    fix it to the way it used to be?

    Hope someone can help.

    Don
    Don, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Don

    °Mike° Guest

    You should not reply directly to the author's email
    address; you should reply to group.

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:42:56 -0400, in
    <>
    Don scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Don wrote:

    > I used to be able to reply directly to a note in Newsgroups. I can still
    > reply to the author of a note but it has to go to the entire newsgroup. I
    > used to be able to reply directly to the author of a note. But now for
    > some reason, a box pops up when I click on "reply" that asks me to choose
    > a profile.
    >
    > There is a drop down box of profiles but none of the selections are
    > Outlook
    > Express which is what I use. How in the world did this happen that I
    > can't
    > reply directly to the author of a note when using a newsgroup? How can I
    > fix it to the way it used to be?

    As Mike said, you should reply to the group, not to the author. There are
    twp reasons for that:

    1. Vitually all mail addresses in newsgroup postings are "munged"
    (intentionally garbled, as mine is) to prevent spammer robots from
    harvesting them. If you post messages with your email address unmunged, you
    are just asking for rafts of spam. If you try to reply to one of these your
    message will bounce.

    2. In a public help group like 24hoursupport.helpdesk, replies are always
    made to the group as a way of ensuring that the advice given isn't
    spurious. You've seen the crap our resident trolls post. What happens if
    they email something like that to someone and it's taken seriously? Not A
    Good Thing.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Righto. I understand that all notes should be addressed to the group and I
    usually always do. But, there are times when I don't want to reply
    publically especially if it has nothing to do with the subject. Strange, I
    know, but there are times.

    My e-mail address is garbled in the newsgroups too. So maybe that's the
    answer. But, I don't think so because I know some people have their real
    e-mail addresses on there and I still get the pop-up window nonsense. I
    know some people who have their real addresses on there in the medical
    topics because I have replied to them directly before.

    I still think there is something wrong.

    Don

    Don, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Don

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:43:12 -0400, in
    <>
    Don scrawled:

    >Righto. I understand that all notes should be addressed to the group and I
    >usually always do. But, there are times when I don't want to reply
    >publically especially if it has nothing to do with the subject.

    Even MORE reason NOT to reply to the sender. I would
    NOT be happy if you mailed me about something unrelated
    to a newsgroup post; hell, I'd not be happy if you mailed
    me about something that DID relate to a usenet post.
    Mail is mail, usenet is usenet -- people don't want their
    inbox invaded by a miriad of usenet morons. Keep it
    in the group ... ALWAYS.

    > Strange, I know, but there are times.

    There shouldn't be ... EVER.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Don

    gangle Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote
    > Don scrawled:
    >
    > >Righto. I understand that all notes should be addressed to the group and I
    > >usually always do. But, there are times when I don't want to reply
    > >publically especially if it has nothing to do with the subject.

    > Even MORE reason NOT to reply to the sender. I would
    > NOT be happy if you mailed me about something unrelated
    > to a newsgroup post; hell, I'd not be happy if you mailed
    > me about something that DID relate to a usenet post.
    > Mail is mail, usenet is usenet -- people don't want their
    > inbox invaded by a miriad of usenet morons. Keep it
    > in the group ... ALWAYS.
    >
    > > Strange, I know, but there are times.

    > There shouldn't be ... EVER.

    Watch for my email to get my opinion on this.
    gangle, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Don

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:18:04 -0700, in
    <>
    gangle scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote
    >> Don scrawled:
    >>
    >> >Righto. I understand that all notes should be addressed to the group and I
    >> >usually always do. But, there are times when I don't want to reply
    >> >publically especially if it has nothing to do with the subject.

    >> Even MORE reason NOT to reply to the sender. I would
    >> NOT be happy if you mailed me about something unrelated
    >> to a newsgroup post; hell, I'd not be happy if you mailed
    >> me about something that DID relate to a usenet post.
    >> Mail is mail, usenet is usenet -- people don't want their
    >> inbox invaded by a miriad of usenet morons. Keep it
    >> in the group ... ALWAYS.
    >>
    >> > Strange, I know, but there are times.

    >> There shouldn't be ... EVER.

    >Watch for my email to get my opinion on this.

    Well, I thought it was self-evident that mutants don't
    follow the rules.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2004