for the big
    > brands, I've always been partial to IBMs myself (purely subjective

    though).

    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Can you recommend any resellers that could kit one of these out for me?

    Ben
    Ben, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Ben

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:05:40 +0000, Ben wrote:

    > Can you recommend any resellers that could kit one of these out for me?

    Dunno many Auckland resellers. Maybe LCS? Lingo Computer Systems -
    http://www.lingo.co.nz

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 9, 2003