Report on Philips DVPS140

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Guest, Oct 5, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've gone through 5 DVD players looking for an inexpensive one that doesn't
    have bunch of significant flaws. Every one of them has an inexcusable
    design failure--usually more than one! As I rejected one after another, I
    made up a list of what a decent player should do:

    1. Cost less than $50
    2. Have an informative front panel display that can be read in normal room
    light.
    3. Remote control that can be operated without actually reading the label.
    i.e. one that isn't simply a rectangular array of identical buttons. If
    properly designed, you should be able to find the function you're looking
    for without reading the instruction manual, or using a flashlight.
    4. Should play everything, including homemade DVDR's; and that includes
    dual-layer ones!
    5. It should play DivX, compressed audio formats such as mp3, mp4, wma,
    etc.
    6. It shouldn't be picky about the quality of the DVD; I don't like
    frequent hangups or pixellization.
    7. Can remember where you left off when interrupting a movie to play a
    different one. 2 of my players would remember where it left off--IF you
    didn't remove the DVD from the drawer. But that's not good enough.
    8. FF and REV should have a full set of speeds differeng by a factor of 2,
    such as X2,4,8,16,32. None of my existing players has all the speeds;
    there are always a few left off.

    I finally read a post from someone that had good results playing DVD+R
    dual-layer discs on the Philips DVPS140, which sells for $50 at Target. I
    bought one--and it's wonderful. It has all the features mentioned above,
    and it will remember where you left off on the last 5 discs played. I have
    yet to come across a disc it won't play. Best yet, my wife can operate it
    with only one day of instruction. She never did manage to learn any of the
    others.

    Check it out!

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Oct 5, 2007

  2. Guest

    nick Guest

    Can only find a Philips DVP5140, but NOT a DVPS140.

    You sure about the model number??

    nick, Oct 5, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "nick" <> wrote in message news:IGuNi.16$8F.7@trnddc05...
    > Can only find a Philips DVP5140, but NOT a DVPS140.
    >
    > You sure about the model number?

    Good catch. I made a typo. 5140 is indeed correct. That's what 76 year
    old eyes will do to you.

    Norm

    Guest, Oct 5, 2007
  4. Guest

    sandy58 Guest

    On Oct 5, 11:49 pm, <> wrote:
    > "nick" <> wrote in messagenews:IGuNi.16$8F.7@trnddc05...
    > > Can only find a Philips DVP5140, but NOT a DVPS140.

    > > You sure about the model number?

    > Good catch. I made a typo. 5140 is indeed correct. That's what 76 year
    > old eyes will do to you.
    >
    > Norm

    Yeah, I know what you mean, Norm........and yer only 40, too:)

    sandy58, Oct 6, 2007
  5. Guest

    UncleDave Guest

    <> wrote in message

    snip

    Best yet, my wife can operate it
    > with only one day of instruction.

    This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
    retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.

    --- Uncle Dave

    UncleDave, Oct 6, 2007
  6. On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:07:12 -0700, <> wrote:

    >I've gone through 5 DVD players looking for an inexpensive one that doesn't
    >have bunch of significant flaws. Every one of them has an inexcusable
    >design failure--usually more than one! As I rejected one after another, I
    >made up a list of what a decent player should do:
    >
    >1. Cost less than $50
    >2. Have an informative front panel display that can be read in normal room
    >light.
    >3. Remote control that can be operated without actually reading the label.
    >i.e. one that isn't simply a rectangular array of identical buttons. If
    >properly designed, you should be able to find the function you're looking
    >for without reading the instruction manual, or using a flashlight.
    >4. Should play everything, including homemade DVDR's; and that includes
    >dual-layer ones!
    >5. It should play DivX, compressed audio formats such as mp3, mp4, wma,
    >etc.
    >6. It shouldn't be picky about the quality of the DVD; I don't like
    >frequent hangups or pixellization.
    >7. Can remember where you left off when interrupting a movie to play a
    >different one. 2 of my players would remember where it left off--IF you
    >didn't remove the DVD from the drawer. But that's not good enough.
    >8. FF and REV should have a full set of speeds differeng by a factor of 2,
    >such as X2,4,8,16,32. None of my existing players has all the speeds;
    >there are always a few left off.
    >
    >I finally read a post from someone that had good results playing DVD+R
    >dual-layer discs on the Philips DVPS140, which sells for $50 at Target. I
    >bought one--and it's wonderful. It has all the features mentioned above,
    >and it will remember where you left off on the last 5 discs played. I have
    >yet to come across a disc it won't play. Best yet, my wife can operate it
    >with only one day of instruction. She never did manage to learn any of the
    >others.
    >
    >Check it out!
    >
    >Norm Strong

    They should have included APE, OGG and FLAC lossless audio formats.

    **** MP3s!

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 6, 2007
  7. On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 06:34:24 -0700, sandy58 <> wrote:

    >On Oct 5, 11:49 pm, <> wrote:
    >> "nick" <> wrote in messagenews:IGuNi.16$8F.7@trnddc05...
    >> > Can only find a Philips DVP5140, but NOT a DVPS140.

    >> > You sure about the model number?

    >> Good catch. I made a typo. 5140 is indeed correct. That's what 76 year
    >> old eyes will do to you.
    >>
    >> Norm

    >Yeah, I know what you mean, Norm........and yer only 40, too:)

    It's all that jacking off he does to all those porn DVDs he has ripped.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 6, 2007
  8. Guest

    Tarkus Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > They should have included APE, OGG and FLAC lossless audio formats.
    >
    > **** MP3s!

    If you're that discriminating, I'm pretty sure it will play audio CDs,
    then you can listen to all the "lossless" music you want.

    Tarkus, Oct 6, 2007
  9. On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:54:16 -0700, Tarkus <>
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> They should have included APE, OGG and FLAC lossless audio formats.
    >>
    >> **** MP3s!

    >If you're that discriminating, I'm pretty sure it will play audio CDs,
    >then you can listen to all the "lossless" music you want.

    The point was that these "modern" players should be codec rich.

    They only cater to the crowd that cries the most, otherwise, you would
    not even be seeing Divx support.

    Whereas my suggestion makes a lot of sense, since these things are
    supposed to be part of folks audio/video systems. They should have the
    best possible playback features in them.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 6, 2007
  10. Guest

    Tarkus Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:54:16 -0700, Tarkus <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >>> They should have included APE, OGG and FLAC lossless audio formats.
    >>>
    >>> **** MP3s!

    >> If you're that discriminating, I'm pretty sure it will play audio CDs,
    >> then you can listen to all the "lossless" music you want.

    > The point was that these "modern" players should be codec rich.
    >
    > They only cater to the crowd that cries the most, otherwise, you would
    > not even be seeing Divx support.
    >
    > Whereas my suggestion makes a lot of sense, since these things are
    > supposed to be part of folks audio/video systems. They should have the
    > best possible playback features in them.

    They should have what their target market wants. They're in business to
    make money, not to cater to audiophiles. I'm guessing most audiophiles
    spend more than $50 on their DVD player anyway, especially if they're
    going to use it to play music.

    It's not about who cries the most; it's about meeting demand. If there
    was more demand (not cries) for lossless codecs, then I'm certain you'd
    see more companies meeting that demand.

    If you choose to belong to a niche group, you have to accept the
    disadvantages that come along with that.

    Tarkus, Oct 6, 2007
  11. On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 10:48:27 -0700, Tarkus <>
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:54:16 -0700, Tarkus <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> If you're that discriminating, I'm pretty sure it will play audio CDs,
    >>> then you can listen to all the "lossless" music you want.

    >> The point was that these "modern" players should be codec rich.
    >>
    >> They only cater to the crowd that cries the most, otherwise, you would
    >> not even be seeing Divx support.
    >>
    >> Whereas my suggestion makes a lot of sense, since these things are
    >> supposed to be part of folks audio/video systems. They should have the
    >> best possible playback features in them.

    >They should have what their target market wants. They're in business to
    >make money, not to cater to audiophiles. I'm guessing most audiophiles
    >spend more than $50 on their DVD player anyway, especially if they're
    >going to use it to play music.
    >
    >It's not about who cries the most; it's about meeting demand. If there
    >was more demand (not cries) for lossless codecs, then I'm certain you'd
    >see more companies meeting that demand.
    >
    >If you choose to belong to a niche group, you have to accept the
    >disadvantages that come along with that.

    Niche group? Sorry dude, but some of those $50 players have DTS and 7.1
    audio. So they are keyed toward nice systems, regardless of what you
    biases are.

    The only reason there isn't as much demand is because MP3 has become
    the de facto standard, even though its quality sucks pretty badly. Also,
    the lossless standards use more disc space per song, and since you guys
    are so wussified that a player that has a higher price tag than $50
    scares you, I am quite sure that a nice new, sub 30 cent per GB hard
    drive is beyond these childish dweebs' capacity to see a good value when
    it is there. Much less the fact that we place file onto DVDs and HD DVDs
    and BR DVDs now, not CDs. So the file size issue should not be one. If
    you guys had half the brains you claim to have, you'd all be using
    lossless codecs by now, but since I am talking to the iPUD crowd, I doubt
    that will ever happen.

    Pay more for less, then jump on those that know REAL quality.

    Good job, iPUD Tard!

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 6, 2007
  12. Guest

    nick Guest

    My year-old DVD player was having some "pixellation" problems
    with a couple of disks, mostly home burned. So I thought it was
    the disk's problem. Then I reread your note and trouped off
    to Target where the DVP5140 is on sale for 40 bucks. Snatched
    one up feeling I could always return it. But it works great!
    All the disks with the pixellation probs play fine now.

    Gotta say THANKS!!!

    nick

    nick, Oct 9, 2007
  13. Guest

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <pFLOi.2482$ln.2112@trnddc07>, nick <> wrote:
    >My year-old DVD player was having some "pixellation" problems
    >with a couple of disks, mostly home burned. So I thought it was
    >the disk's problem. Then I reread your note and trouped off
    >to Target where the DVP5140 is on sale for 40 bucks. Snatched
    >one up feeling I could always return it. But it works great!
    >All the disks with the pixellation probs play fine now.
    >
    >Gotta say THANKS!!!
    >
    >nick

    Though it looks thin and rickety, the transport on the current Philips
    players is top notch. My in-laws asked me to help with a
    burned-DVD-with-label of a kid's birthday party. It would not read without
    errors on a number of players and computer DVD drives. My DVP5960 played
    it perfectly without a single hiccup.

    Mike S., Oct 9, 2007
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > snip
    >
    > Best yet, my wife can operate it
    >> with only one day of instruction.

    > This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
    > retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.
    >
    > --- Uncle Dave

    I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!

    Norm

    Guest, Oct 9, 2007
  15. On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0700, <> wrote:

    >"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> snip
    >>
    >> Best yet, my wife can operate it
    >>> with only one day of instruction.

    >> This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
    >> retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.
    >>
    >> --- Uncle Dave

    >I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!
    >
    >Norm

    Where, Dude!???

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 9, 2007
  16. Guest

    nick Guest

    Oh yes, the 5140 plays both PAL and NTSC out of the box, and
    there is 10-second hack that will make it region-free as well.

    Wish all DVD players were this flexible!

    nick

    nick, Oct 10, 2007
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "ChairmanOfTheBored" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0700, <> wrote:
    >

    >>"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> snip
    >>>
    >>> Best yet, my wife can operate it
    >>>

    >>> This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
    >>> retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.
    >>>
    >>> --- Uncle Dave

    >>I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!
    >>
    >>Norm
    >>

    > Where, Dude!???

    Target.

    Guest, Oct 10, 2007
  18. On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:47:55 -0700, <> wrote:

    >"ChairmanOfTheBored" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0700, <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message

    >>>I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!
    >>>
    >>>Norm
    >>>

    >> Where, Dude!???

    >Target.

    Thx. They have a cool "inventory" feature which allows one to find out
    if it is in stock, and if not, display all the nearest stores where it
    is!

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 11, 2007
  19. On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0700, <> wrote:

    >"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> snip
    >>
    >> Best yet, my wife can operate it
    >>> with only one day of instruction.

    >> This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
    >> retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.
    >>
    >> --- Uncle Dave

    >I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!
    >
    >Norm

    Checked Target. Says "out of stock" and lists at $59.99

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 11, 2007
  20. Guest

    nick Guest

    > Checked Target. Says "out of stock" and lists at $59.99

    Wullll, here's a tip. Do wot I did. Just walk into the
    flaming store, pick up a DVD player, pay the lady, and
    walk the hell out. T'aint bloody rocket science ya know.

    My Target had about 8 of them all for forty bucks. Each.

    Are you purposely being a troll?? Or just plain stoopid??

    nick, Oct 11, 2007