    Whenever I reply with News Rover, even though I'm quite sure I have it set
    up this way, it does not quote the message I am replying to. Any
    suggestions?
    GrimmElect, Jun 8, 2007

  2. GrimmElect

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:44:20 GMT, GrimmElect wrote:

    >Whenever I reply with News Rover, even though I'm quite sure I have it set
    >up this way, it does not quote the message I am replying to. Any
    >suggestions?

    News Rover - Help
    News Rover - online support / forum

    The newsgroups
    news.newusers.questions - maybe
    news.software.readers

    Guessing you could check the message options

    From the help file -

    The difference between an original message and replying to an existing
    message is that the message editor presents you with a split screen in
    which your reply is on the top and the original message is on the
    bottom. Used in this split screen reply mode, the editor's Edit menu
    includes cut, copy, and paste functions to help the recipient understand
    what you are replying to. Text which is copied in from the original
    message is prepended with a ">" character to indicate this.

    If you notice this is the important bit -

    Text which is copied in from the original message is prepended with a
    ">" character to indicate this.

    Me
    why?, Jun 8, 2007

  3. GrimmElect

    Mike Easter Guest

    GrimmElect wrote:
    > Whenever I reply with News Rover, even though I'm quite sure I have
    > it set up this way, it does not quote the message I am replying to.
    > Any suggestions?

    I recommend using a different newsreader for newsgroup corresponding.

    Newsrover sez this about replying:

    http://www.newsrover.com/features_postnew.htm - "Simply select a
    message and click a button; News Rover will present you with a split
    screen where you can compose your reply in the upper window and read,
    cut and paste from the orginal message in the lower window."

    That is an awkward and unsatisfactory method. If gnksa^1 had evaluated
    newsrover for compliance, it would have failed -- but gnksa didn't even
    bother with rating it.

    ^1 http://www.newsreaders.com/gnksa/cgi/gnksa-form.cgi Good Net-Keeping
    Seal of Approval 2.0 (GNKSA 2.0) for Usenet Software

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 8, 2007
  4. GrimmElect

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > GrimmElect wrote:

    >> Whenever I reply with News Rover, even though I'm quite sure I have
    >> it set up this way, it does not quote the message I am replying to.
    >> Any suggestions?

    > I recommend using a different newsreader for newsgroup corresponding.

    You seem to be having trouble getting a satisfactory news service
    provider and a satisfactory newsreader -- and in two separate instances
    getting 'hooked up' with News Rover by the/your commercial NSP.

    I seem to recall that you were having trouble with the commercial NSP
    usenet.com provider putting an advertising trailer on your message posts
    and having provided you with a 'free' branded version of their News
    Rover newsreader. Now you are using a different commercial NSP provider
    and still 'buying into' the notion of the free News Rover.

    http://www.usenet.com/news_rover.htm Usenet.com members now have the
    exclusive opportunity to get a FREE copy of our customized News Rover
    with their membership!

    http://www.tigerusenet.com/join.php TigerUsenet offers a full-featured
    version of News Rover, worth $29.95 FREE with every subscription.

    It doesn't look to me like the tigerusenet or the usenet.com NSPs are
    particularly a good deal, and it certainly doesn't look like the free
    News Rover is a particularly good deal for corresponding in newsgroups.

    I would be using a different NSP, free or more economical, and I would
    be using a different newsreader - which one I would use would depend on
    how much I was doing with binaries and how much I was doing with
    texting. Perhaps you should have some conversations in the newsgroups
    news.software.readers and/or alt.free.newsservers or
    alt.usenet.news-server-comparison or alt.binaries.news-server-comparison

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 8, 2007
  5. GrimmElect

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > You seem to be having trouble getting a satisfactory news service
    > provider and a satisfactory newsreader -- and in two separate
    > instances getting 'hooked up' with News Rover by the/your commercial
    > NSP.

    > http://www.tigerusenet.com/join.php TigerUsenet offers a
    > full-featured version of News Rover, worth $29.95 FREE with every
    > subscription.

    Here's the problem with tigerusenet and News Rover

    In the tigerusenet faq section I find:

    <sNip>
    Question: I need help downloading News Rover...

    Answer: you will receive a different version of News Rover based upon
    your payment method. the functionality of all versions is the same. to
    download News Rover, you will need to:
    </sNip>

    That's a pretty funky relationship to have all wrapped up between your
    choice of NSP and your choice of newsreader.

    I would get a NSP which didn't require a specific version of News Rover
    in order for me to make my payments. I would get a NSP which gave me a
    good deal on non-expiring block accounts instead of charging me so much
    every month. And I would get a newsreader whose function wasn't
    dependent upon a pre-rigged condition of my NSPs proprietary
    configuration of my newsreader.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 8, 2007
  6. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> GrimmElect wrote:

    >>> Whenever I reply with News Rover, even though I'm quite sure I have
    >>> it set up this way, it does not quote the message I am replying to.
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> I recommend using a different newsreader for newsgroup corresponding.

    > You seem to be having trouble getting a satisfactory news service
    > provider and a satisfactory newsreader -- and in two separate instances
    > getting 'hooked up' with News Rover by the/your commercial NSP.

    Holy crap! Does this make him an actual Candidate For Google Groups?

    Oh...the humanity!

    ;)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 8, 2007
  7. GrimmElect

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> You seem to be having trouble getting a satisfactory news service
    >> provider and a satisfactory newsreader -- and in two separate
    >> instances getting 'hooked up' with News Rover by the/your commercial
    >> NSP.

    > Holy crap! Does this make him an actual Candidate For Google Groups?

    No. My read is that he is wanting to do binaries and he is happy enough
    with News Rover and his chosen somewhat expensive commercial NSPs for
    that purpose -- but the newsrover isn't really good for text newsing. I
    suppose he could do NR for the binaries and 'something else' for the
    texting.

    > Oh...the humanity!

    I do not recommend GG for the text newsing. Any/ some/ other something
    else, not GG.

    > ;)

    :-/ <wry 'grimace'>

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 9, 2007
  8. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> You seem to be having trouble getting a satisfactory news service
    >>> provider and a satisfactory newsreader -- and in two separate
    >>> instances getting 'hooked up' with News Rover by the/your commercial
    >>> NSP.

    >> Holy crap! Does this make him an actual Candidate For Google Groups?

    > No. My read is that he is wanting to do binaries and he is happy enough
    > with News Rover and his chosen somewhat expensive commercial NSPs for
    > that purpose -- but the newsrover isn't really good for text newsing. I
    > suppose he could do NR for the binaries and 'something else' for the
    > texting.
    >
    >> Oh...the humanity!

    > I do not recommend GG for the text newsing. Any/ some/ other something
    > else, not GG.
    >
    >> ;)

    >:-/ <wry 'grimace'>

    Wry not?

    :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 9, 2007
  9. GrimmElect

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Holy crap! Does this make him an actual Candidate For Google
    >>> Groups?

    >>> Oh...the humanity!

    >> :-/ <wry 'grimace'>

    > Wry not?
    >
    > :)

    Errkk.

    Realize that some of us [tinu] read/abide/tolerate/stomach a lot more
    GGers than certain selachimorphs around here.

    Plus I'm always having to log into GG to try a few things out to see
    what is going on (lately/now) in there.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 9, 2007
  10. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> :-/ <wry 'grimace'>

    >> Wry not?
    >>
    >> :)

    > Errkk.

    Sorry. :)

    > Realize that some of us [tinu] read/abide/tolerate/stomach a lot more
    > GGers than certain selachimorphs around here.
    >
    > Plus I'm always having to log into GG to try a few things out to see
    > what is going on (lately/now) in there.

    I don't care what's going on in there. I refuse to encourage its use.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 9, 2007
  11. It was on, or about, Sat, 09 Jun 2007 02:43:55 +0000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Wry not?
    >>>
    >>> :)

    >> Errkk.

    > Sorry. :)
    >
    >> Realize that some of us [tinu] read/abide/tolerate/stomach a lot more
    >> GGers than certain selachimorphs around here.
    >>
    >> Plus I'm always having to log into GG to try a few things out to see
    >> what is going on (lately/now) in there.

    > I don't care what's going on in there. I refuse to encourage its use.

    Deleting the googlegroups filter is like opening a manhole cover on a
    sewer. While it's in place, it's fine, but if you remove it, you get a
    terrible stench.

    --
    Using X-No-Archive suggests the post is of little value &
    not worth archiving. Anyone marking *all* their posts
    William Poaster, Jun 9, 2007
  12. William Poaster wrote:
    > It was on, or about, Sat, 09 Jun 2007 02:43:55 +0000, that as I was
    > halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Errkk.

    >> Sorry. :)
    >>
    >>> Realize that some of us [tinu] read/abide/tolerate/stomach a lot more
    >>> GGers than certain selachimorphs around here.
    >>>
    >>> Plus I'm always having to log into GG to try a few things out to see
    >>> what is going on (lately/now) in there.

    >> I don't care what's going on in there. I refuse to encourage its use.

    > Deleting the googlegroups filter is like opening a manhole cover on a
    > sewer. While it's in place, it's fine, but if you remove it, you get a
    > terrible stench.

    May I use that on my UIP page?

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 9, 2007
  13. It was on, or about, Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:41:08 +0000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> It was on, or about, Sat, 09 Jun 2007 02:43:55 +0000, that as I was
    >> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Sorry. :)

    >>> I don't care what's going on in there. I refuse to encourage its use.

    >> Deleting the googlegroups filter is like opening a manhole cover on a
    >> sewer. While it's in place, it's fine, but if you remove it, you get a
    >> terrible stench.

    > May I use that on my UIP page?

    Yes. :)

    William Poaster, Jun 10, 2007
  14. William Poaster wrote:
    > It was on, or about, Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:41:08 +0000, that as I was
    > halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>> It was on, or about, Sat, 09 Jun 2007 02:43:55 +0000, that as I was

    >>> Deleting the googlegroups filter is like opening a manhole cover on a
    >>> sewer. While it's in place, it's fine, but if you remove it, you get a
    >>> terrible stench.

    >> May I use that on my UIP page?

    > Yes. :)

    Done. Thanks.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 10, 2007
  15. GrimmElect

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    On 8-Jun-2007, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    > "Simply select a
    > message and click a button; News Rover will present you with a split
    > screen where you can compose your reply in the upper window and read,
    > cut and paste from the orginal message in the lower window."

    i use News Rover version 12.3, Rev. 0, which i paid for after a trial run;
    i find it extremely easy to use.
    Cindy Stuart, Jun 11, 2007
  16. GrimmElect

    GrimmElect Guest

    I have TigerUsenet now. It works perfect. I can get binaries and post
    without problems. Also the free version of NewsRover works fine.

    --
    The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has
    its limits.
    GrimmElect, Jun 11, 2007