    I'm not complaining, seeings how its free, but what does this really
    mean to me. Would using xp's remote desktop support these things?

    Thank you for your time.

    DJCode, May 13, 2005

  2. DJCode

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, DJCode mused:

    | I don't see my hours old post or any replies to it, so here goes
    | again.
    |
    | Does anyone have advice or experience either way about using these
    | apps? Does one have virtue over the other even if all I'll be using
    | it with is Windows and probably 90% xp?
    |
    | If was on the server side and running as admin, would that be a
    | really bad idea? Even if I trusted and was watching the client?
    |
    | The free addition download page of RealVNC refers to it not
    | supporting server authentication, session encryption and tamper
    | proofing, or one port http and vnc, or even windows authentication.
    | I'm not complaining, seeings how its free, but what does this really
    | mean to me. Would using xp's remote desktop support these things?
    |
    | Thank you for your time.

    www.ultravnc.com ... encryption via plugin, MS authentication, file
    transfers ... easier than Remote Desktop!

    mhicaoidh, May 13, 2005

  3. DJCode

    DJCode Guest

    mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, DJCode mused:
    > |
    > | I don't see my hours old post or any replies to it, so here goes
    > | again.
    > |
    > | Does anyone have advice or experience either way about using these
    > | apps? Does one have virtue over the other even if all I'll be using
    > | it with is Windows and probably 90% xp?
    > |
    > | If was on the server side and running as admin, would that be a
    > | really bad idea? Even if I trusted and was watching the client?
    > |
    > | The free addition download page of RealVNC refers to it not
    > | supporting server authentication, session encryption and tamper
    > | proofing, or one port http and vnc, or even windows authentication.
    > | I'm not complaining, seeings how its free, but what does this really
    > | mean to me. Would using xp's remote desktop support these things?
    > |
    > | Thank you for your time.
    >
    > www.ultravnc.com ... encryption via plugin, MS authentication, file
    > transfers ... easier than Remote Desktop!

    Ok, you get these things if you pay for them only, right? And I take
    it then, they aren't already available in remote desktop?

    DJCode, May 13, 2005
  4. DJCode

    Bill Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 04:25:12 -0500, DJCode <> wrote:

    >mhicaoidh wrote:
    >> Taking a moment's reflection, DJCode mused:
    >> |
    >> | I don't see my hours old post or any replies to it, so here goes
    >> | again.
    >> |
    >> | Does anyone have advice or experience either way about using these
    >> | apps? Does one have virtue over the other even if all I'll be using
    >> | it with is Windows and probably 90% xp?
    >> |
    >> | If was on the server side and running as admin, would that be a
    >> | really bad idea? Even if I trusted and was watching the client?
    >> |
    >> | The free addition download page of RealVNC refers to it not
    >> | supporting server authentication, session encryption and tamper
    >> | proofing, or one port http and vnc, or even windows authentication.
    >> | I'm not complaining, seeings how its free, but what does this really
    >> | mean to me. Would using xp's remote desktop support these things?
    >> |
    >> | Thank you for your time.
    >>
    >> www.ultravnc.com ... encryption via plugin, MS authentication, file
    >> transfers ... easier than Remote Desktop!
    >>

    >Ok, you get these things if you pay for them only, right? And I take
    >it then, they aren't already available in remote desktop?

    UltraVNC is free. Didn't you click on the link?

    Using it presupposes that you have a static ip address or use
    something like dyndns.org to alias your dynamic ip on whatever pc(s)
    will be 'server'

    Install UltraVNC on your pc. It comes in two "parts" Server and Viewer
    - although they are both in one download. Get it here:
    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/download.htm

    The machine in 'server' mode is the machine that will be controlled.
    The machine in 'viewer' mode is the machine that does the controlling.

    If you want to use an SSH tunnel, see here for one possibility that I
    use:
    http://pigtail.net/LRP/vnc/index.html or look at OpenVPN which I think
    is the same. However, replace TightVNC with UltraVNC

    If not using SSH, on whatever machine will be server, forward port
    5900. There is another option that uses a java viewer. If you want to
    do that, you also forward 5800, IIRC. But, see directions on UltraVNC
    page.

    FOR THE SC (Single click) VERSION:
    This is the cool part.

    1) Set up UltraVNC on your pc.

    2) Forward port 5500 to your pc

    3) Create a TightVNC 'SC' version by following instructions here
    http://www.uvnc.net/index.php?section=12
    You will download custom.zip, extract and edit helpdesk.txt and then
    zip everything back up and "create" an exe by uploading your new,
    custom, renamed zip file here http://www.uvnc.net/index.php?section=19
    login=foo pswd=foobar

    It will upload an exe to your pc. The exe is a mini-server (167k) that
    you can email. You put your machine in viewer listen mode. He runs
    your exe and it puts his pc in server mode and pokes thru his firewall
    to your viewer which is listening for him. It ONLY goes to your viewer
    because you edited that in the helpdesk.txt file.

    Instructions for encryption are here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~msrc4plugin/index.html

    Once you create the exe, you can send it to anyone and be able to
    remotely control their machines. Either party can break the connection
    at any time.

    General
    http://forum.ultravnc.net/index.php

    Single Click
    http://forum.ultravnc.net/viewforum.php?f=15

    Regards,

    Bill

    Bill, May 13, 2005
  5. DJCode

    DJCode Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 04:25:12 -0500, DJCode <> wrote:
    >

    >>mhicaoidh wrote:
    >>
    >>>Taking a moment's reflection, DJCode mused:

    >>> www.ultravnc.com ... encryption via plugin, MS authentication, file
    >>>transfers ... easier than Remote Desktop!
    >>>

    >>Ok, you get these things if you pay for them only, right? And I take
    >>it then, they aren't already available in remote desktop?

    > UltraVNC is free. Didn't you click on the link?

    No I didn't. Because I was thinking it was the RealVNC link,
    not noticing the difference, I knew at RealVNC those things had to be
    paid for to get.

    > Using it presupposes that you have a static ip address or use
    > something like dyndns.org to alias your dynamic ip on whatever pc(s)
    > will be 'server'

    OK, well, I 'll have to do some reading on that one. I have DSL, but
    its not static, it rarely changes, but does once in a while.

    > Install UltraVNC on your pc. It comes in two "parts" Server and Viewer
    > - although they are both in one download. Get it here:
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/download.htm

    That link doesn't take me anywhere, but I have found it thank you.

    > The machine in 'server' mode is the machine that will be controlled.
    > The machine in 'viewer' mode is the machine that does the controlling.
    >
    > If you want to use an SSH tunnel, see here for one possibility that I
    > use:
    > http://pigtail.net/LRP/vnc/index.html or look at OpenVPN which I think
    > is the same.

    OK

    >However, replace TightVNC with UltraVNC

    Huh?

    > If not using SSH, on whatever machine will be server, forward port
    > 5900. There is another option that uses a java viewer. If you want to
    > do that, you also forward 5800, IIRC. But, see directions on UltraVNC
    > page.
    >
    > FOR THE SC (Single click) VERSION:
    > This is the cool part.
    >
    > 1) Set up UltraVNC on your pc.
    >
    > 2) Forward port 5500 to your pc
    >
    > 3) Create a TightVNC 'SC' version by following instructions here
    > http://www.uvnc.net/index.php?section=12
    > You will download custom.zip, extract and edit helpdesk.txt and then
    > zip everything back up and "create" an exe by uploading your new,
    > custom, renamed zip file here http://www.uvnc.net/index.php?section=19
    > login=foo pswd=foobar
    >
    > It will upload an exe to your pc. The exe is a mini-server (167k) that
    > you can email. You put your machine in viewer listen mode. He runs
    > your exe and it puts his pc in server mode and pokes thru his firewall
    > to your viewer which is listening for him. It ONLY goes to your viewer
    > because you edited that in the helpdesk.txt file.
    >
    > Instructions for encryption are here:
    > http://home.comcast.net/~msrc4plugin/index.html
    >
    > Once you create the exe, you can send it to anyone and be able to
    > remotely control their machines. Either party can break the connection
    > at any time.
    >
    > General
    > http://forum.ultravnc.net/index.php
    >
    > Single Click
    > http://forum.ultravnc.net/viewforum.php?f=15
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Bill

    Thank you for all your help Bill!

    DJCode, May 14, 2005
  6. DJCode

    Bill Guest

    DJCode <> wrote in

    > Bill wrote:

    snip

    >> If you want to use an SSH tunnel, see here for one possibility that I
    >> use:
    >> http://pigtail.net/LRP/vnc/index.html or look at OpenVPN which I
    >> think is the same.

    > OK
    >
    >>However, replace TightVNC with UltraVNC

    > Huh?

    IIRC, the instructions on the "pigtail" site refer to using TightVNC thru
    the VPN tunnel. All I'm suggesting is that you use UltraVNC in those
    instructions instead of TightVNC...

    "OpenVPN" is open source software to create a Virtual Private Network - A
    VPN tunnel.
    The "pigtail" site describes a method of using "Cygwin" (more open
    source but a Linux emulator on Windows) and "PuTTy" to create a VPN
    tunnel using SSH encryption. I like this method because I also use the
    SSH tunnel with Filezilla as my FTP server. And, Cygwin runs as a service
    so you don't have to be logged on to your 'puter to remote access it. It
    only has to be turned on.

    OTOH, you may find that the DSM plugin provided with UltraVNC is enough
    encryption for your needs.

    If you need more help, I'll try to watch this thread - but I don't
    usually check 24hourtechsupport everyday. Likely you'll be able to figure
    it out from the sites I posted.

    Bill

    Bill, May 14, 2005