    do this. Any help is appreciated.

    Thanking you in advance,
    Charlie

    cag, Nov 8, 2007

  2. cag

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 05:42:01 -0500, in message <cKBYi.2$>,
    cag wrote:

    > Is there a feature in Thunderbird that can automatically notify you when
    > your email was opened by the receiver of the email? I know Outlook can
    > do this. Any help is appreciated.

    While composing your email, pull down the "Options" menu and select "Return Receipt".

    Also: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Figuring_out_whether_the_recipient_read_your_message

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Nov 8, 2007

  3. cag

    cag Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 05:42:01 -0500, in message <cKBYi.2$>,
    > cag wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a feature in Thunderbird that can automatically notify you when
    >> your email was opened by the receiver of the email? I know Outlook can
    >> do this. Any help is appreciated.

    > While composing your email, pull down the "Options" menu and select "Return Receipt".
    >

    >> Thanking you in advance,
    >> Charlie

    > Also: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Figuring_out_whether_the_recipient_read_your_message

    But that won't work automatically. The recipient doesn't have to
    respond. The problem here is that we are working with an individual who
    claims he doesn't always receive our emails (some he gets, some he
    doesn't). Everyone else seems to receive our emails except for this one
    person. When we are done with this person (hopefully within a few
    weeks), I won't have to think about this anymore. I don't want to know
    anything except that he or the server he is using has received the
    email. That way we can show him the receipt and put an end to certain
    nonsense.

    cag, Nov 8, 2007
  4. cag

    dino Guest

    cag wrote:
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 05:42:01 -0500, in message
    >> <cKBYi.2$>,
    >> cag wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a feature in Thunderbird that can automatically notify you
    >>> when your email was opened by the receiver of the email? I know
    >>> Outlook can do this. Any help is appreciated.

    >> While composing your email, pull down the "Options" menu and select
    >> "Return Receipt".
    >>

    >>> Thanking you in advance,
    >>> Charlie

    >> Also:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Figuring_out_whether_the_recipient_read_your_message
    >>

    > But that won't work automatically. The recipient doesn't have to
    > respond. The problem here is that we are working with an individual who
    > claims he doesn't always receive our emails (some he gets, some he
    > doesn't). Everyone else seems to receive our emails except for this one
    > person. When we are done with this person (hopefully within a few
    > weeks), I won't have to think about this anymore. I don't want to know
    > anything except that he or the server he is using has received the
    > email. That way we can show him the receipt and put an end to certain
    > nonsense.

    In every application I've seen there is the option as to how the return
    receipts are handled and that is at the discretion of the receiver.
    AFAIK there is no way to force a return receipt. It's not like a
    delivery report for a mobile phone text message.

    dino, Nov 8, 2007
  5. cag

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 06:30:30 -0500, in message <FrCYi.1$>,
    cag wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    > > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 05:42:01 -0500, in message <cKBYi.2$>,
    > > cag wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is there a feature in Thunderbird that can automatically notify you when
    > >> your email was opened by the receiver of the email? I know Outlook can
    > >> do this. Any help is appreciated.

    > > While composing your email, pull down the "Options" menu and select "Return Receipt".
    > >

    > >> Thanking you in advance,
    > >> Charlie

    > > Also: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Figuring_out_whether_the_recipient_read_your_message
    > >

    > But that won't work automatically. The recipient doesn't have to
    > respond.

    You asked for like Outlook. It is the same in Outlook -- the recipient
    does not have to respond.

    A. If the sender uses Outlook to request a return receipt, the
    recipient does not have to respond.

    B. If the recipient uses Outlook, there is an Outlook setting
    to ask whether or not to respond.

    I know this -- we use Outlook at work, and
    A. Not everyone responds to my return receipt requests
    B. I have configured my Outlook to ask me whether or not to respond
    to return receipt requests from others.

    > The problem here is that we are working with an individual who
    > claims he doesn't always receive our emails (some he gets, some he
    > doesn't). Everyone else seems to receive our emails except for this one
    > person. When we are done with this person (hopefully within a few
    > weeks), I won't have to think about this anymore. I don't want to know
    > anything except that he or the server he is using has received the
    > email. That way we can show him the receipt and put an end to certain
    > nonsense.

    It depends on which email client the recipient is using, and whether
    the Administrator of the recipient's PC can & will lock the recipient's
    email client down to force it to respond to return receipts.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Nov 8, 2007
  6. cag wrote:
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 05:42:01 -0500, in message <cKBYi.2$>,
    >> cag wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a feature in Thunderbird that can automatically notify you when
    >>> your email was opened by the receiver of the email? I know Outlook can
    >>> do this. Any help is appreciated.

    >> While composing your email, pull down the "Options" menu and select "Return Receipt".
    >>

    >>> Thanking you in advance,
    >>> Charlie

    >> Also: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Figuring_out_whether_the_recipient_read_your_message
    >>

    > But that won't work automatically. The recipient doesn't have to
    > respond. The problem here is that we are working with an individual who
    > claims he doesn't always receive our emails (some he gets, some he
    > doesn't). Everyone else seems to receive our emails except for this one
    > person. When we are done with this person (hopefully within a few
    > weeks), I won't have to think about this anymore. I don't want to know
    > anything except that he or the server he is using has received the
    > email. That way we can show him the receipt and put an end to certain
    > nonsense.

    its the old "I didn't get the message" story. I know they
    get it but they clain they didn't. TB return receipts won't
    work because the person at the other end doesn't have to
    accept it. So you have to look other places such as:

    http://www.returnreceipt.com/returnreceipt/login.asp
    http://www.readnotify.com/
    http://www.selfdestructing.com/
    http://www.didtheyreadit.com/
    http://www.msgtag.com/

    and so forth.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 8, 2007
  7. cag

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:55:22 -0800, in message <fgvift$fni$>,
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > cag wrote:

    >> But that won't work automatically. The recipient doesn't have to
    >> respond. The problem here is that we are working with an individual who
    >> claims he doesn't always receive our emails (some he gets, some he
    >> doesn't).

    ---snippage---

    > its the old "I didn't get the message" story. I know they
    > get it but they clain they didn't. TB return receipts won't
    > work because the person at the other end doesn't have to
    > accept it. So you have to look other places such as:
    >
    > http://www.returnreceipt.com/returnreceipt/login.asp
    > http://www.readnotify.com/
    > http://www.selfdestructing.com/
    > http://www.didtheyreadit.com/
    > http://www.msgtag.com/
    >
    > and so forth.

    The recipient can block these, too, by blocking remote images.

    These work by inserting as remote image in the (HTML) email.
    When the image is downloaded from the web server, the web
    server knows the email has been opened and sends a read
    notification to the sender.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Privacy_basics_-_Thunderbird

    --
    Cheers