    the toolbar and it appears that my reply was sent to the sender via my
    regular e-mail to the creator of the message. It hasn't shown up in the
    thread of the message I replied too. I hope this makes sense.

    kwh001, Jan 18, 2007

  2. You should have a "reply group" button. Click that for your reply.

    Mutt and Jeff, Jan 18, 2007

  3. kwh001

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:18:30 -0600, "kwh001" <> wrote:

    >I am using Outlook Express 6.0 as my newsgroup reader. How do you reply to a
    >newsgroup posting? I clicked on the posting and then clicked on "Reply" in
    >the toolbar and it appears that my reply was sent to the sender via my
    >regular e-mail to the creator of the message. It hasn't shown up in the
    >thread of the message I replied too. I hope this makes sense.

    Outlook is crap, but...

    Look for something like "Followup" or "Post Followup", or maybe even
    "Reply to Group".

    Evan Platt, Jan 18, 2007
  4. kwh001

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:21:21 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >Outlook is crap, but...

    Yes, that applies to Outlook and Outlook express.

    Evan Platt, Jan 18, 2007
  5. kwh001

    kwh001 Guest

    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

    kwh001, Jan 18, 2007
  6. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    kwh001 wrote:
    > "Mutt and Jeff"
    >> "kwh001"

    >>> I am using Outlook Express 6.0 as my newsgroup reader. How do you
    >>> reply to a newsgroup posting?

    >> You should have a "reply group" button. Click that for your reply.

    > Thanks, I'll give it a try.

    After you click 'reply group' your cursor will be at the top of the
    preceding post. That is pretty close to where you are supposed to start
    trimming for your contextualization. You skip down past the attribution
    lines, then you start trimming out everything you aren't going to be
    replying to and leave only the exact words which you mean to address.

    Then, you skip an empty line, type in your words, trim away everything
    else below, and sign it if you want to.

    That is proper attributing, trimming, and contextualizing^1. Top
    posting, which you did here, is failing to properly attribute, trim, or
    contextualize. That's what happens if you click 'reply group' and start
    typing right there at the top with your newsreader.

    ^1 http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html Quoting Style in
    Newsgroup Postings

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  7. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > kwh001 wrote:
    >> "Mutt and Jeff"
    >>> "kwh001"

    >>> You should have a "reply group" button. Click that for your reply.

    >> Thanks, I'll give it a try.

    > That is proper attributing, trimming, and contextualizing.

    > Top
    > posting, which you did here, is failing to properly attribute, trim,
    > or contextualize.

    .... and it looks something like this, only yours looks much much much
    worse:

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  8. kwh001

    kwh001 Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > After you click 'reply group' your cursor will be at the top of the
    > preceding post. That is pretty close to where you are supposed to start
    > trimming for your contextualization. You skip down past the attribution
    > lines, then you start trimming out everything you aren't going to be
    > replying to and leave only the exact words which you mean to address.
    >
    > Then, you skip an empty line, type in your words, trim away everything
    > else below, and sign it if you want to.
    >
    > That is proper attributing, trimming, and contextualizing^1. Top
    > posting, which you did here, is failing to properly attribute, trim, or
    > contextualize. That's what happens if you click 'reply group' and start
    > typing right there at the top with your newsreader.

    Thanks Mike for the information. I'll try to get all of this figured out so
    that I can reply properly.

    Keith

    kwh001, Jan 18, 2007
  9. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    kwh001 wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Then, you skip an empty line, type in your words, trim away
    >> everything else below, and sign it if you want to.

    > Thanks Mike for the information. I'll try to get all of this figured
    > out so that I can reply properly.

    You are doing absolutely great. I almost hate to mention anything else,
    but, as long as we're here....

    > Keith

    You signed by typing your name, but your name isn't 'isolated' by a
    /genuine/ proper signature delimiter.

    Your newsreader is

    That version has the capability of putting in a proper signature with a
    delimiter, which older versions of OE could not do.

    The way you do that is to create a sig in OE/ Tools/ Options/
    Signatures, but you do not have it autosign Replies and Forwards [up in
    the top part of that Signatures tab configuration]

    Then, after you get thru' typing your message as you did here, you
    simply click 'Sign' in the Toolbar or use Insert menu/ Signature.

    By putting in your signature in that way, just above Keith there will be
    a dash dash space [you can't see the space]. That dash dash space is a
    proper sig delimiter, and those who have compliant newsreaders can
    autotrim your sig when they reply to you.

    Unfortunately native OE still can't autotrim sigs.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  10. kwh001

    > You signed by typing your name, but your name isn't 'isolated' by a
    > /genuine/ proper signature delimiter.
    >
    > Your newsreader is

    > That version has the capability of putting in a proper signature with a
    > delimiter, which older versions of OE could not do.
    >
    > The way you do that is to create a sig in OE/ Tools/ Options/
    > Signatures, but you do not have it autosign Replies and Forwards [up in
    > the top part of that Signatures tab configuration]
    >
    > Then, after you get thru' typing your message as you did here, you
    > simply click 'Sign' in the Toolbar or use Insert menu/ Signature.
    >
    > By putting in your signature in that way, just above Keith there will be
    > a dash dash space [you can't see the space]. That dash dash space is a
    > proper sig delimiter, and those who have compliant newsreaders can
    > autotrim your sig when they reply to you.

    Thanks Mike for working with me. I hope I'm getting closer.
    --
    Keith

    kwh001, Jan 18, 2007
  11. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    kwh001 wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> You signed by typing your name, but your name isn't 'isolated' by a
    >> /genuine/ proper signature delimiter.

    That time your sig was /almost/ perfect. :)

    Also notice that I commented on my own words in context.

    >> Then, after you get thru' typing your message as you did here, you
    >> simply click 'Sign' in the Toolbar or use Insert menu/ Signature.
    >>
    >> By putting in your signature in that way, just above Keith there
    >> will be a dash dash space [you can't see the space]. That dash dash
    >> space is a proper sig delimiter, and those who have compliant
    >> newsreaders can autotrim your sig when they reply to you.

    > Thanks Mike for working with me. I hope I'm getting closer.

    What an apt student! Your sig was properly delimited, and my newsreader
    which is compliant, was able to autotrim your sig, which is a handy
    feature. I notice that you are doing an excellent job of manually
    trimming my sig while you are doing your trimming and contextualizing.

    The only fine tuning I would suggest would be to put an additonal empty
    line or so after your last words before you hit the sig button. Notice
    that my sig has at least one empty line after my last words before my
    sig.

    The other fine tuning will have to come with practice and experience.
    That is how much of the other person's words to trim away before you put
    your reply. Some people feel that it is 'presumptuous' to be editing
    the other person's words. Other people feel that if they take out any
    of the other person's words, that they should show where the words were
    removed.

    Personally, I remove other people's words a really lot and I don't show
    my editing marks with a <snip> or anything, but I feel obligated to try
    to not change any of the meaning of the other person's words when I
    remove stuff.

    I can't give you a lecture or guidelines about that. You will have to
    find your own way. Suffice it to say that trimming is very very
    important for contextualizers. If you don't trim, the top posters will
    call you a 'bottom poster'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  12. kwh001

    Otter Guest

    In news:45aee1bf$0$97266$,
    Mike Easter <> typed:
    >.

    Any suggestion about OE-QuoteFix?

    Otter, Jan 18, 2007
  13. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    Otter wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    > Any suggestion about OE-QuoteFix?

    I'm a huge fan of OEQF, and would not use /my/ OE without it, but....

    I'm quite a bit unusual in the 'combination' of OS/apps I'm using, which
    plays a significant part in the OEQF decision/recommendation.

    I'm Win98SE [on this machine's current partition], which means that my
    IE is IE6 without SP2 which SP2 is specific to WinXP which I'm not.

    Most Win people are XP, and as a result their IE6 is at least SP2.

    The OE of IE6 SP2 in XP is 'different' than the OE of IE SP1 I am using,
    and the relationship between that OE and OEQF is not quite as 'happy'.

    It is very easy for me to recommend strongly OEQF for my OE
    6.00.2800.1437 -- it is not so easy for me to recommend OEQF for your
    6.00.2900.2869 -- but I would be perfectly happy to hear from you about
    it if you are using it.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  14. kwh001

    > The only fine tuning I would suggest would be to put an additonal empty
    > line or so after your last words before you hit the sig button. Notice
    > that my sig has at least one empty line after my last words before my
    > sig.
    >
    > The other fine tuning will have to come with practice and experience.
    > That is how much of the other person's words to trim away before you put
    > your reply. Some people feel that it is 'presumptuous' to be editing
    > the other person's words. Other people feel that if they take out any
    > of the other person's words, that they should show where the words were
    > removed.
    >
    > Personally, I remove other people's words a really lot and I don't show
    > my editing marks with a <snip> or anything, but I feel obligated to try
    > to not change any of the meaning of the other person's words when I
    > remove stuff.
    >
    > I can't give you a lecture or guidelines about that. You will have to
    > find your own way. Suffice it to say that trimming is very very
    > important for contextualizers. If you don't trim, the top posters will
    > call you a 'bottom poster'.

    Thanks for your time Mike.

    --
    Keith

    kwh001, Jan 18, 2007
  15. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I'm Win98SE [on this machine's current partition],

    .... or now I'm T'bird/ EasyUbuntu

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  16. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    kwh001 wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> The only fine tuning I would suggest would be to put an additonal
    >> empty line or so after your last words before you hit the sig
    >> button.

    >> trimming is very very
    >> important for contextualizers. If you don't trim, the top posters
    >> will call you a 'bottom poster'.

    > Thanks for your time Mike.

    YW. That's shorthand for 'You're welcome.'

    You're also doing great. :)

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  17. kwh001

    Otter Guest

    In news:45aee5a3$0$97258$,
    Mike Easter <> typed:

    > It is very easy for me to recommend strongly OEQF for my OE
    > 6.00.2800.1437 -- it is not so easy for me to recommend OEQF for your
    > 6.00.2900.2869 -- but I would be perfectly happy to hear from you
    > about it if you are using it.

    I am.

    Otter, Jan 18, 2007
  18. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    OMike Easter

    >> I'm Win98SE

    > ... or now I'm T'bird/ EasyUbuntu

    Opera 9 Mail/News EasyUb

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  19. kwh001

    Mike Easter Guest

    Otter wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> It is very easy for me to recommend strongly OEQF for my OE
    >> 6.00.2800.1437 -- it is not so easy for me to recommend OEQF for your
    >> 6.00.2900.2869 -- but I would be perfectly happy to hear from you
    >> about it if you are using it.

    > I am.

    Does this configuration information affect/bother you?

    <snip>
    Configuring Outlook Express

    If you are using Windows XP SP2, please mind the following:

    OE-QuoteFix uses external files to color quoted material and to replace
    emoticons with icons. After installing WinXP SP2, OE is configured by
    default to block automatic downloads of external content. That means the
    coloring and icons features in OE-QuoteFix will not work. If you wish to
    use these features, you must disable the block in OE under [Tools |
    Options | Security].

    Furthermore, SP2 makes changes in OE's Read all messages in plain text
    feature. Instead of using an IE control, it now uses the RichEdit
    control. OE-QuoteFix' Viewing features will not function at all if you
    enable the plain text feature in OE under [Tools | Options | Read].
    </snip>
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/docs/usage.html

    I don't like that OE/ Tools/ Options/ Security config and I don't like
    that OE/ Tools/ Options/ Read config.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  20. kwh001

    WhzzKdd Guest

    kwh001 wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> The only fine tuning I would suggest would be to put an additonal
    >> empty line or so after your last words before you hit the sig
    >> button. Notice that my sig has at least one empty line after my
    >> last words before my sig.
    >>
    >> The other fine tuning will have to come with practice and experience.
    >> That is how much of the other person's words to trim away before you
    >> put your reply. Some people feel that it is 'presumptuous' to be
    >> editing the other person's words. Other people feel that if they
    >> take out any of the other person's words, that they should show
    >> where the words were removed.
    >>
    >> Personally, I remove other people's words a really lot and I don't
    >> show my editing marks with a <snip> or anything, but I feel
    >> obligated to try to not change any of the meaning of the other
    >> person's words when I remove stuff.
    >>
    >> I can't give you a lecture or guidelines about that. You will have
    >> to find your own way. Suffice it to say that trimming is very very
    >> important for contextualizers. If you don't trim, the top posters
    >> will call you a 'bottom poster'.

    > Thanks for your time Mike.

    Thank you for listening. Mike is offering very useful information that will
    make your "journey through usenet" much more profitable and pleasant - for
    you and those who you converse with.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 18, 2007