Repost: Status on few things

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Juan Jansen, May 21, 2005.

  1. Juan Jansen

    Juan Jansen Guest

    1. Whats the status about Powertoys (will they be recompiled for x64) if so
    when?
    2. Whats the status about the incorrect GPT documentation? (copy of message a
    below)
    They were looking into it... any date on when it will be changed/fixed?
    3. When can we expect the Windows Update function to work correctly (without
    the need to open 32-bit IE) in Help & Support?

    GPT Thread (confirmed by Joseph, and told it is under investigation)

    Hi,

    On the following website

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/64bit/default.mspx

    There is some info about 64-bit platforms, but some of the info is only discussing
    IA64 platforms, while its valid for x64, with some exceptions, wich aren't told.
    It was promised that this would be updated by the RTM Release...

    But some info is not adjusted/changed/added to be valid for x64

    - GPT info > Only explaining GPT in IA64 context, most info is valid for x64, but not all

    GUID Partition Table (GPT) and Master Boot Record (MBR) MBR System Disk Conversion for 64-bit Windows (And some pics aren't showing)
    Windows and GPT FAQ

    Greetings

    Juan Jansen

    Juan Jansen, May 21, 2005

  2. The same status as they were before.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2005

  3. Nothing has changed, nor would I expect them to change. Give everyone a bit
    of a break, here. Yes, the docs need to be changed. But as someone who makes
    a living writing, and who has dealt with the change process at MS, I can
    assure you that it won't happen overnight. :) But given that Joseph said it
    was being looked into, I'm reasonably confident that someone will get the
    assignment, do the change, and eventually get it through the change process.
    On powertoys? Given that they are un-supported, skunkworks projects, they
    may, or they may not get done. And certainly no time line will be proposed.
    But I'm sure when and if they are available, you see about it here. And on
    the last one? Maybe never, maybe sooner. Having to open 32-bit IE is hardly
    the end of the world, and I suspect this is fairly low down the list.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2005
  4. "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > Nothing has changed, nor would I expect them to change. Give everyone a bit
    > of a break, here. Yes, the docs need to be changed. But as someone who makes
    > a living writing, and who has dealt with the change process at MS, I can
    > assure you that it won't happen overnight. :) But given that Joseph said it
    > was being looked into, I'm reasonably confident that someone will get the
    > assignment, do the change, and eventually get it through the change process.
    > On powertoys? Given that they are un-supported, skunkworks projects, they
    > may, or they may not get done. And certainly no time line will be proposed.
    > But I'm sure when and if they are available, you see about it here. And on
    > the last one? Maybe never, maybe sooner. Having to open 32-bit IE is hardly
    > the end of the world, and I suspect this is fairly low down the list.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    >
    > Juan Jansen wrote:
    > > 1. Whats the status about Powertoys (will they be recompiled for x64)
    > > if so
    > > when?
    > > 2. Whats the status about the incorrect GPT documentation? (copy of
    > > message a
    > > below)
    > > They were looking into it... any date on when it will be
    > > changed/fixed?
    > > 3. When can we expect the Windows Update function to work correctly
    > > (without
    > > the need to open 32-bit IE) in Help & Support?
    > >
    > > GPT Thread (confirmed by Joseph, and told it is under investigation)
    > >

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > On the following website
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/64bit/default.mspx
    > >
    > > There is some info about 64-bit platforms, but some of the info is
    > > only discussing
    > > IA64 platforms, while its valid for x64, with some exceptions, wich
    > > aren't told.
    > > It was promised that this would be updated by the RTM Release...
    > >
    > > But some info is not adjusted/changed/added to be valid for x64
    > >
    > > - GPT info > Only explaining GPT in IA64 context, most info is valid
    > > for x64, but not all
    > >
    > > GUID Partition Table (GPT) and Master Boot Record (MBR) MBR System
    > > Disk Conversion for 64-bit Windows (And some pics aren't showing)
    > > Windows and GPT FAQ
    > >

    > > Greetings
    > >
    > > Juan Jansen

    It seems to me that the safest approach is to look for x64 or AMD64 or EM64T
    to interpret any reference usable by such platforms ; as far as GPT, I have
    seen a few pages on the Microsoft site indicating that it is only applicable
    to IA64, and unless the EFI (Intel) BIOS implementation reaches the x64
    world, there is no risk of someone using GPT on x64. I agree that someone who
    would for instance move a GPT disk from an Itanium to an Opteron machine
    might be in for a surprise, but hopefully autochk would not destroy all the
    partitions....

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, May 22, 2005
  5. 1. Dont know on PowerToys
    2. Said it was being looked into, its been written. Waiting on our
    internal processes to get it out online.
    3. I can ask around about WU, right now there hasnt been a need for it in
    64bit as there arent any updates atm.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 23, 2005
  6. Has anyone tried the PowerToys after replacing the 64-bit shell with the
    32-bit one? Would be nice to know.

    See
    http://www.extended64.com/blogs/bhpaddock/archive/2005/05/22/539.aspx
    for details on the shell swap.

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 23, 2005
  7. Sorry, I'm not about to replace the shell. Yes, I know I _can_ do it, but I
    think that misses the point. There's no power toy I need enough to start
    reducing my shell down to 32 bit. About the only concessions I make are using
    the 32-bit IE, and occasionally the 32-bit windows explorer.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 23, 2005