    Any suggestions that might help?

    Goodwill,
    Luke
    TheStoneCrusher, Jul 7, 2010

  2. TheStoneCrusher

    chuckcar Guest

    "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in
    news:4c351710$0$31286$:

    > I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see
    > my external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell
    > Dimension XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
    >
    > I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by
    > Toshiba. I sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an
    > email to Fujitsu and they confirmed the nothing.
    >
    > I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
    > option) with no difference.
    >
    > I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
    > light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
    > ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
    > for a disk to be installed.
    >
    > Any suggestions that might help?

    A *disk* or a disk with *drivers*?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 8, 2010

  3. TheStoneCrusher

    PeeCee Guest

    "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in message
    > I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see my
    > external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell Dimension
    > XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
    >
    > I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by Toshiba.
    > sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an email to Fujitsu
    > and
    > they confirmed the nothing.
    >
    > I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
    > option)
    > with no difference.
    >
    > I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The light
    > comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some ports a new
    > external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks for a disk to
    > be installed.
    >
    > Any suggestions that might help?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    Luke

    Three possibilities come to mind.
    (I'm working on the assumption the drive is a 2.5" Port powered one)

    1. The drive or electronics are faulty.
    Unlikely if you can plug it into other PC's / Laptops and it works 100%.
    I have seen External Hard drives (2.5" port powered) that are marginal.
    In this case you should get inconsistent results across a range of PC's
    suggesting the drive may be returnable under warranty.

    2. The cable is faulty.
    eg You've added an extension, or used a third party cable.
    I got caught with this today, Bought a short (16CM) USB A to USB Mini B for
    use on an external HD.
    It simply 'would not work' , replacing the cable with the original supplied
    with the drive and it worked properly.
    I note you've used all the ports on your PC so that suggests it's not down
    to the PC's internal wiring.

    3 Your PC's USB ports are not quite up to spec.
    Ran across this one recently on two PC's that wouldn't drive front panel
    Card readers USB ports properly.
    The same Readers worked fine on other motherboards, but not on these ones.
    Having said that, in your case I note (again) your problem is common to all
    of your USB ports which makes this unlikely.

    Of the three possibilities #1 should be easy to determine. If it works in
    many other PC's it's not the drive.
    The harder one is when you have a combination of #2 & #3.
    In this case you are going to get finger pointing by the PC maker and the
    drive maker.
    Sometimes it is easiest to just cut your losses and quit it to someone that
    it works for and go buy a new one.

    Note you should be dealing with the external drive vendor not
    Fujitsu/Toshiba.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 8, 2010
  4. "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see
    >> my external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell
    >> Dimension XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
    >>
    >> I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by
    >> Toshiba. I sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an
    >> email to Fujitsu and they confirmed the nothing.
    >>
    >> I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
    >> option) with no difference.
    >>
    >> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
    >> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
    >> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
    >> for a disk to be installed.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions that might help?
    >>

    > A *disk* or a disk with *drivers*?
    >

    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    It asks for a disk to be put in the drive!!!
    TheStoneCrusher, Jul 8, 2010
  5. "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:36:48 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
    >>> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
    >>> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
    >>> for a disk to be installed.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions that might help?
    >>>

    >>A *disk* or a disk with *drivers*?

    > Serious chucktard?
    >
    > First, when was the last time you needed a 'disk with drivers' for a
    > USB hard drive?

    Never

    > Second, what error message do you know of that says "Please insert a
    > disk with drivers" in it in Windows?

    No! It just says to insert a disk into drive F:/

    > "Please insert a disk into drive <X>:"
    >
    > http://joshitha.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/g1-insert-a-disk-error2.jpg
    >
    > Pretty common Windows error.

    Is this an invite for dinner?

    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    Let me see now . . . I have had two solutions out of 13 postings. I've had
    more people expose their crudeness rather than their intelligence.
    TheStoneCrusher, Jul 8, 2010
  6. "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in message
    >> I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see my
    >> external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell Dimension
    >> XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
    >>
    >> I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by Toshiba.
    >> sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an email to Fujitsu
    >> and
    >> they confirmed the nothing.
    >>
    >> I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
    >> option)
    >> with no difference.
    >>
    >> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
    >> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
    >> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
    >> for a disk to be installed.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions that might help?
    >>
    >> Goodwill,
    >> Luke
    >>

    > Luke
    >
    > Three possibilities come to mind.
    > (I'm working on the assumption the drive is a 2.5" Port powered one)
    >
    > 1. The drive or electronics are faulty.
    > Unlikely if you can plug it into other PC's / Laptops and it works 100%.
    > I have seen External Hard drives (2.5" port powered) that are marginal.
    > In this case you should get inconsistent results across a range of PC's
    > suggesting the drive may be returnable under warranty.
    >
    > 2. The cable is faulty.
    > eg You've added an extension, or used a third party cable.
    > I got caught with this today, Bought a short (16CM) USB A to USB Mini B
    > for use on an external HD.
    > It simply 'would not work' , replacing the cable with the original
    > supplied with the drive and it worked properly.
    > I note you've used all the ports on your PC so that suggests it's not down
    > to the PC's internal wiring.
    >
    > 3 Your PC's USB ports are not quite up to spec.
    > Ran across this one recently on two PC's that wouldn't drive front panel
    > Card readers USB ports properly.
    > The same Readers worked fine on other motherboards, but not on these ones.
    > Having said that, in your case I note (again) your problem is common to
    > all of your USB ports which makes this unlikely.
    >
    > Of the three possibilities #1 should be easy to determine. If it works in
    > many other PC's it's not the drive.
    > The harder one is when you have a combination of #2 & #3.
    > In this case you are going to get finger pointing by the PC maker and the
    > drive maker.
    > Sometimes it is easiest to just cut your losses and quit it to someone
    > that it works for and go buy a new one.
    >
    > Note you should be dealing with the external drive vendor not
    > Fujitsu/Toshiba.
    >

    > Best
    > Paul.

    Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. Unfortunately I cannot deal with
    the vendor. It is a long boring story but the drive was originally in my
    laptop and the Dell tech said it was defective even though it tested OK.
    Once I removed the drive I put it in a USB case and formatted (full) it. I
    then ran some HD utilities I have and it tested OK.

    I have four USB ports. Usually three out of four show that phony disk drive
    F:/ and on some occasions only two out of four show it. I have used three
    different cables with the same result.

    Someone suggested to me that it was a problem with the IRQs!!! I have no
    idea how to deal with that. He said that there was a limited number and
    that some 'hardware' that I no longer use is probably assigned to one of the
    IRQs - whatever that means.
    Goodwill,
    Luke
    TheStoneCrusher, Jul 8, 2010
  7. "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:45:08 +1200, "PeeCee" <>wrote:
    >
    >>Luke
    >>
    >>Three possibilities come to mind.
    >>(I'm working on the assumption the drive is a 2.5" Port powered one)
    >>
    >>1. The drive or electronics are faulty.
    >>Unlikely if you can plug it into other PC's / Laptops and it works 100%.
    >>I have seen External Hard drives (2.5" port powered) that are marginal.
    >>In this case you should get inconsistent results across a range of PC's
    >>suggesting the drive may be returnable under warranty.

    > I've seen USB flash do the same thing. It's the port or the
    > connection.

    Thank you for your reply. It does not work in any of my four ports and I
    TheStoneCrusher, Jul 8, 2010
  8. TheStoneCrusher

    chuckcar Guest

    "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see
    >>> my external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell
    >>> Dimension XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
    >>>
    >>> I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by
    >>> Toshiba. I sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an
    >>> email to Fujitsu and they confirmed the nothing.
    >>>
    >>> I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
    >>> option) with no difference.
    >>>
    >>> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
    >>> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
    >>> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
    >>> for a disk to be installed.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions that might help?
    >>>

    >> A *disk* or a disk with *drivers*?
    >>

    > It asks for a disk to be put in the drive!!!

    And what does disk management say about the drive?

    BTW *any* usb device (or for that matter *any* hardware used by windows)
    *requires* a driver period. Specifically in this case the ide port and
    hardware *in* your caddy.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 9, 2010
  9. TheStoneCrusher

    chuckcar Guest

    "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. Unfortunately I cannot deal
    > with the vendor. It is a long boring story but the drive was
    > originally in my laptop and the Dell tech said it was defective even
    > though it tested OK. Once I removed the drive I put it in a USB case
    > and formatted (full) it. I then ran some HD utilities I have and it
    > tested OK.
    >
    > I have four USB ports. Usually three out of four show that phony disk
    > drive F:/ and on some occasions only two out of four show it. I have
    > used three different cables with the same result.
    >
    > Someone suggested to me that it was a problem with the IRQs!!! I have
    > no idea how to deal with that. He said that there was a limited
    > number and that some 'hardware' that I no longer use is probably
    > assigned to one of the IRQs - whatever that means.

    Pure nonsence. Unless you're *only* using ISA cards (something that hasn't
    been used this century) it's not a problem. PCI uses IRQ holders. You can
    even see multiple ones under system in device manager.

    Have you tried removing the drive, uninstalling the drivers for the caddy,
    rebooting and then reinstalling those drivers?

    Do you have anything like Alcohol 110% installed (used for writing ISO
    files to CD)? It uses a virtual drive to emulate a real one.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 9, 2010
  10. TheStoneCrusher

    Aardvark Guest

    Re: REPOST: I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 andit cannot see my

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:32:41 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > nonsence

    WTF?????

    Aardvark, Jul 9, 2010