Repost - laptop cannot find printer on network...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I still have no resolution to this issue. Quick recap: My desktop prints
    flawlessly with the print server but my lap top can't even find it. From the
    laptop, I cannot ping the printserver but the printserver login page comes up
    when I type the IP address in a browser. Please help! (Please see last
    posting below for more information)

    Many thanks!!

    Last posting and response below from 7/18/06: (question originally posted
    7/16)

    Just to clarify - I have tried reinstalling the print server driver on the
    lap top using a CAT 5 cable but the lap top still cannot see the print
    server... pinging to that IP results in "Request timed out..."

    Thanks...

    =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=, Jul 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=

    Lem Guest

    Nitaj wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I still have no resolution to this issue. Quick recap: My desktop prints
    > flawlessly with the print server but my lap top can't even find it. From the
    > laptop, I cannot ping the printserver but the printserver login page comes up
    > when I type the IP address in a browser. Please help! (Please see last
    > posting below for more information)
    >
    > Many thanks!!
    >
    > Last posting and response below from 7/18/06: (question originally posted
    > 7/16)
    >
    > Just to clarify - I have tried reinstalling the print server driver on the
    > lap top using a CAT 5 cable but the lap top still cannot see the print
    > server... pinging to that IP results in "Request timed out..."
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > "DavidT" wrote:
    >
    >> I believe you must install the print server on the laptop just like you did
    >> on the PC...ie install the software while you are connected to the
    >> printserver with CAT 5 ....
    >>
    >> "Nitaj" <> wrote in message
    >>> The print server model is a Linksys Wireless-G WPS54GU2 for USB 2.0.
    >>>
    >>> The router model is Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G v.5 .
    >>>
    >>> Right now, the print server communicates with the router wirelessly. I
    >>> can
    >>> successfully print from my desk top and surf the internet.
    >>>
    >>> I had tired to connect to the print server wirelessly from my lap top as
    >>> well but the print server can not be found. I tried plugging the print
    >>> server directly into the laptop using a network cable but no go.
    >>>
    >>> I tried connecting the print server to the router via a network cable to
    >>> see
    >>> if that would make a difference with the laptop but nothing happened
    >>> either.
    >>>
    >>> From the laptop, I can ping all IP addresses except for the print server.
    >>>
    >>> Please let me know if you need more info...
    >>>
    >>> Thanking you in advance...

    In your first post, you gave the IP address of the router and the print
    server. Is the IP address of the laptop 192.168.1.xxx? Laptop subnet
    mask 255.255.255.0? Checked for _all_ firewalls on the laptop (including
    both Windows firewall and firewall-like features of some a/v apps)?

    You could also try MSP Hans-Georg Michna's network troubleshooter at
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    Lem, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Hi Lem,

    I just want to thank you so much. Your link to "MSP Hans-Georg Michna's
    network troubleshooter" (http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm) led me on the right
    path. In the process, I ran a couple of audit programs - one being Belarc
    and I discovered that TrendMicro Internet Security components was still
    installed on my pc although I had attemped to uninstall it several weeks ago.
    In a nutshell, TrendMicro was blocking the printserver IP address and as
    soon as it was fully removed using their "PCCTool.exe" executable (1),
    everything worked fine. After I reinstalled the print server drivers, I can
    now ping the print server's IP address and I can now print!

    Thanks so much for your excellent advice!!

    ----------------
    (1)Detailed info:
    The standard software removal failed so I used TrendMicro's "PCCTool.exe"
    -- for detailed instructions, go to TrendMicro's support site:
    http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=en-117000.
    I had so many problems with this TrendMicro application after installing it
    on my WinXP Tablet PC that I NOT EVER recommend at all. User beware!

    =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=, Aug 1, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=

    Lem Guest

    Nitaj wrote:
    > Hi Lem,
    >
    > I just want to thank you so much. Your link to "MSP Hans-Georg Michna's
    > network troubleshooter" (http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm) led me on the right
    > path. In the process, I ran a couple of audit programs - one being Belarc
    > and I discovered that TrendMicro Internet Security components was still
    > installed on my pc although I had attemped to uninstall it several weeks ago.
    > In a nutshell, TrendMicro was blocking the printserver IP address and as
    > soon as it was fully removed using their "PCCTool.exe" executable (1),
    > everything worked fine. After I reinstalled the print server drivers, I can
    > now ping the print server's IP address and I can now print!
    >
    > Thanks so much for your excellent advice!!
    >
    > ----------------
    > (1)Detailed info:
    > The standard software removal failed so I used TrendMicro's "PCCTool.exe"
    > -- for detailed instructions, go to TrendMicro's support site:
    > http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=en-117000.
    > I had so many problems with this TrendMicro application after installing it
    > on my WinXP Tablet PC that I NOT EVER recommend at all. User beware!
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Nitaj wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I still have no resolution to this issue. Quick recap: My desktop prints
    >>> flawlessly with the print server but my lap top can't even find it. From the
    >>> laptop, I cannot ping the printserver but the printserver login page comes up
    >>> when I type the IP address in a browser. Please help! (Please see last
    >>> posting below for more information)
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks!!
    >>>
    >>> Last posting and response below from 7/18/06: (question originally posted
    >>> 7/16)
    >>>
    >>> Just to clarify - I have tried reinstalling the print server driver on the
    >>> lap top using a CAT 5 cable but the lap top still cannot see the print
    >>> server... pinging to that IP results in "Request timed out..."
    >>>
    >>> Thanks...

    >> In your first post, you gave the IP address of the router and the print
    >> server. Is the IP address of the laptop 192.168.1.xxx? Laptop subnet
    >> mask 255.255.255.0? Checked for _all_ firewalls on the laptop (including
    >> both Windows firewall and firewall-like features of some a/v apps)?
    >>
    >> You could also try MSP Hans-Georg Michna's network troubleshooter at
    >> http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.
    Lem, Aug 1, 2006